• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buyers Remorse

GRV03

.22LR
Dont let the title fool you: we brought our 54303 20g to the range for the first time and it fired like a dream out of the box with no feed or ejection errors

*But*

Wifey hated the recoil. After two shots she handed it back and said she was done. I had problems with my cheek weld and it felt like i was getting a slap to the jaw every shot but that wouldve gone away with practice but with her, well, i know she was disappointed which means im disappointed aswell

So, I'm thinking what i shouldve purchased was the 410 Home Defense model especially after being quite suprised at the variety of load outs for 410.

That model is available in my area and for $100 cheaper than my 20g but what to do with my 20g? Im new to owning firearms so what are my options? Step one is see if the site i bought it from will accept returns or exchanges but if they dont? I put ten rounds through it so its now used would i have to take it to a shop or gunbroker or something? Jist looking for general advice here

Bonus questions: does that funky spreader choke on the 410 HD allow one to fire slugs without issue? Also, can that choke be removed or is it integral to the barrel?

Thanks all

Doubtful that a site would accept returns once fired unless there are major problems with it. My suggestion, as well as I think most here would agree, sell it and get what you want.

Doubtful that a site would accept returns once fired unless there are major problems with it. My suggestion, as well as I think most here would agree, sell it and get what you want.
Yeah i figured as much but im still trying to get in touch with the site. Mifht aswell wait for them to tell me no

Meanwhile any tips on selling? I called a LGS that gets lots of foot traffic and they do consignment selling with a 15% cut. Not sure how good that is. It doeant help that the gun is muddy girl which is easily covered up or rrmoved but will surely turn off potential buyers grom an othetwise awesome gun

If you hear "no" from the original place you bought it from, ask the local FFL if he'll accept a trade for what you want. That will give him his 15% and probably then some, but it'll be his problem to sell.

True the muddy girl will probably be a long sale unless just the right person comes through the door. I didn't even know Mossberg was doing that. Probably not in very high numbers either if I were guessing.

Another thought,,,,,put a LimbSaver on the gun and let her try it.(and don't start her off on slugs). Also teach her the proper stance for shooting a shotgun.

Who knows maybe once she doesn't feel the recoil as much, she might like it?????;)

Cheek weld and controlling recoil are dealt with easily enough if you're interested in trying again. But I understand if not.

The .410 home security should be a cylinder bore gun and shouldn't have any trouble with .410 slugs.

As far as selling goes, if you know someone interested, that's probably the easiest way to go. Consignment works too but like you said the muddy girl could be an issue.

Does this gun have a hollow plastic stock?

If so, you can reduce the recoil significantly by packing that stock with sand and lead. This has the added benefit of moving the center of gravity back towards your shoulder instead of out there in the middle of the action somewhere.

I did this to another brand of gun to increase accuracy, reduce recoil and improve balance, and it did all three for me.

I had to experiment with the ratio of sand to lead, to make it feel right without making it too heavy.

I think I ended up adding about three ounces of lead and the rest was just ordinary aquarium sand.

Instead of just pouring it into the hollow stock I lined it with a plastic bag first to contain any dust etcetera.

Also:
A Limbsaver is worth it on any shotgun that doesn't have one.
VZM.IMG_20160402_185853.jpg
My 16 gauge had this thick Winchester pad on it, but perceived recoil with the new Limbsaver is much less.
Well worth the $34 I paid and the labor to shape it and install it.

20170122_122421.jpg

The .410 home security should be a cylinder bore gun and shouldn't have any trouble with .410 slugs.
I know theres a 500 tactical in pistol grip with a cylinder bore but we were looking at the 50359 the nerdy looking one with the spreader choke and pistol foregrip

RE Limbsaver: im def interested but i can tell her enthusiasm is shot if you'll excuse the pun for the 20g and frankly im impressed with the load iptions 410 has from 00 or 000 buck to slugs

I love the idea of a trade with my LGS though. Sgould be a win win for them considering the 410 is atleast $100 cheaper

I would think the spreader choke is ok for slugs. It's more open than the actual bore dimensions.

