• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

I recently put the Elite Tactical Advantage safety on my 930 and like it a lot. Its really easy to actuate with with gloves on

My 500A Persuader came with a metal safety. I always thought they were plastic, but I stuck a magnet to it and oh yea, it's metal. Not really sure if it makes a big difference or not.

Got my Brownells safety in the mail yesterday and just got it installed. Definitely more of a positive feel. I mounted mine with the "skijump" forward and it doesn't interfere with my sight picture. You can see it but it's not really a distraction. In the side by side pic they look the same height but measuring with calipers the stock safety is .215" and the Brownells is .19" tall without the extra protrusion.

Stock safety installed
IMG_0316.PNG

Sise by side
IMG_0317.PNG

Brownells safety installed
IMG_0321.PNG

Brownells safety top view
IMG_0324.PNG

Thanks for these pics. I like the way this lever looks but have read they are prone to moving to "Safe" while shooting.
Any problems with this for you?

Thanks for these pics. I like the way this lever looks but have read they are prone to moving to "Safe" while shooting.
Any problems with this for you?
I can't speak to the Brownells version exactly but I have the ProMag that looks identical and in the 400 rounds I've had through the shotgun, the safety has been rock solid. It's a firm actuation, just like stock. It uses the stock spring and ball and responds with a firm click.

You can see it functioning in the video I made about it:

I can't speak to the Brownells version exactly but I have the ProMag that looks identical and in the 400 rounds I've had through the shotgun, the safety has been rock solid. It's a firm actuation, just like stock. It uses the stock spring and ball and responds with a firm click.

You can see it functioning in the video I made about it:

Thanks Spanky! I more question, is it aluminum or steel?

Thanks Spanky! I more question, is it aluminum or steel?
See below.

You're welcome. I haven't had any issues, it locks in rock solid. The Brownells is steel.
Are you 100% sure on that? I held a magnet to my ProMag safety and it didn't want to stick directly to the safety. It felt like it was attracting to the screw and actual safety lug underneath. It was a pretty weak attraction. I would just about swear that the ProMag is aluminum or stainless. It looks anodized so my vote would be aluminum.

See below.

Are you 100% sure on that? I held a magnet to my ProMag safety and it didn't want to stick directly to the safety. It felt like it was attracting to the screw and actual safety lug underneath. It was a pretty weak attraction. I would just about swear that the ProMag is aluminum or stainless. It looks anodized so my vote would be aluminum.

I bought the Brownell safety and can confirm it is steel. Installed it today and it is a great improvement. I do not know that the ProMag item is the same.

Thanks again Spanky!

E.T.A. Took her out Sunday and gave it good workout. Absolutely, positively worth the investment. It's smooth and positive and you won't miss the safety with your thumb!

Last edited:
See below.

Yep. From the Brownell's website: "SPECS: 4140 steel, oxide finish, matte black. Fits Mossberg 500/590/835/930/935 shotguns."

how do you remove the one way tamper proof screw?
I used this video as a guideline.

What I did was use a small chisel and I hammered a little groove. You don't need much. Then I used a screwdriver and used down force to get the safety screw out. It wasn't really damaged and I could use it again if I wanted, but a new standard flat-head screw came with the new safety.

So I have notice that it doesn't come with a new screw so where can I get a replacement screw since the one in my shotty cannot be reused. Thanks for the replies.
12gafun. You can find some replacement screws on eBay for cheap.

I did some research and sourced both black oxide and stainless allen socket cap screws. I've got them up on eBay with an allen key included for $6.99 shipped. I'd like your guys' feedback on it, including knowing if the price is fair. I looked and saw replacement screws up around $7.50-$7.99, some with allen keys, some not. Let me know what you guys think and if you'd like to buy a larger quantity, I'd be happy to negotiate here.

Black: http://www.ebay.com/itm/382015570198
Stainless: http://www.ebay.com/itm/382015570980

I put a ProMag PM262 on my 500. I believe it is aluminum. Very happy with the upgrade, took me about 10 minutes to swap out.

20170321_204844_resized.jpg 20170321_204741_resized.jpg

Back