• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Have you seen the price of live traps lately?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was thinking about putting out a couple of traps to try to get rid of some of those big coyotes before they eat everything up there. I've tried to nail a few, but they've gotten wise to me and I can't stay up there 24/7.

But a trap can.

bLiZjf7.jpg

Those large traps are outrageous :eek:

They're $150 and up for the 2 foot tall/wide traps..

http://www.trucatchtraps.com/large-animal-traps

Been looking at some videos and I found a home made style that I liked. It'll just take some of my "scrap lumber" pile and some garden wire. The wire was about $26 at tractor supply. And I'll have enough wire to do probably 3 traps by the time it's said and done. I can live with that.

Here's some pictures before I get it finished. All I have to do is put a guillotine door on the front and nail the wire on and get it put out tomorrow.

trap 001.JPG

trap 002.JPG

Here's the door trip that'll hold the door open until something tries to snatch the bait.
trap 003.JPG

I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow after I finish it and maybe even a few up on the mountain after I set it out. I have a place in mind that will probably be a dandy spot for a big trap.

Oli, I wouldn't mind setting landmines or pungi sticks or anything else up there, but it's mostly for liability reasons. They won't be live traps for long. Nothing a good 22lr won't take care of.

After some testing, the trip was too hard to move, so I went a different route. I used a long barn door hinge.

This is the best picture I could get of the trip and the paracord that leads to the bait, which is just a square piece of wood and some bailing wire will be wrapped around the chicken leg/bone so it'll have to pull on it.

trap 006.JPG

Yeah, I just want rid of them. Don't care how I do it, I just want them gone.

If you look at the photos, check the date/times. There's at least 3 or 4 different ones roaming around up there.

1kXwRyf.jpg

DpIkqGk.jpg

Kj41ft3.jpg

selcQMo.jpg

They like thanksgiving dinner the best apparently. I'm only getting pictures of a single hen for a while now.

lg02lIc.jpg

A couple years ago, I had pictures of nearly a dozen in the same frame.

GXZjROU.jpg

I was thinking about putting out a couple of traps to try to get rid of some of those big coyotes before they eat everything up there. I've tried to nail a few, but they've gotten wise to me and I can't stay up there 24/7.

But a trap can.

bLiZjf7.jpg

Those large traps are outrageous :eek:

They're $150 and up for the 2 foot tall/wide traps..

http://www.trucatchtraps.com/large-animal-traps

Been looking at some videos and I found a home made style that I liked. It'll just take some of my "scrap lumber" pile and some garden wire. The wire was about $26 at tractor supply. And I'll have enough wire to do probably 3 traps by the time it's said and done. I can live with that.

Here's some pictures before I get it finished. All I have to do is put a guillotine door on the front and nail the wire on and get it put out tomorrow.

View attachment 18425

View attachment 18426

Here's the door trip that'll hold the door open until something tries to snatch the bait.
View attachment 18427

I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow after I finish it and maybe even a few up on the mountain after I set it out. I have a place in mind that will probably be a dandy spot for a big trap.

What a waste. That 2x4 in the last photo would make a super picture frame!

I'd rather get rid of the things that are eating my food.

Damn John. It wasn't long ago I was seeing large, and medium, sized livetraps being sold as a pair for about 80 bucks I think. At the local farm store. They may have been on clearance though.

Yeah, that was what I thought too.

Checked the price a few weeks back and they were about double what I remembered for the large traps.

@John A. Just saw this thread. We have used snares for yotes with good effect. I actually make my own relatively cheap. Im busy today but will send ya some pics and links. They are easy to make and transport and move etc... Have used in Alabama and Georgia i bet theyd work up in your area too. Scent control scent control scent control study up lots online info and supplies

Hopefully not OT, but what do you think these are worth? Came with a bunch of stuff in a "gun" lot I got at auction. I'd say the loop is about 4" dia.

traps.jpg

Maybe 5 bucs a pop, they are 10bucs for new ones down south anyway.
Maybe give Dukes website a look to get hi retail idea.

Thanks, DJ! But for that little money, I think I'll just set them and hang them on the wall with a sign that says "Don't Touch!" :eek: :D

Back