• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Size Forend Tube Do I Need?

I checked out my 500 more closely to look at the forend. I think I can see how it broke in that photo. That part of the support is very thin. I can flex it with my finger. While looking at it, I was reminded of when I just got my 500. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it breaking or not, though. Anywho, the wiry part that acts as a tension to keep the action bars down, was disconnected on one side for me. It must have been that way from Mossberg. It was simple enough to put back into place, but it makes me wonder if that piece isn't seated correctly if it cause a stress that leads to a break. Being that part of the support is so thin, it wouldn't surprise me if it could break like that. If my forend breaks, I'll use that as an excuse to get the Hogue forend and stock I've been wanting to get. :D

Thanks for sharing the info.

Do you have any ser# and date of gun ?

Mossberg Serial Numbers

Actually I do. I e-mailed Mossberg a few days ago asking about the date of manufacture for my 500, but I haven't heard back yet. I used the Contact Us link on their site. I hope that's where I was suppose to send it. Anywho, the first four digits of my 500 is U254 and I bought it on September 14, 2012. Until I hear back from Mossberg, according to your serial number database, it looks like my 500 was made sometime in 2011.

Try sending Ms.Norma an email for the birth date. She has also helped members here.:)

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

,,,,and thank you for your info. Every number counts.

Please keep us posted when you hear from Mossberg.

Mossberg Serial Numbers

Thanks for the e-mail address. I sent a message to her, so hopefully I'll know something soon. I'm really curious now. Did you want the whole serial number for the database? I noticed in that thread that people gave the letter and first three numbers, but I could give the whole thing if you prefer.

Brownells lists a separate tube nut for the long and short tubes.

Wouldn't both tubes use the same nut?

The long nut is used on the short forearm (the metal part) when you are attaching a long forearm (plastic or wood part)

I am not referring to "hogue" long nut.

Brownells lists two nuts .. One for the 6-3/4 tube, and one for the 7-3/4 tube. They have the same threads, same inside diameter, same length, but a slightly different outside diameter.

Aren't the action tubes exact except for the length?

Why does brownells list two nuts, and most other places only list one?

I have used the same action tube nut on long and short tubes.

If Brownells is confusing, shop elsewhere.

Havlin was one,of the places I,was referring to that only sells one nut.

I am Canadian, and the US HAS weird regulations post 911 that most places will not sell to Canadians.

Brownells is one of the few. I just wondered why there are two different nuts for something that seems to be the same size, except,for,length.

I have a question. I just bought the Magpul MOE foregrip for my Maverick 88 and the action slide tube is too short do i need the 7 3/4 tube or is there a longer nut I can use? Also when If i do need the longer tube can i reuse my oem nut or do I need this " 7 3/4 " nut I've been seeing on brownells?

I have a question. I just bought the Magpul MOE foregrip for my Maverick 88 and the action slide tube is too short do i need the 7 3/4 tube or is there a longer nut I can use? Also when If i do need the longer tube can i reuse my oem nut or do I need this " 7 3/4 " nut I've been seeing on brownells?

I think there is a "special" extended nut available, probably the one you've seen on Brownell's. I think it is referenced earlier in this thread..

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

PS: check out this PAGE...

Is this the special nut I need? already have the Hogue fore grip on it from oem

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...-required-for-mossberg-835-6-3-4-forend-tubes

Below is the picture of my 88 bone stock out of the box I don't know how well you can see but the fore grip IS NOT molded to the action slide tube and already has what I looks to me like a Hogue grip already.

I've also failed to mention in my previous posts that my 88 is a 20 gauge and all these parts I'm seeing are for 12 does that matter or not?

Attachments

• received_1829379907292809.jpeg
    received_1829379907292809.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well I went ahead and ordered the Hogue foreend adapter nut for the 6 3/4" action slide tubes some guys said they fit right on others said it needed a bit of work but the end result is it fit so fingers crossed.

I'm sure most of you guys are gonna go ape shit for this but saved myself some money and time and cut the action slide tube in half and scabbed in a piece of tube stock over top. Fits like a glove, slides like it's stock and saved about 100$ and around 2 weeks of waiting totally worth it.1475362707499-1108939195.jpg

I finally have my "new to me" 500 in hand. I'd like to put a different forend on it but the one I have in mind is for the 7 3/4" forend tube and of course I have the 6 3/4". Mossberg is out of stock of the 500 action slides but they do have the parkerized action slide for the 590A1 in stock. Is the 590 action slide compatible with the 500A? Indications seem to be that it is but I thought I should check to make certain.

Back