• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring artisan well ?? Help

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ok i know its mossy forum but ive found much knowledge here. I know a bit about things but i have something on my plate now I know nothing about. I dont even know a word for it ? Cultivating harvesting collecting etc.... Basically we have a new property and while out walking i came across water bubbling out of ground YEAH thats cool daddy likes that its ice cold so i figure it come from pretty deep. My question is simply should i dig some open up area maybe rock it in or ???? Something to make it more accessible usable in a pinch ?? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Heres a couple poor pics. Well dang photos to large gimme a minute be right back

Me, I would have the water tested to make sure it's safe since you're new to the property. Nobody really knows what may be buried on or near the property before you bought it.

While I suggested making a small pond with it (even 10x12 wide and 2' deep) would work pretty well, I would watch it over the next year to see if it continues to run consistently before sinking the money into building the little pond.

I would try to dig the pond many feet away from where the spring bubbles up so you don't really disturb the ground in that area, and then use a mattock and make enough of a low spot to direct the spring runoff into the pond to fill it.

By leaving the ground pretty much undisturbed where it bubbles up out of the ground, leaves you a safer area to drink from if you make a pond. If you just dig around the spout and the water fills up the little pond, and a raccoon comes along and takes a whizz and it runs into the pond, we know you're not going to want to drink that and that's why I suggested that you may want to kind of leave the water coming out of the ground somewhat separate from the pool of water.

The pool of water will eventually attract animals. Birds, deer, varmints, etc. Especially in drier times. That will give you a nice spot to put up a blind or shoot house. One stop shopping for food and drink.:)

I can only suppose that a rock layer isn't to far below the surface, which is directing the water up and out. If you could possibly sink a 2-3inch pvc pipe into it, several feet down, you could possibly cap it, and put a valve on your standpipe.

Me, I would have the water tested to make sure it's safe since you're new to the property. Nobody really knows what may be buried on or near the property before you bought it.
@Djcala I really like this suggestion from John.

Let me give you some suggestions from my experience.

In the early '70s [last century!] I was an Engineering Tech for the Sarasota [FL] County Health Department. Our office was responsible for water treatment, delivery, testing, wastewater collection and treatment.

We often did testing of water for residents, restaurants, lodging, agriculture, etc. on request. We preferred to do our own collection because a sample brought into the office in an old mayonnaise jar might not be reliable. We were happy to go to the site and make sure the collection vessel and faucet were sterilized. In the case of running water like streams, sewers, or springs we could do continuous sampling to test for the changing quality over time.

So give your health department a call and describe your situation. They may do anything between Bring Me a Mayo Jar to Dropping a Probe. Most likely they'll start w/ a single sample sent to the lab.

There could be checks for E coli, metals, dissolved oxygen, VOC, industrial waste, etc. Probably free, maybe low charge if it gets complicated.

Another thing... in Sarasota we had access to detailed aquifer maps of the whole state. Our well fields tapped an underground river that ran for a hundred miles. That helped us trace contaminants. Your land sounds like a great place for a field trip. I loved doing assignments like that.

Our office was very encouraging of residents interested in their water quality. We never made them feel like it was a burden on the department. Give that a try.

Back