• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

WOW! I should have bought one of these before

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I just bought a 7.62x39 bolt rifle with a 16.1" 1:9 barrel.

I bore sighted it yesterday. With Barnaul 123-gr FMJ at 35 yards and rested on my truck bed with a rolled up towel, it shot the bottom left 2-shots, the first two rounds thru it.

1694106598248.png

I adjusted and got the 3-shot group in the second photo. Then I moved out to 75-yards and dialed in three clicks right, and got three in the center of the first target. I’m kinda pleased considering the lack of a good rest.

1694106642340.png

Yeah, I should have bought one before now….

Nice shooting!

By the way…
You wouldn’t be caught using a vehicle as a benchrest in California. You might not get in trouble for it, but you absolutely could.

There’s a law about shooting from a vehicle. I think the word “from” gives the state a large legal latitude in prosecutions.

Nice shooting!

By the way…
You wouldn’t be caught using a vehicle as a benchrest in California. You might not get in trouble for it, but you absolutely could.

There’s a law about shooting from a vehicle. I think the word “from” gives the state a large legal latitude in prosecutions.

I used to live in NJ and know a guy who got a ticket for deer hunting while sitting in the bed of his truck. The game warden was nice enough to just site him for something like unsafe handling of a firearm which was only a fine, he could have been charged with having a loaded firearm inside a vehicle and shooting from a vehicle which are arrestable criminal offenses.

Most game wardens I know would just give you the old " *wink wink* you may not wanna do that" speech for doing something like like that where it's "technically" illegal but the law is moronic. But as you said they have lots of leeway....

But anywhoozle to the OP, what type of rifle? Definitely impressive. I've never owned anything in 7.62 Russian but have always been curious how well they perform as a target round.

I should have mentioned the rifle. It's a pretty plain Ruger American Scout. It's a hoot to shoot now that I know how accurate it can be at the distances I shoot ( <200-yards ). About the same energy as a .30-30

We want pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

I'm a fan of 7.62x39 and lots of folks don't relaize the capability.

Nice acquisition Nitesite.
I know right??? What knuckle-dragging miscreant posts a header like that and then doesn't post pics of said amazing rifle??? LOL!!!

I know right??? What knuckle-dragging miscreant posts a header like that and then doesn't post pics of said amazing rifle??? LOL!!!
And as we remember about two years ago when he teased us about that wonderful new turkish double barrel he bought and it was how long before we got pictures?

LOL.

Ernst, I have no excuse. :(
Nitesite, it's great when us "oldtimers" can kid each other and no one gets offended or upset like the majority of the world we live in these days.

Take care my friend and we never say it enough --Thank you for your many years of service to the community! Bless you and the famiiy.

Regards

I find that, being retired, I don’t have to make excuses anymore.

I get to do stuff on my own time.

When you get to a certain age, you eventually just figure that everybody will have to wait.
You just hush now! We're applying some well deserved peer pressure here Cadd. Please don't give nitesite any wise ideas ok? Thanks.....

Sometimes you have to get just the right situation to take a good photograph.

Back