• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Failure to feed...needing help

OP, there are numerous videos on You Tube on dissassembly of the 500 and 590. Same procedure for both. Here is one that is pretty good.

It may seem a bit intimidating at first, but once you have done it, it's pretty simple

Reactions: MRL
Another Update:

Ran the gun this weekend. Put about 250 shots through it -- Federal, Winchester, Rio. All fine.

Also, thanks to all who have posted tips and videos on taking apart the gun to replace the bad parts. If it was an older firearm, or purchased second-hand, I would have likely figured out how to do it myself and I am sure I will in the future. But, since it was a brand-new gun, I was happy to have Mossberg stand behind it and fix and test it themselves.

Now, if I can figure out why my Ruger 10/22 fails to eject once every 30 rounds or so....

Glad to help. As for the 10/22, you should start another thread for that. I'll bet someone will figure it out. There's only a few things it could be. Most likely a bad extractor or bad ammo.

Glad the gun is fixed.
This repair being over your head?
You should be comfortable tearing down every gun you own. What was required here is nothing more than you do for a proper cleaning.
Learn your gun inside and out is my best suggestion to all gun owners.
I agree. Though whether or not the owner is mechanically inclided has a bit to do with his/her comfort level, in my opinion if you own a weapon you MUST learn how to at least generally break it down for maintenance and cleaning...possibly even simple repair. My KSG for example:
1400d636bb1d26f937663c83537f40f1.jpg
took me a couple hours to figure it out after contulting the owners manual. i can now work on it, upgrade parts, and diagnose potential problems as a direct result of learning how to take it apart.

Same concept with any other weapons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

First time posting here. The issue I'm having is the shell not feeding from mag tube when slide racked (not short stroking). I read all the responses and tried everything but still no luck. My gun is a Maverick 88 12 gauge. This issue came up last week when I took my gun out to shoot FOR THE FIRST TIME so it was brand new and has this issue. Called Mossberg today and explained the issue and no questioned asked they are sending a new cartridge stop FOR FREE! First time dealing with Mossberg customer service and could not be happier!

First time posting here. The issue I'm having is the shell not feeding from mag tube when slide racked (not short stroking). I read all the responses and tried everything but still no luck. My gun is a Maverick 88 12 gauge. This issue came up last week when I took my gun out to shoot FOR THE FIRST TIME so it was brand new and has this issue. Called Mossberg today and explained the issue and no questioned asked they are sending a new cartridge stop FOR FREE! First time dealing with Mossberg customer service and could not be happier!

Sucks you've had problems but that's excellent to hear that OFM is taking care of you! I've been very critical of OFMs customer service but recently we've heard some good things about them. Keep us posted!

And welcome to Mossberg Owners!

Just got my new cartridge stop in from Mossberg. Installed it and still having the same issue only this time it's not feeding the 4th and/or 5th round. I'm thinking about calling Mossberg tomorrow and seeing about having to send it in for additional warranty work :(

Get in touch with our contact at Mossberg.......

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Explain the problem to him and mention you are from MO.

He has helped many members here.

Keep us posted.

Emailed Joe today at Mossberg. Within a half an hour, I received a return email from him with another tip to try and fix the issue I'm having. He said to file down the interrupter tip to round it out a little. He said to let him know after and if not he will get it taken care of! Oh he did say to pass on to everyone that he said "let the folks at mossbergowners.com I say hello"!

Emailed Joe today at Mossberg. Within a half an hour, I received a return email from him with another tip to try and fix the issue I'm having. He said to file down the interrupter tip to round it out a little. He said to let him know after and if not he will get it taken care of! Oh he did say to pass on to everyone that he said "let the folks at mossbergowners.com I say hello"!

I filed down the interrupter tip and it is now consistently cycling through the rounds with no problems!

Hey guys, just wanted to mention that I found this thread while googling a solution to my 590 failure to feed problem. After reading through and seeing the pics, I realized I have the exact same issue as the previous posters, the cartridge stop is bent and it's causing the feed failures. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out.
I emailed Mr. Zakher and he immediately got back to me, and will ship me a replacement part.
It's great to see this level of customer service from a company!!!

I was having the same problems with my 500 that Fulco1st above was having with his shotgun. The last two rounds would not chamber, but instead drop on the ground at the end of the cycle. I ordered a new cartridge stop and interrupter from Amazon, ($10 each), but decided to try to file the tip of the interrupter before installing the new parts. Works perfectly now, even with a very slow cycling. I guess I have a couple of new spare parts if I ever need them in the future.
Great forum, by the way!

Welcome.

I also like your avatar picture. I used to have a '78 firebird. 400 big block in it. Great car.

This is, (was actually), my '74 Trans Am with a 455. I sold it a few years back after owning it for over 30 years. It was numbers matching and only had 70k on it. Picked it up in the Philippines in 1980 while stationed at Clark Air Base. Kind of wish I had kept it.

Back