• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo~ patterns and techniques for firearms, bows and gear

Me too.

One of my paint projects I'll attempt to recreate A-TACS FG in sponge camo. It'll be a few months before I get to it though. Gotta wait 'til the weather clears up and gets a bit warmer. I'm really liking the new Kryptec stuff as well...

Highlander

Typhon

well i just tried sponge......I suck

I would totally do Kryptec Highlander....its awesome here but I think that paint job would cost more than I want to pay

@JohnA. How has the water dip held up? And what paint did you use? I've seen it done on quad parts before, but not on firearms.

better show it being done so i can copy your ass

Will do.

I plan on a step-by-step thread. I've printed off the stencils on adhesive backed vinyl paper and cutting them out is a pain in the @$$. Laid the base coat down and it took to the barrel and scope, but the poly stock is gonna take some doing. It's on hold until the weather gets a bit warmer and it's not pissing rain all the time. I'll keep you posted...

@JohnA. How has the water dip held up? And what paint did you use? I've seen it done on quad parts before, but not on firearms.

I don't own any of them anymore, although the longevity is largely determined by the quality of clear coat that you use. Use a cheap clearcoat that isn't very durable, then it's not going to hold up very well.

thanks OA !

Been messin around , I like the dark but I don't have the heart to put any of it on any of my AR's

Oli, I'm going to blame this on you, even though I had plans of doing it anyway LOL

I went on liquidprints website and I was able to pick up a meter of film and can of activator for $38 plus shipping which is enough materials to do one of the water immersion dips on the crossbow that I bought off of MikeD last year, but it was so close to deer season when I got the money to be able to buy it, I was afraid to refinish it then due to not having enough time for the smell to air out so it didn't scare off every deer on the mountain.

Sadly, since I wanted the aerosol film activator to make things more simple, it has to ship ground and costs $25 shipping itself unfortunately, but it's still better priced than those companies who are reselling the kits wanting $100 or more for half of what I need, plus there was a particular pattern that I wanted to use considering that I'll be in a treestand and from a deadfall ground blind to get the most versatile pattern for me.

I didn't buy the paint or clearcoat from them because I can get a good auto clearcoat locally and wanted to match the color specifically to where I'm hunting for obvious reasons. While a generic base coat like would come with one of the prepackaged kits would probably work alright, my OCD says I'm going to do it right.

So here's what I have in mind.

water%20immersion%20camo%20dip%20process%20001_zpspzipxf7t.jpg

And custom matching the colors to the pattern where I'll mostly be using it. And yes, I did paint on a tree. What other way would I be able to match?

water%20immersion%20camo%20dip%20process%20003_zpsgumprlsg.jpg

And while a few of the colors were pretty close matches, looks like the desert tan won out.

water%20immersion%20camo%20dip%20process%20006_zpsvk6cbzpa.jpg

Well, the first coat was put on last night, but unfortunately it didnt' turn out right and was still tacky this morning and I had to spend an hour and a half cleaning it off with acetone to start all over again.

Sunofa......

Well, so far so good. The fresh coat is on there, and I made it with some newer hardener and two other paint colors blended to approximate the same shade that I threw out this morning, I think it's going to work out alright this time.

The stock is still a little shiny looking in this picture because it's still freshly painted, but the glossy appearance will tone down once it's dry and cured and all the solvents have time to flash off. The arms of the bow still have a little shine to them, but you can tell that it's already looking more like a satin sheen than glossy as the stock at this point.

xbow camo 007.JPG
xbow camo 003.JPG

I ordered the camo film and activator yesterday evening and coincidentally, they shipped it yesterday evening too, so it'll probably get here Monday.

The dipping and washing process before the clearcoat is somewhat time consuming and I'm going to take my time with it and do it right, but with any luck, maybe by Wednesday or so it'll look like a tree LOL

skip ahead to about 1:20, but I do recommend wearing gloves.

this is another decent video that goes into more detail, but I don't waste as much film as he does when cutting it. When the activator is applied, the film will "stretch out" more than what it is when it "melts" before putting the part in.

I also wear a paint respirator when spraying the activator, paint and clearcoat.

Back