• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Thymebomb:
I would suggest (if your up to it) remove the mag tube, and using a cleaning rod or bore snake, clean the inside of the tube. Wipe down the follower and look for any nicks or odd spots on it. Then reassemble. This will allow you to see if anything is binding or just needs a small file. Then add a drop or two of gun oil and load a few rounds, unload, load, unload... That way you can move the oil around in the tube and work everything in.

Let me know if this helps.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

So I picked this gun up in a trade a couple years ago. Trade a net book for a Mossberg 500 in Woodlands Camo (You know the REALLY ugly camo) and also an old Springfield 22. Anyway it's been a great but but recently it's started light striking from time to time. My first thought was well it's dirty. So I cleaned it up. Took it back out and it did it again but not as much. Right now I have 3 500's in my possession. A 1972 with no firing pin spring and the so called rocker action. This one is a friends that I'm putting new extractors and springs into as well as having Mossberg blue the barrel. Then I have my 1981 Westernfield store brand 500 that has a very weak firing pin spring. Then finally this 2000 500 that has a very stiff firing spring.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm likely to call Mossberg this week if I get time but wanted to seek some web advise as well.

Here's a pic. The top gun is the 22 I got with the trade and the bottom gun is the 500 in question however it's now wearing a 28 inch barrel.

Just wondering if you got this problem taken care of ?

When I shoot my shotgun, usually you have to manually rack the pump back to eject the cartridge and load a new one...well when I shoot it, the pump slides back an inch or two on its own kind of partially ejecting the shell I just shot. It's not because I am pulling it back, I've shot it with just one hand (ie no hand on the pump) and it still does it. Does anybody know what could be the issue??? I was told I just need to clean it really well, but I did that and the issue persists. Oh lastly just an FYI, I've only put about 120-125 shells through it so it's still pretty new, I bought it about 3 months ago.

I don't know if I would call that totally normal... The only shotgun I have shot that did that was a Mossberg 500C 20ga, Pistol Grip version that the trigger assembly wouldn't properly seat into the action. Thus, not allowing proper lockup of all the other mechanisms. It would totally eject the empty casing and load another into the receiver. All you had to do was throw the slide forward and pull the trigger to repeat the process.

After replacing the trigger assembly with a brand new one, the problem stopped. I don't think it is anything to be overly concerned about, might be getting some blowback from gasses that haven't left out the muzzle yet as the breech and bolt face spread apart though. Have you tried contacting Mossberg about it?

When I shoot my shotgun, usually you have to manually rack the pump back to eject the cartridge and load a new one...well when I shoot it, the pump slides back an inch or two on its own kind of partially ejecting the shell I just shot. It's not because I am pulling it back, I've shot it with just one hand (ie no hand on the pump) and it still does it. Does anybody know what could be the issue??? I was told I just need to clean it really well, but I did that and the issue persists. Oh lastly just an FYI, I've only put about 120-125 shells through it so it's still pretty new, I bought it about 3 months ago.

If you're not looking to start replacing parts, one "fix" would be to work on and start shooting your shotty using the push-pull method. Pull on the stock towards your body using our firing hand and push away on the shotgun using your other hand that's on the forend. Not only should that fix your problem but it will also help with recoil management.

ETA -

So, I am not sure that this was an issue with my 500, I think it is more an issue with Mossbergs customer service. I was patterning my 500 with my waterfowl loads. I was trying to see if black cloud ammo gave better results out of different chokes. So, I have two aftermarket chokes made for the black cloud, and they are both full chokes. I looked in the owners manual first, and it stated on page 20, under the accu-choke heading "these chokes are designed to work with lead and steel shot." So I tried the factory chokes. My full choke almost got ripped out of the barrel. So I call mossberg, the guy on the other end says "you should have known not to use the full choke with steel shot." So I told him what the manual said, and his reply was "well the manual is more of a guideline." Then he tells me that the damage was my fault, and I would need to buy another choke. Regardless of it being my fault, the owners manual should state things like "shooting steel shot through a full choke could result in serious injury or death!" I might be crazy, but I don't think I am wrong on this. What would you guys do?

I'd tell them to email me a shipping label on their dime, and I'd also send a scan of the page where it says you can use that choke tube and tell them if it's inaccurate info, they need to change it.

I wouldn't take any lip from them about it.

Yeah and judging by the damage, I don't think that is the result of a charge being sent through a full choke

More times than not that type of damage resembles more of a bulge or cracked or just plain bursted muzzle or choke tube

My opinion is that the choke was not in spec, it looks like the joint was proud internally where the choke meets the bore.....the payload grabbed the edge and folded it over. No way you as the end use could know that unless your related to Clark Kent......and even then Mossberg Customer Service is like Kryptonite

Yes, I figured the shot grabbed the end of the choke in the bore and peeled it out. I am going to call back today and if the guy gives me lip, I'm demanding his supervisor.

I have a 500A camo 12ga with 24" accu-choke. My issue is with the mag tube, I am having trouble inserting more than 1 shell in it. You can also push the spring in and it will not return plus it is very weak. I was told this was a well known issue with this gun, they said the spring has slipped past the plug or was bent. Has anyone else had this issue?

No, but Mossberg will replace it if it's messed up.

Back