• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

No comparison to the LEE 1oz slug.

Look back in this thread and you will see what I mean about the penetration and damage the LEE slug will do.

Also not the safest (cut shell)

Agreed, not a slug replacement but a handy trick to know in case if ever needed. Several other youtube videos like Iraqveteran8888 show better results.

Last edited:
Well I tried making some shorty slugs today out in the garage with some Winchester AA ( 2-3/4 1oz number 8) and the wad was correct fit for the lee 1oz slug, but the column was too tall for a roll crimp. So just going to glue the slug in so the 3 I tried don't go to waste. Thinking the 1-1/8oz wad might work if the wad left the slug lower in the column.

Did have 5 shells of estate cartridge as seen in a previous post (2-3/4 1-1/8oz) and the roll crimp worked well. My COL was right at 2". The Jackal how did you get down to 1.70?

You might have to trim the shot cup some and adjust the cut on the hull itself.

I ventured to the hardware store today and picked up a box of Estate cartridge field and target (2.75 x 3.25 dram x 1oz) and got to work. And boy am I hooked. Yes I cut the upper portion of the wad down to just the radius on the Lee 1oz slug and seated the slug in the shell. After the roll crimp I am down to 1.85 COL. I am very happy with this length I can get 10+1 rounds loaded instead of 8+1.

AND FOR THE COOL PART: I found a Homemade 'roll crimper' on another forum (Handloaders Bench) and it works really good. With the exception im using a 25/32 6pt 3/8 drive socket. Guess not all sockets are created equal. My 3/4 socket rubbed and griped the side of the shell and made it impossible to hang on to; you also need a 5/16 carriage bolt 2" long at least and the proper nut and lock washer.

With a newish coarse file and a fine cut file I was done and started crimping in 12 minutes. At the top of the page there is also a clever jig to hold the shells for crimping for those extended crimping sessions. I haven't made the shell clamp...yet.;)

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum99/19404-1.html

Fun? Oh, yeah...trying to find time to make a few, give or take a couple zeros, more...

My COL was right at 2". The Jackal how did you get down to 1.70?

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check in here very much anymore.

I absolutely ****ing HATE the new layout because I have such a hard time seeing which posts are new, updated, or pretty much anything at all.

I'd looked through MidwayUSA's wad selection, looking for the wads with the shortest tower between the powder and shotcup.

I found the Remington RP-12, and they were on sale for a very good price, so I bought a thousand.

A4bXCOI.jpg

Granted, these wads WILL NOT WORK out of the bag - you need to modify them.

I didn't realize at the time, but there are little plastic bars molded down the insides of the shotcup, which prevents a Lee slug from sliding in.

567JdF5.jpg

Here's my method for trimming the wads, from left to right.

Unmodified out of the bag - trimmed to length - plastic bars cut out & ready to load.

It's a slow, tedious affair that will leave you with sore fingers - but I bought 1000 of the things for this, so goddammit I'm gonna use 'em.

I like to do one step at a time for an entire bag.

I'll flip a movie on, grab a bag, and cut all the petals to length with scissors - I cannot stress enough how important a pair of GOOD, SHARP scissors are - they make all the difference.

Once that's done, I'll start cutting the bars out with an Exacto.

Everything else is easy, literally just remove the shot/wad from an Estate shell, replace with this wad and a Lee slug, and roll crimp them.

I achieve a consistent Overall Length of 1.75" just eyeballing it and running my particular roll-crimp tool to just touching the top of the painted "8" on the shell.

GNtqgWv.jpg

Glad you found the right combo for your LEE reloads. They look good.

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with the new layout.
It took me a bit to get used to it also but once you do it works great.:)

Another shell to look at is the Federal target load 2 3/4" 1145fps #8 shot.
They have a two piece wad/shotcup which makes it great for the LEE 1oz slug.

Last edited:
So I had a brainwave regarding wads suitable for even shorter slugs.

Why not just eliminate everything except the base of the shot cup?

So long as it's base is flat and provides a similar seal over the powder charge, I don't foresee it causing issues with blowby or excessive pressure.

UCVRrnS.jpg

e1ZnHIG.jpg

YLWgD20.jpg

Granted I expect them to be wholly inaccurate, and they're almost guaranteed to have issues cycling, they'd be an interesting novelty.

Like you said nice novelty if they don't cycle well.
Work good in a side by side.;)

Well it isn't too far off from an Aguila mini shell.
untitled.png
Enjoy the recoil...

Im thinking of taking the lower end of the RP-12 off with a band saw and placing the original shot cup on top, just to save all that work.

I'd watch it on the band saw with any live ammo. Don't want any heat build up.

NEVER on live ammo... The RP-12 wad fresh out of the bag. like Jackal is up to with his exacto. but cut the wad off below the cup, and substitute with the cup that was holding the shot.

Back