• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone make a kydex mount/holster for the Shockwave?

emt1581

.22LR
This is my first thread here. Seems to be a pretty cool forum given my current interest in the Shockwave. Glad someone over on ARF mentioned it.

A couple days ago I finally pulled the trigger on a Shockwave from Brownells. With the $30 off coopin it came to $339 shipped...and after my dealer's $25 it'll be right around $365 OTD....a good deal that I'm happy with. Already ordered the Opsol mini-clip, a roll-crimper bit from "the Russian Federation"....and I plan to load up some nasty little mini-shells. I'll do some testing but I love mixing 00 Buck and sprinkling in bird shot....but in bigger shells I've done slug, 00 Buck, birdshot rounds. In the words of the great Paul Kersey...."it makes a real mess."

A few months back I became interested in kydex when I figured out how super cheap it was to actually do with very basic materials that I already had for the most part.

When it comes to the Shockwave it seems like it has a LOT of potential to be an excellent gun for vehicles, under shop counters, next to the night stand, etc...and an effective kydex mount or holster would help it excel in those roles for storage and travel.

Has anyone attempted it and been successful? Please share pics if so!!

Thanks!! :)

I have some kydex and a heat gun.

I've made a few pistol and magazine holsters in the distant past, but don't really know how I could make one for a shockwave.

Unless it was a 2 piece design so you could mount it horizontally or vertically and slide the stock out of the kydex and the other side just essentially be a hook for the barrel to keep it in place until ready.

Kind of like this, but with more kydex:

cdc7758e4c1cbfe434cfefc12424c398--gun-decor-gun-rooms.jpg

One easy mount would be around the receiver/trigger guard as a mount. There's a youtube vid of a guy with a full sized AR that has a receiver/trigger guard mount attached to his waist. Not really my intention here, but shows it can be done and unlike blocking off all the empty space behind the pump for a holster....the mount wouldn't be that hard to do.

Do you have a link to the video?

That would be pretty funny to see.

The holster was nicer than I expected.

Though I think the same thing could be achieved by a single point sling.

The holster was nicer than I expected.

Though I think the same thing could be achieved by a single point sling.

The single point sling would have a lot more play and constant ball-tapping potential. But the holster/mount stays put on the hip.

Again, I'm looking at it from a vehicle/wall/etc. storage perspective.

@Itsricmo does kydex work....
I'll message him too....

I indeed do, do kydex work. Not tons and bunchies lately, but fairly consistent work. lol That Shell Caddy has been shelved until work slows down, Im home enough to sleep and that's it BUT This sounds fun.....

When it comes to the Shockwave it seems like it has a LOT of potential to be an excellent gun for vehicles, under shop counters, next to the night stand, etc...and an effective kydex mount or holster would help it excel in those roles for storage and travel.

Okay.. here is the approach about 99% of Kydex guys take when considering a new potential product.

Is it Probable? Is it actually going to be a useful accessory to have that can be marketed as a "MUST HAVE" item to pair with the firearm...
- It's up in the air here, because really, you're not going to OC this thing, unless you're a OC-Texas Turd. It's going to be a range toy or weird niche field carry thing that leaves very little market for... Which brings me to the next consideration..

Who is going to buy it and how will it be used, represent me and my company, is it safe?
- There is A LOT of "NEWP!!!" here... I personally, Don't wanna see my gear on CNN because some turds OC'd into a Police Station with my Drop Leg for their Shockwave and got ker-blammied across the wall. So right here, I can guarantee you that 99% of guys just stopped considering everything. BUT what about vehicle mounts? That market is already awash with 100s of options and competitor companies. None of them are "shockwave specific" but what gain does a product have when it is proprietary when facing a market share of universal mounts? So pretty much this sums up why you see nothing lol

Okay.. here is the approach about 99% of Kydex guys take when considering a new potential product.

Is it Probable? Is it actually going to be a useful accessory to have that can be marketed as a "MUST HAVE" item to pair with the firearm...
- It's up in the air here, because really, you're not going to OC this thing, unless you're a OC-Texas Turd. It's going to be a range toy or weird niche field carry thing that leaves very little market for... Which brings me to the next consideration..

