• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Got my 930 SPX today and I just took it apart to inspect it. How many extractors are on the bolt? I only have one with a groove on the left side which seems to imply there should be 2. I looked around my area and I don't see any indication that anything fell off during the disassemble process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Water Monkey

I hit up youtube there seems to be only one extractor that I can tell from the video. Just double checking with you guys if that's the case.

Just struck me funny because I have 2 on my Savage Mark II bolt action .22lr

my 930 spx shoot great. my problem is im having problems loading more than 5 round in the tube... sometimes it will load 7... but most time it will stop at 5... if i take the forearm off then i can get 7 in everytime. there has to be a problem with the pusher getting stuck where the mag extention is screwed on.. what should i look for? i noticed the forearm retainer doesnt look to hot

SeaScout

Howdy,
A couple points to clarify.
1) In the world of shotguns, the length of a shell is based on the length AFTER firing. Counter intuitive but true. Even then they can and do vary. :D

Ref:http://hunting.about.com/od/shotgun/l/aastshotgunfaqb.htm

2) The "pusher" is in fact called a follower. There are many, many threads on the vexing issue causing the malfunctions that have plagued so many of us. Most answers are found in finding the right spring length, type of follower and mag extension. There is a boatload of good discussions to research on the search function to help. :) :)
Cheers...

I just recieved my new Mossberg 930 SPX and i was so very excited to get it in my hands and to the range. I followed the advice of many and field stripped and cleaned the weapon before taking it out for a test drive. The problem im having is when i pull back the charge handle to load that 1st shell (2 3/4) the shell dosent chamber properly, even if i pull that charge handle back really hard. sometimes it loads and sometimes it dosent. this is my only complaint but it's a big one. ill probably call mossberg on monday but im really bumed out about that. Any advice ??

I understand your frustration. Been there myself. How is the shell hanging up? Have you shot it yet and if so, how many rounds have you put through it? Is it hanging up with different types of loads?
Best...

The shell just dosent spring into position. I have to pull really hard on the charge handle almost violently or slide the charge handle back and forth a few times to chamber the round. yes i have fired 20 rounds so far andis shoots great, nice groups and no jams. but i can live with the possibility that i cant chamber a round in ahurry if i need too.

Huff64 said:
The shell just dosent spring into position. I have to pull really hard on the charge handle almost violently or slide the charge handle back and forth a few times to chamber the round. yes i have fired 20 rounds so far andis shoots great, nice groups and no jams. but i can live with the possibility that i cant chamber a round in ahurry if i need too.
OK then,
This is important ... How many different brands of ammo have you tried? If just one, that is where I would start. Many new 930's need to be broken in. Some are ammo sensitive at first. Try several different loads by different brands, not just one, start with heavy loads. Slugs and full power buckshot.
Hope this helps.
Best...

Ive only shot like 20 rounds so far and they have all been 2 3/4 1oz slugs or 9 pellet 00 buck. as far as brands they were federal and winchester. someone suggested replacing the cheesy extension tube and spring with a nordic system but the site is very unclear what size matches the tube on my SPX. the weapon fires just fine and ejects the spent shells with no issues. the problem seems to be when i 1st cock the charge handle back the shell dosent come up the elevator (for a lack of technical term).

Huff64 said:
Ive only shot like 20 rounds so far and they have all been 2 3/4 1oz slugs or 9 pellet 00 buck. as far as brands they were federal and winchester. someone suggested replacing the cheesy extension tube and spring with a nordic system but the site is very unclear what size matches the tube on my SPX.
Well,
It sounds like your shells are hanging up inside the chamber, no?
If they are getting out of the mag tube, but having a hard time chambering, that is different than not feeding out of the mag tube. This is why we need to be precise in looking at the problem. My SPX suffered from both issues at first. BTW,I would quess that few have advocated changing the original spring and follower than I have, I think it is always a good idea to up grade those.

Correct. sorry for not being specific enough. I plan on calling Mossberg tomorrow and since i bought mine from Bud's gunshop online the local gunshop wont be to willing to help out without a fee. How did you resolve the issues with yours ?.

SeaScout

OK then, progress!
I thought that was the case, failure to feed in the chamber. This problem can be caused by a number of issues and therefore may have one or more answers. The problems can include, rough receiver or chamber marks, the elevator angle being to low or high and even ammo related. Start by taking your weapon apart so that you can really inspect the chamber and receiver well. You may find rough surfaces that can be polished out. There are several very good threads on how to do this. Take the time to read them closely. It will really help. Not hard either, just follow the advice as it is laid out. Take the time to clean the piss out of everything while you have it apart. Check the receiver and polish as needed. Take it to the range after this with at least three quality different brands of ammo, no cheap crap. All heavy loads. Run the snot out of it hard. Do not mix brands of ammo and keep accurate note as to what is going on, when is it going on. You can handle this better than just sending it back to Mossberg at this point. And if you do have to send it back, you will be in a better position to help them by better understanding your situation. Let us know how it goes.
Best...

Thanks alot for the sound advise. BTW I did order a new GG&G follower but I still need to find a good replacment tube spring.

That is the easy answer. Wolff General Purpose extra power spring trimmed to 28" to start. BTW, if that new follower does not fit the bill, take a look at the Wilson's 870 Remmington. My SSX runs like butter with that set up. And yes, I have tried to S&J.
Cheers...

I ordered a Wolff spring today and i see i will need to trim it down to 28 inches. I also ordered a GG&G follower. I am still having issues with the 1st round not making its way from the extension tube to the chamber. I took the weapon to the range today and put another 50 rounds thru it then got it home and thoroughly cleaned then re tested the ptoblem. still not resolved. I called Mossberg and the tech said that replacing those to items probably wont help solve the issue so they are sending me a pre-paid shipping lable via email. 3-4 weeks with no SPX does not make me happy.

Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

I purchase my 930 SPX this past weekend. While taking it apart to clean and oil it I found these 2 marks on the Magazine Tube. I had only shot 10 rounds through the gun so far. The marks are deep enough to feel with my fingernail. The one mark extends to the threads where the extension screws onto however it is not deep at the point and the threads are fine. What are you thoughts? Friend of mine says take it back another says if the gun fires and functions good why bother. Personally it fires and doesn't seem to have any other issues. Anyone else find marks on their tubes like this?

930_003.jpg

930_002.jpg

930_001.jpg

930_004.jpg

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube

That, to my untrained eye and unbiased opinion, looks like the scratch was on the tube after the threads were cut.

If you look at your first picture, the scratch extends beyond where the threading starts and is on top of the threads and is not between the threads. Had it been threaded into the receiver (assembled), there is no way it could've gotten scratched like that, less it was unthreaded when it was scuffed. and had it been scratched prior to threading, the scratch would also appear between the threads (which protected that part of the tube from whatever scratched it.

I wonder if you may have inadvertently did that while disassembling it. Or maybe someone scuffed it while building the gun. Who knows? I don't really like to speculate.

At any rate, I do not think it will cause a problem.

Some barrels seemed to have some sharp edges in the gas ststem that would cause scratches.

Check out this thred on the topic: Scoring on the Mag Tube

Did you buy that gun new? You appear to have a bit of wear there for only 10 rounds.

Thanks for the replies...Yes I purchased it new. It wasn't in the shop that long either. The date on the box is 4/12.

Back