• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Size Forend Tube Do I Need?

Looking at the first pic, maybe the inside of the forend needs some relieving of material so the nut will fit ?????

Just ordered the nut off Amazon. Saying it should be here by Friday...but I wonder if new years will mess it up? Oh well, we will find out, and I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!!

Yes, the Hogue adapter should fix your issue.

You will likely have to order one, but they're pretty easy to find. Amazon has one for just over $10...

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Forend-...r=8-1&keywords=hogue+adapter+nut+mossberg+500

Not sure why the product description only reads 835, but the part number (05020) is correct and it'll fit the 500 as well. As far as what would happen without it, the only likely result would be that your forend might fall off while you're firing. I don't like the idea of losing control of the muzzle end of my weapon under any circumstances...

Looks like you beat me to Amazon.

They've been pretty consistent delivering around the holidays. I ordered something on my prime account on Christmas day, it shipped the next day (Friday) and it was delivered USPS 2-day on Sunday. I was pretty impressed...

Looks like you beat me to Amazon.

They've been pretty consistent delivering around the holidays. I ordered something on my prime account on Christmas day, it shipped the next day (Friday) and it was delivered USPS 2-day on Sunday. I was pretty impressed...

My shop landlord had Prime. He is ALWAYS getting something delivered... :rolleyes: I am going to place a gun parts order through him soon and maybe grab an mp3 or two... :)

It's awesome!

$99 a year for free 2 day shipping on orders plus access to all the prime video streaming at no extra charge. With the shipping alone it paid for itself in no time...

Well, the nut cam in today. Still no dice. The nut screws on the tube no problem, but the threads are JUUUUST to close to the inside of the forearm. It's time for some of the Dremel action in the morning. Going to Lowes in the morning, and look for a large(ish) drum sander for it, and start a little bit at a time sanding down the inside of the forearm. This is going to work, because I am not giving up. If only the stock forearm had rails, I wouldn't be in the mess, lol. My stock should be in Wednesday, with my laser/light combo Tuesday, and waiting on the hand stop to send confirmation. I ordered it 2-day shipping, but forgot about the holiday, so that may not get here until Monday. Did get the AFG today. It will give me something to hold onto when I start the sanding if nothing else. I'll add more pics when everything starts coming together. Took my Mueller Reflex sight off my 9mm carbine, and it is just dying to go for a ride on the Mossy. I am going to the in-laws tomorrow, so even if I can't the Barska Tri-Rail on, I'll go stock just to get the Mueller sighted in. And thank you all for the advice and help!!

Yes, mine is the 7 5/8". I ordered the Hogue forend nut and after MUCH grinding with the Dremel..like 3 hours including a trip to Loews, aluminum dust all over the place ( now what is that icy hot stuff you mix with it to make Tannerite?) a VERY annoyed Greyhound Doberman mix..and a very understanding wife...SUCCESS!! I had to grind the inside of the Barska forend, and along the top where you see the shiny grind mark, all the way around to the end where the nut goes on. It may not be pretty, but once mounted you will never see it. And this tube is NOT going anywhere!! Here is a quick shot, and more once I get it all together later today or tomorrow.

This is as tight as the nut will go, and I don't want to risk stripping the threads. Sticking out as it is,is this acceptable?

It might be tight but that part of the nut sticking out is not cool.
In the future you may find that the forearm will slide up to the end of the nut.
With all the dremel work you have done already, I say get back to work and make it so the nut goes all the way on.

Nice work so far and on a side note I have modified with a dremel more than my share of forearms to make them fit my and friends 500's

LTB45, you were 100 percent correct. First of all, once I reinstalled the barrel, the heat shield mount prevented the the chamber from closing all the way, thus I preventing the round (shell?) go into battery. I removed the heat shield, and all functioned correctly. I pumped the action a few times, looking for and listening for anything out of place (as much as I could with my very little knowledge of this gun and shotguns in particular) and noticed the nut had loosened considerably. So much so, that when I tightened it as much as I could by hand, I have only about 5 t0 6 threads showing. This much may just allow me to re-install the heat shield once I get it tightened the correct amount, as the nut is now almost flush with the front of the forearm. Needless to say, I did NOT fire it. And as I was at my in-laws and my brother and sister in law were just home this weekend for the holidays, I proceeded to work on my rum and coke drinking skills, and knowing enough about fire arms and spirits the gun went back into its case in the back of the SUV for the rest of the night. So the rest of the work will take place sometime tomorrow.

