• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

R-Handed Shotguns vs L-Handed Shooters

SouthernGuy

Copper BB
I shoot long guns left handed and was wondering what the pros and cons are to shooting a right handed Mossberg 500?

There seems to be more L-handed versions available in the youth sizes than adult.

You responses will be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

One CON: Ejected hulls in the face...

I'm a lefty as well and I haven't had any issues shooting a right handed gun. The safety on the mossberg is the main reason I went with the brand vs. Remington. I do have a LH mossberg and for some reason it's harder to reassemble after stripping down to clean it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a left handed shooter as well. At first, I was concerned about the ejector-on right side- being so close to my face but, it's not an issue once you get used to it. Safety goggles right?! I have slowly been forcing myself the shoot on the right side...bad and it feels weird but, it never hurts to become ambi.

I'm also a "southpaw" and been adapting to everything right handed for 70 years now. RH guns work for me.;)

... I have slowly been forcing myself the shoot on the right side...bad and it feels weird but, it never hurts to become ambi.

I trained myself to shoot lefty. I'm not as fast a shot of course but my goal was to help me teach.

Back about 1988 I went to a golf driving range and met a young golf instructor who was switching to left. He said that switching helped him feel like a new golfer again and he had to relearn stance, address, swing and follow thru from the standpoint of a novice.

About 1999 I did the same thing with handguns. All the pieces that need to be assembled before launching a well-timed and well aimed shot took some some long sessions of slow motion practice. Also I got some perspective about cross dominant shooting and I discovered my own solution to that problem.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

One CON: Ejected hulls in the face...
Not a problem with any of my shotguns (all right handed).

Only problem I have is being right eye dominant. Kinda tough when shooting a shotgun.

Left handed shooter here as well, left eye dominant. Chose the Mossy because of the location of the safety. And decided on a right-handed shotgun because it lets me use my off (right) hand to load one in the ejection port if needed, without having to adjust my grip with my trigger (left) hand.

I was always right handed and right eye dominant but my right eye is getting weak. So now if I shoot my pistols with iron sights I have to use the right hand & left eye. Shooting with a rifle scope I still use the right eye.

For a shotgun, I just keep both eyes open and pray.

I've always heard folks say that when you are a lefty using a right handed shotty you will get hulls in the face. I'm left handed and own/use a right handed JM Pro.....no hulls in the face yet....they all kick out almost perpendicular to the shotgun....so I'm wondering if it is dependent on the model shotgun....or the type of ammo

Sent from my DIGICEL DL1000 using Tapatalk

In my case, it was more the distraction from ejection across the face and sometiimes into, depending on what I was shooting. I sold my National Match M1 abd bought a left-hand .308 (Ruger Gunsite Scout). I bought a left-hand shotgun.

Now I don't have to see the brass whizzing by. I still shoot with a pistol in my right hand using my left eye.

Tom

Back