• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

I'm pretty sure none of the replacement safetys require any modifications. Be sure to open your action all the way back before you change your safety switch, safety block can fall into the gun if you don't. I got rid of the original one-way screw and replaced it with a hex screw. Correct size is listed in a post of mine a few above this one.

pretty simple why the plastic safety button breaks.....look at it, it's plastic and between the screw hole and the adjacent edge there's just no meat, then compound it by tightening down a screw head right where it's skinniest......yea they break. It's a easy fix.If you can disassemble your reciever and use a screwdriver you can do it. I bought a metal button from havlinsales($10) configured just like the plastic button and a hex head cap screw in 6/32. The screw was too long but i used the old screw to fit for length,cut down new screw, reassemble safety. The head on the cap screw was thick enough so when it;s tightened down top of screw head protrudes slightly above button body giving me a little hump for more purchase.....you can buy a fancy expensive safety button if you choose but really all you need is a replacement metal button. And don't put that doggone one way screw back in.....all you really need is a 6/32 screw the right length with a head that will fit in the mortise of the button for the screw head. There''s no need to pay a gunsmith to install a Mossberg 500 safety.......Mike

I went with the Brownell's safety on my Mossberg 500.
I like that big bump on it as it is easy to find in low light conditions and rather reassuring that I can find it easily in those situations.
I know it isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

I just installed 2 of the Brownells style safeties (though my were made by Promag) on two of my 500As.

Very nice improvement. Pics to follow..

UlB3j8c
v2tEA7L.jpg

I have had the Promag version of the Brownells safety for a few years now on my A1 and love it. The stock metal one that came with the gun still left a lot to be desired, but with the Promag on the shotty, there's no way my thumb could slip off.

Havlinsales has a metal safety same config as plastic factory safety.... when you install it with a socket head cap screw the screw head provides protrusion that that the countersunk one way factory screw doesn't have..... works fine for at about 10 bucks each.

I have had the Promag version of the Brownells safety for a few years now on my A1 and love it. The stock metal one that came with the gun still left a lot to be desired, but with the Promag on the shotty, there's no way my thumb could slip off.
x2 on this. I've had one on my 590 since I got the gun. Won't go back and won't use anything else. It just simply works. I made a short video about it here:

So I have notice that it doesn't come with a new screw so where can I get a replacement screw since the one in my shotty cannot be reused. Thanks for the replies.

Back