• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

I just purchased a Western Field model 550AE, essentially a Mossberg 500. I have disassembled and reassembled the action twice. The problem I have is that the slide assembly will not come out. Something is blocking the slide action arms. They will not come straight forward out of the frame as the 500 does. I want them out because the slide action is stiff and the arms must need a little judicious honing. Can anyone help?
I have sent a request to Mossberg service but no response.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your "new to you"Mossy.

You will need to remove the mag tube to get the action tube off. Older 550's and 600's use a mag tube that the slide assembly comes off backwards compared to the newer 500's. It has a collar on it.
old type mag tube.jpg

Your welcome sir.

Some of those mag tubes are held in with loctite. You might have to use a heat gun on the receiver where the mag tube threads in.;)

Thanks again. I was just out in the shop with the gun disassembled, wondering how the devil I was going to get the mag tube off w/o marring it up. I don't have a heat gun or hair dryer. I'll try heating the receiver using my wife's electric iron.

Thanks, Mossy. That worked like a charm. I could not resolve my problem. There are two rings spot welded to the mag tube approx 5 inches apart. I believe these function as stops for the slide fore & aft. These rings are welded on the tube cockeyed, so the slide binds slightly at the end of both the fore & aft movement. It thus prevents any really fast pump action for follow up shots. I'll have to see if Numrich or Mossberg have any mag tube assemblies, live with the problem , or sell the gun. Thanks again for your help.

You should be able to find one for about 30=35. Just make sure you get the correct length depending on the barrel length.(5 shot tube or 7 shot tube)

I have the same setup. if its truly binding I would just sand the rings until the slide moves easily over the tube. I assume there is nothing wrong with the tube.

Thanks mbshop. I'll give that a try. I did do some sanding on what appeared to be high spots on the misaligned rings. I didn't want to go too far because I don't know the function of the two rings on the tube. Do you know what they are there for? Nothing wrong with the tube. It is perfectly straight cylinder with no dents or bends.

basically the rings are there for the tube to slide over. less surface, less friction, smoother action. this was an early design but I think for simplicities sake and for
$$$$$$$ savings they went to the current design. that coil spring also helps the smoothness of the action and also helps prevent the slide from rattling as much as the current ones do. at least mine doesn't. can I ask a question ? do both the arms move up and down a little bit ? one of my arms doesn't move near at all while the other one does. not sure its a problem but I have nothing to compare with. thanks.

ok, that kind of makes no sense to me so I may have not asked correctly. you have the metal action slide that has the two arms that come out. these are the two that go into the receiver. they are pinned to the tube. these can't go for and aft in the direction of the tube because of the pinning. but they can go up and down from the tube axis. again I have only one that will move a little, the other won't. to be sure I'm not sure if its important or not. thanks,

Yes, when the gun is disassembled and the slide is off the tube, both arms are free and can move up and down a little on the pin pivot. If your gun cycles ok, I wouldn't worry if one arm is tight on the pin. Do you have any trouble reassembling the arms into the receiver?

it assembles fine. I guess I'm just worried if that arms rigidity might put undue pressure on the inside and cause excessive wear. i'll just keep an eye on it.
its not like I will be shooting that much anyway. thanks for the help !

How do you like it now?

That extension has got to change the overall balance, especially with the lightweight skeleton stock...

Back