• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

I bought an older 500AT that had a 28" barrel. Made a "riot gun" out of it, cutting it down to 18". Had a non-ribbed barrel. Gun was ratty so I sold it. My dot was 10 when that pic was taken giving me her "mean" look. :rolleyes: I let her hip fire it once and she almost dropped it! :eek: She initially wanted to put it up against her shoulder until I talked her out of it! :eek:

The 2 barrels are a "before and after" of a NEF single-shot 12ga (I had 2 of the same exact gun). I use a (perfectly square) horizontal bandsaw and deburr tool and wheel, then some cold blue. Note I remounted the sight. I keep new Mossy beads in stock (with drill and tap) because they are a smaller tap size and could always be enlarged, if necessary. I have some 90^ blocks I use to assure the sight is perfectly upright. I've done a dozen or so barrels and they all came out similar to the NEF (OEM-ish)... :)

Attachments

• 500at1.jpg
    500at1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 500at2.jpg
    500at2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 53
  • nononsensegirl.jpg
    nononsensegirl.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 57
  • twin4.jpg
    twin4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 51
thanks. i think i can do a decent job if i find a used barrel. doesn't look that bad actually. great pic of daughter being serious !

I have a 1997 Mossberg 500 in twenty gauge. The barrel has quite a few rusty areas. I have cleaned the spots and attempted a good repair. Not perfect but o.k.
My question is how far gone must a barrel be before buying another? Is there a standard like for auto tires that have the wear bars to indicate it's time to buy a new one?
The integrity of the barrel has not been compromised at this point.

I have a 1997 Mossberg 500 in twenty gauge. The barrel has quite a few rusty areas. I have cleaned the spots and attempted a good repair. Not perfect but o.k.
My question is how far gone must a barrel be before buying another? Is there a standard like for auto tires that have the wear bars to indicate it's time to buy a new one?
The integrity of the barrel has not been compromised at this point.
Where are the rusty spots: inside or outside of the barrel ?

Once rust gets past the bluing of the metal it doesn't stop. Rust on the outside of the barrel shouldn't make the gun unsafe for shooting unless the pits are so deep that it compromises the strength of the barrel.

Do you have a picture of the barrel that you can post?

Wow, you guys are awesome. I will take the plunge on the high capacity kit for my Flex 500. Stay tuned...

Finally, I have converted my field flex to a high cap.

M632Pes.jpg

Back