• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What gun confiscation is like.

G8, that is a well-reasoned response. My projected timeline is not quite so sanguine. As long as we have presidents who feel that ruling with pens and phones [and Blackberries] is defensible, I quake at the possibilities. I expect things like taxes on each bullet, onerous insurance requirements, environmental excuses, eminent domain attacks on shooting venues, stupid "smart gun" requirements. And, yes, attempts at confiscation.

As a reminder of CA debacle of 2000 read
http://jpfo.org/common-sense/commonsense08.htm
That's the old "you don't have to register those; ooops, yes you do, but we won't take them; thanks for coming in; ooops, changed our mind, give me that gun" trick.

Although we disagree, I sure hope you are right and I am wrong.
Oh I don't doubt for a second that politicians will attempt to enact some dumb laws and/or regulations that don't even address the actual problems, and maybe even try some new bans; but I think even the most aggressive gun control advocates realize they'd have to make some concessions too... everything in our government is about compromise.

So I could see some new restrictions, but they'd probably grandfather in those firearms already manufactured or those already sold; and outright confiscation is virtually impossible, especially in states that have never had a registration requirement, which is most.

Personally, I shuffled my firearm wish list some so that the guns I thought were the most likely to appear on a "banned-but-grandfathered" list were at the top; even if that put them ahead of some I wanted more... did the same thing with hi-cap magazines, because banning those has been a tried-and-true method of neutering certain kinds of guns at the state level. Of course, the only folks abiding by magazine restrictions aren't criminals in the first place; you can be sure the criminals who intend to use those guns offensively in the commission of crimes use the full capacity mags.

I don't trust politicians any further than I can throw them.

g8tr, if you haven't seen this already, you should.

This is Senator Feinstein of California.

Most in the gun world know her as batchit crazy, but she's usually still in the forefront of any anti-2a freedom laws and make no mistake, she has a copy printed out and ready to go every single time some idiot or terrorist does something that is already illegal.

I don't trust politicians any further than I can throw them.

g8tr, if you haven't seen this already, you should.

This is Senator Feinstein of California.

Most in the gun world know her as batchit crazy, but she's usually still in the forefront of any anti-2a freedom laws and make no mistake, she has a copy printed out and ready to go every single time some idiot or terrorist does something that is already illegal.

I'm quite familiar with her; but I know there are plenty of 2A supporting members of Congress to offset the extremists like Feinstein.

Just because there are some loud gun-control advocates doesn't change the fact there are some insurmountable obstacles to them reaching their goal.

I feel we are doomed in California, Feinstein, Harris, Newsome. itnsaddwns me what has happened to my home. And now I am stuck. I feel it is time for a revolution, and I am ready.

The numbers are against the govt from taking anyone's guns en mass. Connecticut showed that. Some turned in their mags, most did not. There are not enough police, military, etc to go around to everyone's house. Once it starts, they will be met with a wall of weapons behind every blade of grass. Communities will stand up and not allow it. Local police know that there will be blow-back on them if they participate. The feds don't care about that, though. But they will be shown the true meaning behind the 2 Amendment nonetheless. Obama has done more to ensure that every household has at least one firearm than any other politician in the history of our country. He should be proud of that. 2-3 MILLION background checks and purchases PER month for the last year alone. The Japanese may have been smart by not attacking the US mainland. But I don't think our own government recognizes what they are up against. So tell Feinstein and Boxer and Pelosi and Schumer and all the other morons to stuff their proposals or come take your weapons themselves...

This is what I see when I hear them speak of gun confiscations:

us congress.jpg

in this country logistically impossible without a mass coordinated effort bringing in help from other countries , the coordination would have to be the likes mever seen in the world.

AND we 'Mericans have a long standing tradition of giving our rifles bullets first .

Yamamoto was scared in the 40's.......he would absolutely shit down his leg today ......I personally don't think they could take all the guns in South Central LA without the biggest gun fight since Gettysburg

with till her dad gets home , then there's going to be trouble

Organised teams would make quick work of random bands of unpracticed, and untrained gun weilders though.

Organised teams would make quick work of random bands of unpracticed, and untrained gun weilders though.

Seems to me, the last several guerilla wars, random seems to give those in charge the most political nightmares.

You can't predict random.

You can't stop what you can't predict.

You can't prepare for or prevent random.

Further, the sheer size of the USA, is not comparable to some small country in Asia or the middle east, which as everyone here knows, either have given countries much larger fits. And I think even ushered in the fall of USSR.

Vietnam is roughly the same size as Seattle to the southern tip of California.

Iraq is about half the size of Texas.

There are not enough US troops to patrol every square inch of an entire area as large as the US. Even with all of our armed services and resources combined.

There would almost certainly see outside troops. And I believe those would take more casualties than Americans, but I have no delusions that there would be a lot of bloodshed regardless.

But what do I know? I'm just some dumb hillbilly.

God, I hope that day never comes. I pray for peace every night. I think ultimately, that's what we all want.

But I am fearful.

Look at where we are. 15 years ago, this topic wasn't even a wild fringe thought.

I can't believe I missed this thread this long...

The writing is on the wall and really, the politicians just have to keep working on the next generation. And maybe the next generation. What's tolerated now will be embraced by our children until they no longer need to send police and military. They'll simply say, no more firearms, and that will be that. There is an effort to influence perception through Hollywood, media, and in public schools. (Which are in bed with the federal government) I hope there are enough of us left and that we are unafraid to fire the second shot heard round the world.

This is an excellent thread, thank you fellas!

Dang. Good writing. Good reading too. The style reminds me somewhat of Ray Bradbury, my favorite author, and some of his short stories.

