• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CMP Special Grade

15418836188_ac787ef4a0.jpg

Here's her grandpa's pic… That's not a Garand now that I've got a good look at it again today. On the top of his right hand is a bolt knob resting on his index finger. You can see that there maybe is a sling attachment on the side of the rifle 6 inches above his left hand. I can't tell what rifle that is anyone have a clue?

Yeah I can go with that. Hard to tell on the scanned picture so I grabbed the original and I can see a circular front sight post faintly. Thanks!

Oh man, I missed the pics yesterday. Very nice WM! You'll be ready if the Nazi U-Boats ever come back to Long Island again;)

"CMP Offers Online Training Course on M1 Garand Maintenance -

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is offering an online course on the proper maintenance techniques for the M1 Garand rifle. The course will be presented by CMP Custom Shop Manager, John McClean, and will include both videos and a live Q&A with McClean. The course is expected to run about 90 minutes. The topics covered include proper tools, the disassebly and reassembly of the rifle, lubrication, cleaning and storage, and instruction in how to use the various gauges designed for the M1. The course cost is $25. For an additional $25 students can also purchase a downloadable version of the webinar. The webinar requires the use of Adobe Connect. The course will be offered on multiple dates and times. For more information and to register, go to the M1 Garand Maintenace Webinar page."

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/10/2...mpaign=Weekly+Newsletter#sthash.iqOzGzuX.dpuf

Nice... the brownells video seemed to be very comprehensive for me. I was able to tear down, clean, and reassemble with no issues other than me trying to put on the gas tube on backwards like a goon.

I just thought you may be interested in seeing it.

You do know, WM, that to really get proficient with that fantastic rifle you are going to subject it to the inevitable light dings and dents and scratches.

Once you get past that dilema of the heart, everything will really fall into place and you will know that you are a rifleman. Cuz' capable riflemen don't flash their pristine guns. They have a rifle that's been thru whatever it took from any rest, any position, any weather to make that one shot. And be always ready to come back for more. Your rifle wouldn't look trashed, it wouldn't be sorry looking, and it certinly wouldn't look like a war-beater... but it will no longer appear pristine. You are that rifleman, and you know it.

Call me cray-cray..... that's how I feel.

15418836188_ac787ef4a0.jpg

Here's her grandpa's pic… That's not a Garand now that I've got a good look at it again today. On the top of his right hand is a bolt knob resting on his index finger. You can see that there maybe is a sling attachment on the side of the rifle 6 inches above his left hand. I can't tell what rifle that is anyone have a clue?

Do you know where the picture was taken WM? It looks like there's a front stock band (metal) and side sling mount just behind that on the left side of the gun... I bet you it's a Mauser K98

I do agree with nitesite.

While I believe that each of us try to really take care of our guns and gear, and even take pride in having nice things because it is increasingly harder and harder to do these days, it is inevitable that the gun(s) will wear with use. Heck, I've already got scuffs near the muzzle of the uzi and a dent in the stock that wasn't there 3 weeks ago. And I was just practicing with it and getting comfortable with it. [rolleyes]

I pray that none of us ever have to use our weapons in a life or death situation, though I feel confident that there are many among us that could if no other option is given. And I appreciate the many veteran members that have for us.

ugh… could be an Enfield too based on the cap at the end of the wood and barrel continues.
Sorry didn't see this post before... most of the Enfield models (other than jungle carbine versions) had the "mannlicher" style stock that came all the forward to the front of the barrel. Enfield's also make use of a detachable 10 round magazine, by the picture I'm not seeing one ;)

My money's still on the K98:D

You do know, WM, that to really get proficient with that fantastic rifle you are going to subject it to the inevitable light dings and dents and scratches.

Once you get past that dilema of the heart, everything will really fall into place and you will know that you are a rifleman. Cuz' capable riflemen don't flash their pristine guns. They have a rifle that's been thru whatever it took from any rest, any position, any weather to make that one shot. And be always ready to come back for more. Your rifle wouldn't look trashed, it wouldn't be sorry looking, and it certinly wouldn't look like a war-beater... but it will no longer appear pristine. You are that rifleman, and you know it.

Call me cray-cray..... that's how I feel.

No doubt. You should see my ccw pistol I've taken through 4 eight hour courses.... One course was weapon's retention... it's got some war scars and so will the Garand. I'm trying to save up the ammo to take it through a course next year for S&G.

I pray that none of us ever have to use our weapons in a life or death situation, though I feel confident that there are many among us that could if no other option is given. And I appreciate the many veteran members that have for us.

Truth

Do you know where the picture was taken WM? It looks like there's a front stock band (metal) and side sling mount just behind that on the left side of the gun... I bet you it's a Mauser K98
I have zero info on the date and time of the picture. The people who know are either passed or my wife's family do not speak with them (Sicilian's have some grudges). I'll look at the K98 pictures tonight, Thanks!

Back