• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster Rimfire Reviews...

A couple of pics of the gun. The scope is a Simmons 3-9 x 32 recommended by LES - great scope for the price!!

8613783336_da95aa7b7f.jpg

8696449728_5f4125c671_z.jpg

I have aspirations to make this a 'survival' rifle and probably keep it in the car once complete. I added a 1.5" extension to the stock rest - probably best for ammo looking at the shape.

Here's a list of what I have collected and HOPE will fit:
- Para cord - external wrap or on sling?
-Space blanket
-Whistle
-Multi tool (mini with pliers)
-Fishing Kit: 8 hooks, swivels, split shot, 25 ft. line, bobber (?)
-Magnesium fire starter (sawsall blade+ better steel striker)
-Ammo (27 stock, 14 bottom rest = 41, is goal 75-100?) full mags on sling or gun x5 - extend bottom rest, PVC Bondo project, extend screw (done)
-Flashlight (mini)
-Battery Energizer 357 x 3
-Wire (cut hangers) structure for foil pot (boil water), etc.
-HD foil (water boil)
-Ziplock bags (water carry)
-Rice pack + salt / season
-Duct tape (wrapped on pencil) 2.5'
-First aid (what is in this?) ----- bandages, antiseptic, neosporin
-Zip ties
-Wire saw
- Fuel cubes - Esbit ( how many fit?)
- Tinder ( compacted dryer lint)
-Trash bag (rain gear)
- mini lighter
- waterproof matches (redundant fire starting intentional)
- mini compass
- solar powered cell phone charger (not packed but available)

Considering mirror to signal, glow sticks - open to suggestions. :D

Once I start packing I'll start a thread with pics of items and how/if they fit!

8729471016_7095aea4c5.jpg

I just purchaed a 702 and was wondering what type of mounts it takes to mount a sling to the fiberglass stock. I also took it out and shot it no issues even with the 25 rd mag. I like this rifle.

max said:
I just purchaed a 702 and was wondering what type of mounts it takes to mount a sling to the fiberglass stock. I also took it out and shot it no issues even with the 25 rd mag. I like this rifle.
I mounted my sling using a wood-type screw system. It is a toss up (vs machine screws) - there is plenty of material to pre drill and mount the wood screws in the rear but the front is a bit thin.

Fortunately the front stock is divided into a number of modular compartments ( making for good rigidity) - the compartment where the screw entered and - once installed - I reinforced it with some epoxy. JB Weld - any strong adhesive would give you the extra support that you may need.

I've been using and carrying the gun for months now - the install worked great and will last for the life of the rifle - IMHO!

PSA has these on sale for $99 with free shipping. Woodbury had 3x9x40 TruGlo scopes with reg rings for $19.99 shipped. Add a brick of 22lr from Cabela's for $23.99 & you have a nice kit for under $150. Can't beat that!

PSA has these on sale for $99 with free shipping. Woodbury had 3x9x40 TruGlo scopes with reg rings for $19.99 shipped. Add a brick of 22lr from Cabela's for $23.99 & you have a nice kit for under $150. Can't beat that!
Got a link on the ammo at Cabela's - not seeing it on line or is that in your local store?!

I go to Slickguns.com & when 22 ammo deals are posted you have minutes to get them. Slickguns links you to the site '& you buy. I live about 80 miles from a Cabelas, have everything shipped to the store & pick up once a month. I try to get young people & older too that don't know about firearms & shooting into the sport or at least to try it so they learn guns are just a tool & not evil.

