• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster Rimfire Troubleshooting

Got the trigger adjustment done on my 702! Pull weight is now OK with no creep or over-travel.

I was in the process of explaining how but the only negative is the safety doesn't work as well. I don't chamber till ready to fire, and lock the bolt back and clear when done so not a problem for me.

Over travel can be removed by installing a threaded stud of the right diameter in the hole in the trigger gaurd behind the trigger. Seems this hole is there just for this purpose.

Let me just say the hammer can easily be removed and reinstalled. Then ground down on the right spot to get rid of creep.

That is the most confidant report of improving the 702 trigger that I have read to date. Any further pics, tips or details would be more than appreciated! I've never had the trigger group apart based on what I've read.

I actually like the trigger on the 702 and 715T compaired to the savage 64 its better.

I have only taken my first 715T triger assembly apart and it wasnt fun to rebuild. I didnt think to try and loosen the pull while i was at it though.

I just got a 702 yesturday and only about about 50 or so rounds threw it. So far its been as reliable as my other 2 715Ts

Great gun, it feels small for some reason but its not.

My 702 I biught my kids jammed from day one. Cleaned, lubed, brushed ut to no effect. After talking to several folks I disassembled it and found the charging handle was rubbing when back causing the gun to not feed rounds right. After rubbing the charging handle on a wet stone and polishing the top of the slide around it I was ablevto run 300+ rounds through the gun with minimal Issues. We had about 10-12 fte's during the rabge time but that was nothing compared to the initial issues. The disconcerting part was most of the fte's would jam above the action requiring removal of the half to almost fully chambered next round to clear the jam. Good practice for a hang fire/ misfire.

Great that you were able to refine down to the problem - even the finest guns appear with bumps in the road - congrats - great problem solving!!

yeah with a cheap tasco it'll be a great little game getter. it was pretty accurate and consistent. it'll be my sons first gun once he gets old enough for hunters safety.

I recently received a Mossberg 702 plinkster as a gift. Great weapon and shoots true but I can't clean it. I've tried and tried to clean this thing but once I get it out of the plastic stock, I can't do anything else. The problem is the two friction pins (friction, takedown, whatever their called) on the side of the receiver. I've tried everything, pin punches, screwdrivers, oil, strongest person in my family, etc and they just won't come out. I read on MossbergOwners.com that someone else's 702 was doing the same thing and they got a pin and a hammer to get theirs out and even then it was rough. I havent tried that yet for fear of breaking something. I've put just about 300-450 rounds through this weapon and it really needs to be cleaned. Please help. I've emailed Mossberg twice so far and they havent responded.

Sergeant Major, have you tried soaking it in hot water to help extract the pins? I use punches and a deadblow hammer to persuade stubborn pins in my rifles and have yet to wreck one.

Has anyone had experience fixing a 702 with double fire issues? I have completely disassembledand cleaned the bolt assembly and trigger assembly. The firing pin moves freely... frankly I don't understand why the designers of this rifle didn't use a spring to keep the firing pin in a rearward position (like in the ruger 10/22 bolt).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nice approach to the pins - as long as you stay straight on them and properly support the receiver area you can be pretty agressive with them. I imagine that the second time out will be a bit better!

"Double fire" - as in slam fire?! I've not heard of a 702 doing this?!

"Slam fire" would be another way to describe it, but it's usually just in bursts of two, sometimes three. I am going to take it out and test fire it to see if a complete cleaning has fixed the problem (even though the firing pin moved freely).

Mossberg 702 feeding problems:

This is my first post to the forum so if I am in the wrong place I apologize. I have a question about a feed issue with a 702.

Just purchased one used and it won't seem to load the round. Acts as if the bolt won't slide back far enough. Anyone had issues with this? Once I get a round in, it fires and ejects fine, just won't load a round unless I hold the slide back and manually adjust the round.

Thanks,

Good Luck Chad.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you have found a place to stop and chat with other Mossberg owners. A concise answer to help solve your problem will be along shortly, I am sure.

My 702 has been jamming a lot lately. I've cleaned/lubed it and switched ammo, to no avail. Any suggestions?
Mine shot great out of box but my safety got stuck so I completely took apart an clean & lube & no more problems. If you take it apart they are easy to put back together but a trick to it

Mossberg 702 feeding problems:

This is my first post to the forum so if I am in the wrong place I apologize. I have a question about a feed issue with a 702.

Just purchased one used and it won't seem to load the round. Acts as if the bolt won't slide back far enough. Anyone had issues with this? Once I get a round in, it fires and ejects fine, just won't load a round unless I hold the slide back and manually adjust the round.

Thanks,
Did you buy it used? If so someone put it together wrong

Hi All,
New to this forum and to the 702 Plinkster. Got my 702 on Saturday (well, it will be my son's gun, more or less). We put 50 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets 36 gr HPs through it with no major problem. Feeding was fine, ejecting was fine, accuracy was acceptable, seems like a sweet little rifle so far.

However, one thing I did notice was that every time the mag ran empty and the bolt locked back, the follower was jammed in the full-up position, and jammed hard - I'd have to smack pretty good to get it to go back down. I don't know if the follower is sticking up too far, or if the bolt is just slamming it forward too hard and mashing it into the lips, or a combination of both. Anyone else had this problem? Is it a problem with the mag, where I can just get another mag and (probably) not have the problem, or is this likely a problem with the rifle itself (ie - the recoil spring is too heavy) where I'd need to contact Mossberg?

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

Dave, welcome to Mossberg Forum from E TN.

You wrote, "I did notice was that every time the mag ran empty and the bolt locked back, the follower was jammed in the full-up position, and jammed hard - "

Is there any chance you take a photo of magazine when it is jammed up? Upload it here so we can see it. That may help to diagnose the problem.

Also, I think you are on the right track to compare it with other mags. That is the best first step. Also you could try the "bad" mag in a known "good" 702. That isn't always possible or convenient, but it is a productive protocol.

I took pics, and am trying to get them off the phone. Eh, technology...

I took the mag apart and could see two wear marks on the rear part of the follower - one near the top that seemed to be from the bolt, and one about 3/16" down that looked like it was from the rear feed lips. My guess is that when the bolt was slamming into the rear of the follower, it was shoving it forward and up, and that was wedging it into the rear feed lips. I could sort of get the same stick-tion if I pushed down on the forward tip of the follower and let it snap out from under my finger - it would jam very similar to what it was doing when firing the rifle, but not quite as hard.

I fixed the jam/sticking problem by very lightly sanding (with 150 grit) just the upper, rear sides of the follower until the wear marks disappeared, then smoothing out the sanding marks with 400 grit. Put the mag back together and no jams. I'm guessing that lets the lower parts of the follower take the pressure when the follower is all the way up, and they don't get pinched like the upper part did.

I'll post pics when I figure out how to get them off the wife's iPhone without it taking over my laptop.

Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced magazine for my 702 Plinkster? Had it about a year now and after running about 200 or so rounds through it, the magazine is malfunctioning. Something inside the mag feels like it is catching - if I put just 2 or 3 bullets in it, it is fine, but if I load more than 3, the mag locks down and won't push the bullets up. I have to turn it upside down and dig the bullets out, then tap on the side of it a few times for it to release and pop back up. I've been looking online, and the standard 10 round magazines that I've found are running close to $30 (when shipping is added). Really? The entire gun didn't cost but round $100 new - so I can't imagine that 1/3 of the price of the entire gun is in that magazine! Jest seeing what my options are. If anyone else has had a similar problem with their magazine, let me know if there is just a fix and I will go that route and not have to buy another magazine. Thanks in advance.

Back