• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ar pistol 5.56 report

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Shot first 100 thru new pistol today. Its a simple build as parts went on sale over 10 months gun. 10.5 inch 1\7 5.56. Initial plan was simple fsb n carry handle iron sights. But my lone eye is tired today so i mounted a old 4x scope for a lil help. Smart move as i simply could not see target properly beyond 50 yds. I did the testing prone off my mat and backpack in the yard just wasnt interested in much more today. I shot and cleaned for about 25 rounds at 25 yards. Functions fine maybe a tad "slappy" perfect ejected pile at about 1:30. May experiment with buffer wts/spring later maybe not.
Set irons and optic for 1" low at 25yds and moved to 50 75 and 100. Results were as expected no funtion issues save one fail to load on a mag change using bolt release ?? Not sure maybe didnt slap her in good did not happen 2x so prolly oprator error. Im leaving the old blue stripe replica on its a postive force mutiplier by a bunch and irons still usable with it in place. Was not original plan but dumb not to have it at distance for ID and accuracy. Ohh i was shooting some older m193 no problem then tried a few semi jacket soft pointz. The 193 would not be best choice in a 10.5 id guess due to lower velocity but i have a wee bit on hand so im using it for testing purposes. So far ill call it a "sub 2 moa" pistol. The first target with the 9mm shell for size ref was the first 3 rounds ever fired used irons. The last target was 5 rounds prone on pack at 100yds shell for size appx 1.75inch i suppose so well say sub 2 for now. Ya wont win the President s 100 but its minObad guy all day. 20181031_101828.jpg 20181031_153408-1.jpg 20181031_100902.jpg 15410286546035612169905864804873.jpg 15410286546035612169905864804873.jpg 15410286546035612169905864804873.jpg15410286546035612169905864804873.jpg More work and ammo variety to be checked. Im using a 50yd zero looks best for the 10.5 on paper mpbr of about 220yds depending??? But this i will say is gonna prolly be used at maybe half that max most times and mostly 0 to 50. Why the 556 after doin the 300blk ? Simple the 300 is a hunting machine hate paying for the ammo fun time. The 556 is a pure shallow hal build i wanted that look it appeals to me and the cheap ammo for fun time. 20181031_101828.jpg 20181031_153408-1.jpg 20181031_100902.jpgsorry no clue what i did with pictures ?? Maybe yall can fix proper

Last edited:
Clean and simple.

It's pretty accurate with non-match ammunition.

Colt Replica scope, right? It's amazing that you could get it to shoot 1" low at 25-yards. It was probably near the end of its turret travel!

Clean and simple.

It's pretty accurate with non-match ammunition.

Colt Replica scope, right? It's amazing that you could get it to shoot 1" low at 25-yards. It was probably near the end of its turret travel!
Yes basic colt replica, id used it before on a 20" i was pretty suprised it was near on already only dropped 12 clicks down, windage was fine. I actually bumped it back up couple clicks when i did actual zero check at 50. I dont forsee any match grade this is purely a fun shooter and conversation piece. Way to loud and bright for a house gun for my taste, and if im outdoors in harms way il take the extra velocity/accuracy from a 16 to 20 inch. Now for a slung gun offering more firepower than a traditional pistol but smaller and lighter than a full size rifle, its an intersting option i carried it yesterday walk around property che cking trail cams was out of way yet handy with better range and power than most any sidearm. Basically just fun, but capable of serious social work in a pinch ??

Not to hijack the topic, but since it's been a few days, I just wanted to reply back.

I was able to sight in the colt upper that a got a while back. I'm a bit embarrassed that it's took me this long to be able to take a shoot it any as it has, but I didn't have to touch the detachable carryhandle or the front post at 25 yards. No kidding, they were dead on where they needed to be.

I pulled the first shot (that's typical for me since I'm always leary the first time that I shoot something) but it was like the combination was made for each other. I saw no need to shoot at the duct tape any more than I did.

I went through a few rounds rapid fire at the steel and heated the barrel up some, but everything was tight and just as it should've been.

I love it when stuff works the way it's supposed to right out of the box.

E2vtxR5.jpg

I've never had that happen before.

But I'm not complaining.

After I shot a few times, I looked at the gun and looked at the target, and in my best Doug Marcaida voice, I said: "It will shoot".

Heads up !!! AR pistol enthusiasts, my son was here this evening we did some night work. AAR by 3 individuals a soldier a marine and a cop: ar pistol home defense GET A CAN !!!! Unless you want blown eardrums and nightblindness while attempting to fight in your home ya better have a CAN or a diff weapon.
Is it fun YUP is it functional YUP is it loud RIDICULOUS is it brite YUP. So for day time OUTDOORS has some merrit. Indoor house gun without suppressor um no, 3 resounding not no but heck no. Now you could just hold muzzle around a corner and dump some rounds if ya know no friendlys down that way and odds are your intruder will leave. Anyhow that's our evening shoot assesment of the 5.56 AR pistol in its current config. Reinforcing practice train study learn dont assume or believe all ya read. I bet ive heard 100 times what a great small compact powerful home D weapon an ar pistol is.....Try it yourself

^ Pretty much mirrors what I told you.

Has a lot of bark and flash. I think those are the exact words that I used.

You want a good gun to grab at night? suppressed blackout with 194 gr Lehigh max expansion bullets loaded with 8.5 or 8.6 gr of #9 powder. That keeps the velocity up as high as possible while not busting eardrums. I simply do not know of a better tool for the job.

Back