• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

I leave all my shotguns stored with the bolt in the forward, locked position and have never had an issue with extractor springs weakening. With the tip of the extractor pushed out, the spring at the other end of the extractor is in the compressed position. This is no different than leaving the mag tube spring compressed when storing with a fully loaded mag tube. Springs wear out from years of stress caused by the action/motion of compression and expansion, but when left static there should be no damage done...

I leave all my shotguns stored with the bolt in the forward, locked position and have never had an issue with extractor springs weakening. With the tip of the extractor pushed out, the spring at the other end of the extractor is in the compressed position. This is no different than leaving the mag tube spring compressed when storing with a fully loaded mag tube. Springs wear out from years of stress caused by the action/motion of compression and expansion, but when left static there should be no damage done...
Thank you for the information.

Over the last couple months I picked up two brand new 500's and one brand new Maverick 88, all 12ga. On all three the elevator seems to bind, as the bolt moves forward the elevator pin on the left side of the frame gets pulled into the frame and then snaps back out when the elevator overcomes whatever it is sticking on. If I slowly close the action and stop with the bolt about an inch out of battery I can push the elevator down but it is not free to move, it clicks over something and then will not move back up against the bolt without being forced over whatever it is sticking on. I've called Mossberg and they sent out new elevators, shell stops and interruptors for both the 500's but it did not help (actually the new parts in one of the 500's made the action stick at the rear of it's travel).

On my 1980's vintage 500 & 1990's vintage 590 the elevator does not bind or stick at all, it is always free to move and the pins in the receiver do not move in & out as the action is cycled. I've cycled these new guns anywhere from 200-400 times each with no improvement (it actually seems to get worse but that might just be my being frustrated). The guns do seem to function OK, I've not noticed any failures to feed, etc., it just seems like the elevator should not be trying to pull one of the pins it pivots on out of the receiver every time the action is cycled. So, am I just unlucky to get three brand new problem guns from three different gun shops or is this how new 500's operate and I'm being overly picky?

Mossberg 500 rifled barrel seems to lock up the action of either of my 30 year old 12 gauge model 500s. Putting the barrel in is difficult and fussy, when switched back, all is good with the action(s). Any ideas as to what is wrong?

I have an old 500, and the detente ball is stuck - not in the red indicator, but in it's proper place. I can push it up and down, but I don't think it's raising up high enough to actually hold the safety button in place. Any ideas on how to get this sucker out?

Sounds like it's time for a new safety kit.

As far as getting it apart,,,take out the trigger assembly and hit the safety ball with some WD-40. Once it comes apart clean up the receiver good and install the new one.

So I'm having issues with mine not cycling the rounds. If I pump it with a lot of force it will cycle, but just racking it normal it doesn't. I've taken it apart several times tonight and can't seem to figure it out.

Ideas?

Just a FYI- I got a wood set on Ebay for a 500 flex, and got the 6.75" dual rod action bar. Everything was fine for a good while, despite the scratching of the Cerakote finish on the mag pump where the detents of the action rod scraped. Then one day the pump action bound up so bad I could barely eject a round or chamber a fresh one. I took everything off, put the Flex forend and stock back on and everything is back to normal. I really don't know what happened but I'm done messing with it.

Just a FYI- I got a wood set on Ebay for a 500 flex, and got the 6.75" dual rod action bar. Everything was fine for a good while, despite the scratching of the Cerakote finish on the mag pump where the detents of the action rod scraped. Then one day the pump action bound up so bad I could barely eject a round or chamber a fresh one. I took everything off, put the Flex forend and stock back on and everything is back to normal. I really don't know what happened but I'm done messing with it.

Maybe the wood swelled up?

Over the last couple months I picked up two brand new 500's and one brand new Maverick 88, all 12ga. On all three the elevator seems to bind, as the bolt moves forward the elevator pin on the left side of the frame gets pulled into the frame and then snaps back out when the elevator overcomes whatever it is sticking on. If I slowly close the action and stop with the bolt about an inch out of battery I can push the elevator down but it is not free to move, it clicks over something and then will not move back up against the bolt without being forced over whatever it is sticking on. I've called Mossberg and they sent out new elevators, shell stops and interruptors for both the 500's but it did not help (actually the new parts in one of the 500's made the action stick at the rear of it's travel).