John, thank you so much for finding those links. I first read those in 1999 when they were published in the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership printed newsletter. In fact, when I wrote on message #12 in this thread, " I admit I haven't had the foresight or opportunity to bury or hide anything yet" it was the Coffin Rock essays that I was thinking about. I don't know where those papers are any more and I was very happy that you helped me rediscover them.

www.jpfo.org

in this country logistically impossible without a mass coordinated effort bringing in help from other countries , the coordination would have to be the likes mever seen in the world.

AND we 'Mericans have a long standing tradition of giving our rifles bullets first .

Yamamoto was scared in the 40's.......he would absolutely shit down his leg today ......I personally don't think they could take all the guns in South Central LA without the biggest gun fight since Gettysburg

with till her dad gets home , then there's going to be trouble

Agreed; here's another thought. How many of their friends, family, neighbors, etc. are American soldiers going to gun down before they refuse to follow orders and shoot other Americans? Especially when most of them probably support the 2A rights of citizens in the first place.

They might deploy and follow those orders initially; but I think at some point most would struggle with their conscience... they would likely conclude that they signed up to defend the very people they're now being told to kill.

I just can't envision a scenario where the populace is successfully disarmed by force by their own federal government; I'm not even convinced some governors might not try to use their own state forces to resist federal ones if it ever came to that.

Keep buying/making ammo, my brothers and sisters... :cool: Use some of that ammo to keep your skills sharp. Mentor a new shooter... LINK

I am alarmed at the anti-gun propaganda the Hillerbeast spews forth as part of her campaigning. :eek: The world and the US as we know them will cease to exist if it gets elected. She will choose a liberal anti-gun Supreme Court Justice easily confirmed with no Republican Senate to stop it. Yes, there is a VERY good chance Republicans will lose the Senate and many House seats but you don't hear much about that (yet).

And that POS VA govna just restored "civil" rights to 100s of 1000s of felons allowing them to vote in this election under the guise of "minority voting rights restored" because a large portion of prison population current and released happen to be disproportionately minority. This is pure BS and he deserves impeachment or worse. If you weren't aware because you are out of country, the majority of "minorities" in the US tend to vote Dumpocrap... :mad: I'm not knocking minorities, I just wish they would educate themselves and vote with their brain instead of their emotions... PS: we call them "sheeple".

The sad part is that the Republicans are doing their best to help THE BEAST (666)... :( One of the candidates walks around with both feet in his mouth up to his waist and has already turned a sizable portion of "new" voters (immigrants) against him. Every day it is some different stupid statement or action. Another candidate is so "principled" about certain topics (such as PP) he has turned many women against him. Which is too bad because he is definitely a "gun" guy. If you are supposed to be "Hispanic", start pandering to them and speak the language once in a while... :rolleyes: Explain to them how voting for you is better for your family and community--in their language...

And if a Republican said it was time to decriminalize marijuana, he would experience a 10% or more rise in the polls. It is time--tax it and regulate it just like cigarettes and alcohol.

This very well may be the most important election in our lifetime and it is important you do your part to let your elected officials how you feel. Volunteer for a "good" guy or gal candidate. Protest an anti-gun candidate. Write a letter to your local paper editor, maybe they will print it? :rolleyes: Send off an angry Email when a radio or TV program airs a biased news story. And so on.

If ever there was a time we needed a strong Libertarian candidate, now is it. I wish I could vote Libertarian with my heart, but instead will have to vote the lesser of two evils with my brain... :(

Last edited:
Agreed; here's another thought. How many of their friends, family, neighbors, etc. are American soldiers going to gun down before they refuse to follow orders and shoot other Americans? Especially when most of them probably support the 2A rights of citizens in the first place.

They might deploy and follow those orders initially; but I think at some point most would struggle with their conscience... they would likely conclude that they signed up to defend the very people they're now being told to kill.

I just can't envision a scenario where the populace is successfully disarmed by force by their own federal government; I'm not even convinced some governors might not try to use their own state forces to resist federal ones if it ever came to that.

There are other ways:
Here is one of the articles from the Longmeadow MA town meeting to be voted on in May, this is in addition to full registration

ARTICLE 31. Citizen Petition
To see if the Town will vote to accept a bylaw for an assault weapon ban that reads, whoever possesses an assault weapon or a large
capacity feeding device shall pay a fine of $300 for each day such assault weapon or large capacity feeding device is possessed within
the Town. The possessor of an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device shall pay a separate fine for each assault weapon and
each large capacity feeding device.

There are other ways:
Here is one of the articles from the Longmeadow MA town meeting to be voted on in May, this is in addition to full registration

ARTICLE 31. Citizen Petition
To see if the Town will vote to accept a bylaw for an assault weapon ban that reads, whoever possesses an assault weapon or a large
capacity feeding device shall pay a fine of $300 for each day such assault weapon or large capacity feeding device is possessed within
the Town. The possessor of an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device shall pay a separate fine for each assault weapon and
each large capacity feeding device.
That's a useless, unenforceable proposal, even in the unlikely event it passed, at least in states that haven't always had registration; and it appears it's only for that specific town, not the state... how would they even know who has a firearm like that if there's never been registration?

Great thread. I had heard a lot of this in bits and pieces but it is great to see it all in one thread.

It IS happening here incrementally and much like other parts of the world, many people are uneducated about guns and believe everything the politicians, media and movies tell them about about guns.

People will sell their soul for a false sense of security. The fact that politicians will sell out because it is an election year tells you straight up that they are not in it to better the country or to represent the people, they are only in it for the power and money!

Back