• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recent content by Iver Johnston

1. Iver Johnston

500 failure to cycle

https://imgur.com/ADQODer
  2. Iver Johnston

500 failure to cycle

[/IMG] Just spent an incredibly frustrating few hours trying to get my 500 to cycle, after I took it apart to clean it. Could have done it a hundred times in the past with no problems, but this time the bolt would only go back half way without stopping solid. After about 20 times taking it...
  3. Iver Johnston

500 stored cocked or de cocked?

It's hard to imagine owning a 500 and never having "dry fired" it. Mine is stored with 3 in the magazine (5 shot model) to relieve the mag spring a little, breech empty and dry fired.
  4. Iver Johnston

Is there an acceptable misfire % for the 500?

Any misfire I ever had was either due to the brand of cartridge, or because I had short stroked it. The firing pin spring is really strong. When pressing it with your finger, you'd wonder how the hammer manages to push the pin forward with enough force to dent the primer at all.
  5. Iver Johnston

Hi from the UK

I get comments like " where's your stocking mask?" and "what bank are you practicing for next?" :D
  6. Iver Johnston

Hi from the UK

Welcome, from Southern Ireland. How are you getting on at the clays? Winding up the Perazzi, Caeser Guerini, Beretta and Miroku boys I hope! :D
  7. Iver Johnston

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

Ah, pistols only allowed here for target competition. And you need to be a member of a range/club at that, unfortunately. Have a Beretta 391 Urika autoloader and a Tikka in .223 as well, and the wife just bought a 20 bore o/u for clays. Remember each gun here has a separate licence, which is...
  8. Iver Johnston

Mossberg Owners in the UK?

Hi Thrower, a 500 owner here. From Cavan in Rep. of Ireland.
  9. Iver Johnston

Hello from England

No problem in the UK. https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/reloading-ammunition
  10. Iver Johnston

Anyone else using the 88 for skeet?

Been using my 500 for trap since last September. Great fun, especially because you are almost guaranteed to be the only person there with a pump. Here in Ireland, "Sporting" is a very popular clay bird discipline. Targets can be crossing left to right, right to left, going away, coming at...
  11. Iver Johnston

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Trying my 500, the unfired cartridge would have to be shorter than 1.75 inches long for it to drop through the shell lifter like that.
  12. Iver Johnston

C-LECT Choke Question

The hole in the barrel doesn't matter, as long as the threads of the bead aren't projecting into the bore. Consider ported barrels, 16 holes bored into the barrel, and no ill effects.
  13. Iver Johnston

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

My 500. What Mossberg called a "Crown Grade" back in 1997. 28" barrel, vented bead, barrel porting, choke tubes, gold trigger etc.
  14. Iver Johnston

How hard is it to access mag spring on 500?

Possibly a gradual slippage in tolerance in the machine tools used to cut the threads in the reciever or mag tube, causing tubes to loosen. And Loctite was a cheaper option than scrapping huge numbers of components. Just my guess.
Back