Well...you guys have talked me into buying one when funds allow I know it's inexpensive but I have to wait unfortunately :(

love mine.. went through about 500 rounds with out a problem. I wish I would have cleaned it before I shot it, the factory grease really holds grit. gave it a real good break down cleaning and it feels smooth as glass now. only gave $107.00 for it a Wal-Mart I may go pick up another for that price.

http://elmtreeforge.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... kster.html
Irons In The Fire Review

Mossberg 702 Plinkster

I had the chance to help in the shakeout run of one of these today. If you haven't seen one before, this is a .22lr semi-auto rifle. The one I fired has a blue finish(the above picture is a chromed model), and a polymer stock. Sights are your basic bead front with hood and U-shaped rear notch, with the welcome feature that the rear adjusts for both windage and elevation, both screw adjustments. And (of course) the receiver is grooved for mounting a scope. Cross-bolt safety. The barrel is 18", and the overall length* about 37". It does have a bolt hold-open, which is the magazine follower: after the last round is fired the follower sticks up high enough to block the bolt.

This thing is light. That polymer stock is injection-molded from the looks, and hollow, helping the rifle into a total weight of 4.1 pounds. Durability? Open question, I have no previous knowledge of these so time will tell. The forend does leave the barrel free-floated

The owner said the trigger, as it came out of the box, was pretty rough; apparently that was from some crud left on the hammer & sear surfaces, as after wiping them clean and putting a dab of grease on them, it became much lighter and cleaner. He did not take the fire-control group apart, as he could find no information on doing so. You may notice from the picture, that the receiver/barrel looks a lot like the Marlin Model 60; disassembly is very similar, but the FCG does not look the same.

The weather being cloudy, cold and windy, this was tried out on a 25-yard indoor range. And the lights at the backstop were out, which didn't exactly help with aiming. We tried it out with four different brands: Remington Golden Bullet hollowpoints, Winchester hollowpoints, Federal Champion and Russian Vostok target ammo(had a couple of boxes I bought to try.

The trigger broke cleanly, I'd guess at about five pounds. And the thing ate all the ammo, including the Vostok, with only one bobble. At the very end, I loaded a mag with a few of each, all mixed together, and one of the (I think) Vostok cases didn't clear the bolt before it closed. That was the only problem in about 200 rounds, which isn't bad for an inexpensive rifle on its first outing. Ejection varied from forward and left(a long way forward) for the Remington and Winchester, less so on angle and distance with the Federal, and slightly back and only a couple of feet away for Vostok.

As I mentioned above, with basic sights and not-too-good light I'm not going to state "This is the level of accuracy"; I will say that all these cartridges easily stayed within 1.5" groups. I'd love to put a scope on this and try it at 50 yards with a solid rest.

There was one problem, and that was with the magazine. There's an open slot at the back corner on the left side, and I think that's where the trouble lies. You'd get five rounds in and sometimes something would stick. You'd have to push on the top cartridge and/or on the rims of the cartridges below to get things free. It did this several times. Being new to this, I have no way of knowing if it was this particular magazine, or something in the design.

Overall, not a bad little rifle. Short, light, it ate all ammo tried and showed good accuracy. And the guy picked it up for the price of $99. Not on sale, regular price. Kim has referred to a .22 rifle as a household commodity, and this thing seems to fit the bill: something you could stick in the closet or by the door to deal with pests, or put in the trunk or back of the truck for the same reasons.

*The chrome version has a 21" barrel, and it can be had in a 'Bantam' version with a 2" shorter stock.
I have one and love it. May get another I also have several tigers and a Henry my trigger is smooth compared to My ruger

I got mine used from a local pawn shop. Probably got rooked on the price but it shoots great now that I got a couple of new mags for it and a red dot sight. This one came with the apparently older steel sights rather than the newer plastic tru-glow ones. As mentioned in a different post I had issues running CCI Stingers through the original mag however, Federal Champion HPs shot fine as did Aguila .22 Super Extra lead rounds. The original mag did work with the Stingers when I loaded them in every other round. Not sure how old this one is but the first review dated back in 2010 describes the same sights on this one. I'll be taking this one out for our Spring Squirrel Season next month so we'll see how many of them critters I can bag with it.

Correction... My front sight is apparently plastic as the gun hit the floor once and the blade broke off... I found it and glued it back on with some jewelry glue. Also had issues with the Promag mags and the stingers. Posted elsewhere about that.

Back