I personally wouldn't like a spreader choke if it's fixed. In my opinion it severely limits the guns usefulness. If it can be removed and another choke used, I would dig it. If it's only intended purpose for you and yours is that it be a home defense firearm then I suspect you'd be just fine.

Great find. His suggestion on slings is appreciated even if i dont get rhe allure of single point slings

The tables linked were interesting too. That spreader certainly does a good job for better or worse. Dunno, that extra inch or two could mean rhe difference between a punctured lung and a severed aorta

Thanks for that

Maybe there is a local gun "buy, sell, trade" website or facebook page if allowed in your state. With 10 rounds out of it, I would call it "like new". Did you keep the box it came in? That is a selling point.

15% to consign it seems fair. I think the Muddy Girl camo might even appeal to some buyers, especially someone buying it for their daughter. Does it have a bantam stock?

Limbsaver makes slip-on butt pad cushions that might help although they will increase LOP.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I would give the limbsaver a try before you do anything.
I say that from experience......

My wife was the same way with my 12g home defense 590 and just after 1 shot she handed it right back to me and said no I don't like it it hurts.

So I did like you in search for an answer and found this forum and limbsaver was recommended.
Found one at cabellas or might of been bass pro but as soon as I got it installed, I took my wife back out to the rangr to fire it and she was like no. Even though I promised it would be 100 times better, she hesitantly & reluctantly tried it and guess what....
I didn't get to fire a round the rest of that day, but that was worth it because she liked it and was comfortable with it because it did not hurt her any more after shooting it.

Now i wouldn't go this far if i were you, but just to further prove a point to her, I put in some 3" magnum rounds which kick the hell out of you when fired; she was able to handle that one too.
But in the end it was a keeper because she wasn't scared of the kick anymore and conformable Shooting the 12g.

Ohhhh.....
Also another recommendation would be some low recoil rounds. Those combined with the limbsaver will give her the comfort shooting the gun.

Last edited:
Another thought,,,,,put a LimbSaver on the gun and let her try it.(and don't start her off on slugs). Also teach her the proper stance for shooting a shotgun.

Who knows maybe once she doesn't feel the recoil as much, she might like it?????;)

You just cost me $32.xx at Amazon. I just ordered one for my Mossberg 500 12 gauge after I read the reviews. It will be here Wednesday and I will see if it really does decrease the recoil by 70%.

Yes it's worth every penny.....
I can now shoot 3" magnum rounds all day and my arm won't feel like it's about to fall off the next day.

It's a HUGE difference worthy of the investment. You will wish you had it sooner if you shoot all the time.

I'm sure you will like it.

I cut both my original wooden and synthetic 14" LOP stocks down to 12" and then added LimbSaver slipons. Love them both and nothing to speak off with recoil.;)

I personally wouldn't go less than a 20ga for home defense but that is my opinion. If I was in your shoes I would seriously look into a Magpul buttstock. I placed one on my 12ga Remington clone and it made the shotgun so much more enjoyable to shoot. Recoil didn't feel bad at all, adjustable check raisers are available.

Get her started on light load ammo. As light as possible. You can buy 7/8oz target ammo all over. 1150-1200fps. If you reload, if you ever plan to reload, you can cut shot loads in half if need be. Instead of 18 pellets of #2 buck, go 9 pellets instead. Work on proper form above all else. If the gun is too big, go smaller. Short the barrel. Short the stock. You can find youth stocks and short barrels on Ebay etc. If all else fails, convert it to a 510 until she grows into it. Experience-wise, not age. If ALL else fails, use a cheater cord. Hang the gun from a loop of paracord to support partial weight and then work on form, form, form.

I feel your pain. Had exactly the same experience with my wife. She did not like the recoil of the 12, so I bought the 20. I even put a recoil reducing (spring loaded) stock on the 20 gauge, to no avail.

Funny thing is, we got wind of a genuine threat in our area. At that point, she tried the 12 gauge (!) again, and suddenly she did not find the recoil so unmanageable. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Back