On my 1980's vintage 500 & 1990's vintage 590 the elevator does not bind or stick at all, it is always free to move and the pins in the receiver do not move in & out as the action is cycled. I've cycled these new guns anywhere from 200-400 times each with no improvement (it actually seems to get worse but that might just be my being frustrated). The guns do seem to function OK, I've not noticed any failures to feed, etc., it just seems like the elevator should not be trying to pull one of the pins it pivots on out of the receiver every time the action is cycled. So, am I just unlucky to get three brand new problem guns from three different gun shops or is this how new 500's operate and I'm being overly picky?
That's how the NEW Mossbergs roll. Own 3 500s, oldest one 1985, newest 1991. No problems and smooth as silk.

For lack of a better word the "tang" of my Mossberg 500 elevator is too short for some shells, which makes it misfeed once every so often for example with Fiocchi shells. I'm attaching photos to illustrate the elevator when it feeds properly versus when it feeds improperly.

Anyway this makes the 500 annoying when shooting clay and unsuitable for HD.

Mossberg sent a replacement that reduces the misfeeds from 1 in 40 to about 1 in 100 but it's still unsuitable in my opinion.

Has anyone encountered this?

I think I can fix it with a soldering tool. Either I can solder on a small flat piece of metal to the tang or just add on layers of solder until it's long enough to hold shorter shells properly.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20160821_172810902~01.jpg
    IMG_20160821_172810902~01.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20160821_172745448~01.jpg
    IMG_20160821_172745448~01.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 14
Let me ask you after they sent you a new elevator,, did you notice any difference in the length of the tongue,,,,or the angle of it?

Let me ask you after they sent you a new elevator,, did you notice any difference in the length of the tongue,,,,or the angle of it?
The angle seemed more flat with the new one but the length seemed the same. I can measure the lengths of both later if you want. Not sure about the angle measurement, I don't think I have a protractor.

Does that change anything?

I was thinking if the angle was flatter that should make the tongue longer.

You might be on the right track wanting to lengthen the tongue. Now that you have an extra one you might want to try adding a little bit to it.

I would use something a little stronger than solder.,,,,,, maybe some JB wield ??

Keep us posted.

...anther big thing to remember is all shot shells are NOT the same length and a lot of shotguns handle them differently.;)

Good suggestion on the JB weld, I used that and three fastener nails (with one head snipped off) plus clamps and sand paper. Three days and $10 vs $60-$120 and three months at a gunsmith.

First day two side by side.

Second third clipped nail onto the other two. This one keeps the shell in place.

Third day onto the elevator.

It may be longer than necessary but no shell is getting stuck in this now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160829_210948601~01.jpg
    IMG_20160829_210948601~01.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160830_222351178~01.jpg
    IMG_20160830_222351178~01.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160830_224114577~01.jpg
    IMG_20160830_224114577~01.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160831_192819881~01.jpg
    IMG_20160831_192819881~01.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160831_192824329~01.jpg
    IMG_20160831_192824329~01.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20160831_195152095~01.jpg
    IMG_20160831_195152095~01.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160831_195315626~01.jpg
    IMG_20160831_195315626~01.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160831_195326040~01.jpg
    IMG_20160831_195326040~01.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 14
I echo what has already been said. I have a 1976 made 500, and the extractor springs have never been an issue. That thing is like a little tank.
That's because it's a 1976. I have a 1985, 1991 in 12ga and a 1987 in 20ga. Like yours, these were made before Mossberg started out sourcing internal parts to Mexico for manufacture. My LGS smith told me there was a age when a sold 500 or 870 would never come back for repair. Not so anymore, the 88 in particular. My 1985 has literally 10s of thousands of rounds through it (skeet, hunting, just slugging for fun) and nothing has ever needed replacement and there's never been a function problem. I replaced the mag tube spring just because I wanted to, not because it needed it. Tip: nail polish remover in the threads and standing the 500 up for a day really breaks the Loctite bond. It took a rubber strap wrench and a hair dryer to remove the 30 year old tube with ease in 10 minutes.

Back