After all was said and done, the original nut is on and NOT sticking out. I ordered the tool, as I figured it would be the best way yo go, not really something I want to do a half arsed job on. In the meantime, the stock came in so here is a quick pic. Still waiting on the hand-stop, sling mount and the laser/light combo. The sight is a Mueller Quickshot, but I am thinking about getting a longer rail so I can mount it a little farther down the gun. The stock is by Phoenix Technology, but the grip is a tad skinny for my liking, so I may wrap it, or by a grip pad for it.

I have a quick question. I recently put the pinned forend (the checkered one) that came with my 500 back on. I just like the way it feels, better than the other forend I have. Anywho, this thread is the first time I have read anything about the pinned, checkered forend being prone to breakage. Can I ask what usually breaks on the checkered pinned forend, and (if possible) what caused it to break?

I have a quick question. I recently put the pinned forend (the checkered one) that came with my 500 back on. I just like the way it feels, better than the other forend I have. Anywho, this thread is the first time I have read anything about the pinned, checkered forend being prone to breakage. Can I ask what usually breaks on the checkered pinned forend, and (if possible) what caused it to break?

Can't answer the breakage question but I do know that the "plastic" pinned foreends put a lot less wear and tear on the mag. tube. I don't think Mossberg/Maverick would put them on their guns unless they were somewhat "proven"... The issue is when you want to put an aftermarket foreend on.

PS: I have Hogue "Tamers" (foreend and PG) on my 500 and I like them. I would still suggest you try them beforehand to see if you like them. They have a cushiony, rubbery feel to them which I like but some may not.

JayC ,I'm going to re-direct this to @blacksmith who originally mentioned that they were weak.

what usually breaks on the checkered pinned forend, and what caused it to break?

The checkered forends crack right on top, in between the action bars. Like in the photo, sorry couldn't get the real thing. Do not know the cause, and frankly it doesn't make sense for them to crack in this location.

Can't answer breakage question but the "plastic" pinned foreends put a lot less wear and tear on the mag. tube. I don't think Mossberg would put them on their guns unless they were "proven".

Exactly. The ribbed one-piece forends are a good, lightweight rattle-free component. Funny you mention the proven part. Just in the last few weeks I've talked to everyone from CNC operators to doctors and they both say the same thing: everything works great in the trials and falls apart in the real world :mad:

I'm going to re-direct this to @blacksmith who originally mentioned that they were weak.

Don't take my word for it. I might tell ya a story :D

www.calguns.net:

"i noticed that... the forearm grip is cracked a little on the inside portion near the back end of the forearm, when i brought it back... i could exchange it for another, upon inspecting the other 3 shotguns at the dealer all 3 shotguns had the same crack in the same place."

And heres a picture of one that actually went Ka-Boom. Note action bars still in receiver.

Thanks for the reply and pictures! That's really interesting. I don't abuse my 500 by any means, so so far the pinned forend is holding up. Since I'm not into the tactical stuff I actually came around to liking the pinned forend. It just fits my hand better. Anywho, my friend has the same 500 with the same pinned forend I do. He doesn't baby his 500 like I do, and I haven't heard anything about his forend breaking. I hope that, maybe, the reports of broken forends were a bad batch or something? o_O I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm going to keep an eye on my forend and if it breaks I'll certainly mention it. :D

Can't answer the breakage question but I do know that the "plastic" pinned foreends put a lot less wear and tear on the mag. tube. I don't think Mossberg/Maverick would put them on their guns unless they were somewhat "proven"... The issue is when you want to put an aftermarket foreend on.

PS: I have Hogue "Tamers" (foreend and PG) on my 500 and I like them. I would still suggest you try them beforehand to see if you like them. They have a cushiony, rubbery feel to them which I like but some may not.

I've noticed that, too, that the pinned forend puts less wear on my magazine tube. I didn't use my actual slide tube forend too terribly long, but it definitely left its mark on my mag tube. With how open the inside of the pinned forends are, I've been thinking too, that they should be the ultimate in jam proof reliability if you were to get the 500 really dirty. I doubt the slide tube forends would jam that easy anyway, but the thought crossed my mind nonetheless.

Back