• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Same with my 1988 500A, ya can't kill it.

Sorry Mexico ya can't make it right.:(

I've let a couple other shotguns go to new homes that cost more than my 1994 500c because they couldn't compete with her in reliability. Plus, except for a small scratch on the wood stock, it looks as good as the day it was born. I love my little Mossy.

I got a Mossberg 500 for Christmas, took it out to go skeet shooting. After 60 rounds it stopped feeding. Looked on this site found out about the cartridge stop issue. I got contact info for Joseph at Maverick arms he sent me a new cartridge stop and action slide.

My question is after I replace this parts will this problem happen again or will it be good for now on.

Welcome. Sorry to hear you were having a problem with your new Mossy. Glad to hear they took care of it.

You should be good to go as far as the cartridge stop. Once it's replaced you'll be ok.

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I understand if it was caused by a bad lot on those parts just want to make sure there is not a larger problem that continues to cause the problems

i have a Mossberg 500AG 12GA receiver that I purchased a while back and I finally got all the parts to complete it but the trigger assembly will not go in all the way. the connector hits the receiver and can not be installed "even when the receiver is striped". I took my 590 trigger assembly and tried to install it but I'm having the same problems but the trigger assembly will fit my 590 no problem. by being a older receiver did Mossberg change anything? I thought that all parts were interchangeable.

All I can tell you is I've witnessed the same thing where triggers will swap one way but not the other; e.g. A 500 trigger to a 590 but not a 590 to a 500.

In your case I couldn't say what the fix would be.

Take a look here.......
http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/trigger-assembly-review.10403/

Edit: You also may want to take off the stock.(Not hitting the stock bolt).
Make sure the safety in on and the connector is not hitting the safety block.

Keep us posted.

I haven't put the stock on it yet and the receiver was completely stripped no nothing in except for the safety and I moved it to safe/fire as well.
so from the link that you posted is that the locking lugs are different on the newer trigger assembly "bigger" and that's why I can not install it into the 500AG receiver and that's is why the connector hits the receiver and will not go in all the way. so can I file the locking lugs down or dremel it down to fit?

Is the safety block thingy in the right direction? Not backward? If that trigger group fits into your other gun fine, that's the only possibility. The only other possibility would be that one of the group pins was slightly out and that was blocking it....but you said the group fits the other gun fine. And the 590 trigger group won't fit either. Only one possibility. Safety block thingy.

I haven't put the stock on it yet and the receiver was completely stripped no nothing in except for the safety and I moved it to safe/fire as well.
so from the link that you posted is that the locking lugs are different on the newer trigger assembly "bigger" and that's why I can not install it into the 500AG receiver and that's is why the connector hits the receiver and will not go in all the way. so can I file the locking lugs down or dremel it down to fit?

I would NOT do any sanding on the locking lugs.

Just to see what happens take out the safety completely. ????

Both trigger assemblies fit your 590 with no problem,correct?

At this point I would look at the receiver opening. ?????

Both trigger assemblies fit your 590 with no problem,correct?

At this point I would look at the receiver opening. ?????
that is correct both trigger assemblies fit my 590.
yeah that looks like where the problem is and if I can file some on the trigger assembly to make it fit or file some on the receiver to make it fit.

I would measure the receiver opening on both receivers and file some off the receiver, going nice and slow and trying the trigger assembly as you go.

The "connector" you've mentioned. The safety connector? Post a pic or two before you do anything. Something isn't adding up and "adjusting" is hard to undo.

Last edited:
For lack of a better word the "tang" of my Mossberg 500 elevator is too short for some shells, which makes it misfeed once every so often for example with Fiocchi shells. I'm attaching photos to illustrate the elevator when it feeds properly versus when it feeds improperly.

