• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

I purchased the Vang Comp..........from Brownell's. Easy install; not noticeably too different than the original; installed "fat" end toward stock; good solid click and much easier on the thumb when using. I'd have to give this modification a two thumbs up rating.

Mine just shipped, I'll be sure to post pics as soon as it's installed. I was going to order the whole kit yesterday (it showed in stock) but didn't complete the transaction. When I finally placed my order this morning the kits were out of stock but I was able to get just the switch.

Cool man, keep us updated on that. I don't need it now, but I'm sure it will make life a lot easier during the cold season wheni may be wearing gloves. Plus t looks pretty close to stock. If you remember could you get a snap of the safeties from the side to see if there is much of a height difference in general besides the obvious part
Thanks

ZombieHunterD said:
If you remember could you get a snap of the safeties from the side to see if there is much of a height difference in general besides the obvious part

I will do that for sure.

My apologies................didn't see the request for a picture of the Brownell's metal safety I put on my Mossie 500. I sure do like it. Just enough "bite" for the safety to fit and grab the thumb.

p1460113994-4.jpg

Chris C said:
My apologies................didn't see the request for a picture of the Brownell's metal safety I put on my Mossie 500. I sure do like it. Just enough "bite" for the safety to fit and grab the thumb.

p1460113994-4.jpg

That looks like the one I'm going to buy. Thanks for the pics. tom.

ZombieHunterD said:
No pictures of the brownells safety on a mossy yet?

ZombieHunterD said:
Cool man, keep us updated on that. I don't need it now, but I'm sure it will make life a lot easier during the cold season when may be wearing gloves. Plus it looks pretty close to stock. If you remember could you get a snap of the safeties from the side to see if there is much of a height difference in general besides the obvious part
Thanks

Got my Brownells safety in the mail yesterday and just got it installed. Definitely more of a positive feel. I mounted mine with the "skijump" forward and it doesn't interfere with my sight picture. You can see it but it's not really a distraction. In the side by side pic they look the same height but measuring with calipers the stock safety is .215" and the Brownells is .19" tall without the extra protrusion.

Stock safety installed
IMG_0316.PNG

Sise by side
IMG_0317.PNG

Brownells safety installed
IMG_0321.PNG

Brownells safety top view
IMG_0324.PNG

Anyone know the type and size of bit that is required to remove the screw on the Mossberg 500 safety? Are these called tamper proof screws or safety screws? Any pics of the business end of the bit that will fit his screw?

know the type of bit that is required to remove the screw on the safety?

The tamper proof screw, or one-way screw is fairly easy to remove. There is no special tool, simply use a flat head screw driver. Bear down on screwdriver while turning and they'll usually come out. Removing a stubborn one is more involved.

My home defense shot gun is a Maverick 88 12 GA persuader 7+1. I put a 500A trigger group in it. I'm not messing with a safety in a life or death situation. Pump n POW! He who shoots first has a better chance of telling the story. phipp

Anyone know the thread size and thread length of the factory Mossberg safety screw? I want to see if my local Fastenal store has
a hex head version in stock.

Anyone know the thread size and thread length of the factory Mossberg safety screw? I want to see if my local Fastenal store has
a hex head version in stock.

That would be a good option...
I'd say to take it out and bring it with you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I decided to go with the factory Mossberg 500 steel safety and got one on the way from Havlin Sales to replace my plastic safety. I was shocked when I took a standard bit and was able to loosen the factory one-way screw very easily. I also ordered a couple hex head screws to replace the goofy one-way screw Mossbergs lawyers probably suggested that they put on their guns.

Last edited:
Mossberg factory safety screws are 6-32 thread and the threads are 5/16 inch long. I replaced the safety screw with a hex head screw, but have not received my steel safety switch yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 59
Back