Who is going to buy it and how will it be used, represent me and my company, is it safe?
- There is A LOT of "NEWP!!!" here... I personally, Don't wanna see my gear on CNN because some turds OC'd into a Police Station with my Drop Leg for their Shockwave and got ker-blammied across the wall. So right here, I can guarantee you that 99% of guys just stopped considering everything. BUT what about vehicle mounts? That market is already awash with 100s of options and competitor companies. None of them are "shockwave specific" but what gain does a product have when it is proprietary when facing a market share of universal mounts? So pretty much this sums up why you see nothing lol

I think we need to separate those who mess around with kydex as a hobby and those that look to sell it. For sellers, I can see your points. For the hobby, I don't. My question was not aimed at sellers. More the hobbyist that messes around with it just to see what they can whip up.

Where you consider probable, I look at possible and functional. I could care less if anyone is going to buy my design. It's all about whether I can create something that works well for me. As for open carrying it, at the range, I have open carried my 9" AOW 590 in a custom made thigh rig that also carries 16 shells on it. Would I wear that to Wal-Mart? No. But it's something I find a purpose for and that's good enough for me. But far be it for me to piss on someone else that wants to.

If we alter the perspective to what is possible.... I'd like to see if I can make one mount and one holster. The mount would be grabbing the gun around receiver/trigger guard and then have some sort of attachment device to connect it to something else be it a belt, molle, nylon webbing, etc. The second, and here's where I would probably hop over to the kydex forum for experience with weight distribution....would be a holster for the muzzle down position. With the 6lb weight that would need balancing/support but I've always wanted something I could slip into a cargo pocket of a seat back and aside from a G20 the other two weapons that have interested me for this role would be an AR pistol and/or the Shockwave.

..More the hobbyist that messes around with it just to see what they can whip up..
Oh, well hell, for that aspect yeah it's absolutely do-able. It's going to be very time consuming for the most part, however there could be the debate over Function vs Beautiful. lol You can make something very basic that works but looks ugly as sin or spend some real serious time and create a master piece

I've already got Kydex, and an industrial sewing machine is next on my list. But I'm at least a month out on that.
You and me both brother. I would LOVE a good singer but I don't have the capital right now. Im working on a Shopeoko 3 Carbide XXL next before the sewing machine.

Oh, well hell, for that aspect yeah it's absolutely do-able. It's going to be very time consuming for the most part, however there could be the debate over Function vs Beautiful. lol You can make something very basic that works but looks ugly as sin or spend some real serious time and create a master piece

You and me both brother. I would LOVE a good singer but I don't have the capital right now. Im working on a Shopeoko 3 Carbide XXL next before the sewing machine.

I have a singer 99. Still in the case. Just needs the knee lever. Works perfect.

What's the significance of the sewing machine? I've got an antique Singer in a wooden cabinet with a thigh lever and foot pedal....do you sew instead of rivet the seams of the kydex or what? I'd think it would bend/break the needle.

As for it not being pretty...I only care about function. So long as it works well that's all I care about.

I've got the money for the sewing machine, just no place to set it up, until we're in our new house. I look at that CNC machine - nice! If it handled steel, I would be all over it.

What's the significance of the sewing machine? I've got an antique Singer in a wooden cabinet with a thigh lever and foot pedal....do you sew instead of rivet the seams of the kydex or what? I'd think it would bend/break the needle.

As for it not being pretty...I only care about function. So long as it works well that's all I care about.

I would like to make some custom bags for my firearms and photo gear. And maybe get my wife started on a home-based business. We would be able to make stuff for CZ pistols, as I'll eventually have one of every model. For the Shockwave, I can see a drop-leg which would require custom-stitched webbing. My current rough design would have the barrel go in first, then the receiver would snap in place. So you would point the barrel towards your knee at an angle, then bring the grip in close to your hip. It's actually doable, as long as you're standing. Might work for hiking. Puts the grip a bit high, but this exercise is not about practicality.

If it handled steel, I would be all over it.

75% of Kydex Forms are made from HDPE and the balance almost always aluminum. So the new Carbide 3 Shopeoko can handle both of those with ease. That's why I am looking at that specific model. It's always proven among a few other buddy holster makers to be accurate and rigid enough to produce reliable forms. If I was looking or steel, I would be getting an entirely different machine, more of a VMC than a router.

What's the significance of the sewing machine? .
Options.. Nylon Gear, Denim Gear, Cordura Gear. lol I know guys who have punched small holes in their dex and stitched it but its a look not a function.

I have a singer 99. Still in the case. Just needs the knee lever. Works perfect.
Not entirely sure of the exact model. The big ticket ones have all metal gears and such. Belt driven, off board motor.

I'm interested in making firearms parts, so the ability to CNC steel would be beneficial. I already have the forms for Kydex holsters. ;)

Back