Sorry, bud, but I'm calling BS on this one. I know it's an older post but it needs a response. That shell position you show is ONLY possible with the shell lifter out of the gun. A shell can't possibly lodge in that place when the gun is properly assembled. It would have to be an inch INSIDE the trigger group for the hull lip to catch that way. Anyone with a Mossy can try that one and prove it in two seconds. The ONLY way your "problem" can happen is if you're trying to use shorty/micro shells....and in that case, the problem has nothing to do with the Mossberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, bud, but I'm calling BS on this one. I know it's an older post but it needs a response. That shell position you show is ONLY possible with the shell lifter out of the gun. A shell can't possibly lodge in that place when the gun is properly assembled. It would have to be an inch INSIDE the trigger group for the hull lip to catch that way. Anyone with a Mossy can try that one and prove it in two seconds. The ONLY way your "problem" can happen is if you're trying to use shorty/micro shells....and in that case, the problem has nothing to do with the Mossberg.

Trying my 500, the unfired cartridge would have to be shorter than 1.75 inches long for it to drop through the shell lifter like that.

For lack of a better word the "tang" of my Mossberg 500 elevator is too short for some shells, which makes it misfeed once every so often for example with Fiocchi shells. I'm attaching photos to illustrate the elevator when it feeds properly versus when it feeds improperly.
Has anyone encountered this?

^^^^^

Actually, yes...I've had this happen several times in my shotgun and also my Daughters. I also have a shooting buddy that said it has happened to him on occasion as well.

First, let me say...it doesn't happen often, BUT this shotgun (and my Daughter's) are both purposed for Home Defense. So the fact that it 'CAN' happen is a bit disconcerting. I have discovered the issue is only possible with shotshells that have a loaded length of 2-5/16" or less. Naturally, shotshells from different manufactures are slightly different lengths and even shells from the same box can/will vary in length simply due to the manufacturing process.

Normally the shell (short) will enter the receiver and bounce around such that it stays relatively parallel to the shell elevator, but once in awhile one will come in at an angle (base of shell high, crimp end low) and this is when it 'can' hang up on the tab of the shell elevator, or worse...even fall through. Though I've only had one actually fall through...it creates a jam not easily remedied.

An internet search turned up other's that have experienced the same thing. Again...not frequently...but it does happen. IF the tab on the elevator were a mere 1/4" longer it would completely eliminate the possibility that any commercially loaded 2-3/4" shell (loaded length is shorter) could produce this type of jam.

I will be modifying the lift elevator on both shotguns to insure it can not happen again. 3" shells are not a problem and 'most' 2-3/4" shells I use are long enough (loaded length) to not cause a problem either.

Mossbergs...reply to my inquiry about this was "rack the slide hard". Well, yes....I've shooting pump shotguns for over 50 years and understand the importance of not short stroking and the need to cycle the slide briskly. This 'can' still happen.

Now I fully expect folks to tell me that they have shot thousands of rounds through their Mossy and never experienced this. I have no doubt that is true. As I said before...it doesn't happen often but it is 'possible' and that which is 'possible' will certainly happen at the worst time if 'Murphy' has anything to say about it.

Anyway...I am in no way ragging on the shotgun, just want folks to be aware that shotshells (some very popular ones) shorter than 2-5/16" (loaded length) could produce a stoppage in that weapon if it bounces around just right. Mossy lift1.jpg Mossy lift2.jpg Mossy lift4.jpg MossyFlex3.jpg
Moss500_4.jpg

Trying my 500, the unfired cartridge would have to be shorter than 1.75 inches long for it to drop through the shell lifter like that.

^^^^
I would challenge this. I have it happen with a shotshell that measured (loaded length) 2-1/4" . Most of my Hornady Critical Defense shells measure between 2-1/4" and 2-3/8".

Any shot shell that can clear the lift elevator 'tab' when a shell is at an angle in the receiver can most certainly fall through the skeletonized elevator. I've actually had that happen while shooting and just duplicated it (by hand) in my Mossy.

I readily concede that it doesn't happen often and should never occur. When the shotgun is held horizontally (parallel to the ground) and the slide is racked hard (as it should be) the chances of a short shell (under 2-5/16" loaded length) hanging up the shell elevator tab or falling through is exceedingly small. But in a defensive situation...a person might have to rack a slide with the weapon in a vertical/near vertical or other disadvantaged position which creates the greatest chance the shell will bounce into the receiver at the severe angle necessary for it the jam on the elevator. But it can and does happen.

Back