• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

DHonovich said:
Vang Comp Systems safety on my Mossberg 500 and 930!
p513170055-4.jpg

Dan, did that screw come with the Vang Comp safety? Any idea what the screw dimensions are?

dirksterg30 said:
DHonovich said:
Vang Comp Systems safety on my Mossberg 500 and 930!
p513170055-4.jpg

Dan, did that screw come with the Vang Comp safety? Any idea what the screw dimensions are?

I'm gonna guess, just because of the way Dan photo documents the parts before installing them, that the allen screw does indeed come with the safety, as pictured below. Pics like these from Dan are typically straight out of packaging. ;)

DHonovich said:
Mossberg 590 A1 VCS Safety
p733205489-4.jpg

Nice upgrade!!!

I bought the Brownell safety and can't figure out how to install it.

The safety on my new 500 has some kind of screww the only let's you tighten it - it wont let me unscrew to take the old one off.

Any suggestions?

Any one else have tis problem?

:cool:

dondavis3 said:

The safety on my new 500 has some kind of screww the only let's you tighten it - it wont let me unscrew to take the old one off.

Any suggestions?

I just did this with mine. Put the gun in my lap, safety up. Bear down hard on screw with good screwdriver and twist. Mine came lose right away with no slippage. I've read on this forum that some dremmel a flat spot and use a punch but I didn't need to.

dondavis3 said:

Any suggestions?

I used a screwdriver safety bit I got with a gunsmithing bit set a few years ago from Midway USA. I wonder if your local home-improvement/hardware store would have bits like that available?

dirksterg30 said:
dondavis3 said:

Any suggestions?

I used a screwdriver safety bit I got with a gunsmithing bit set a few years ago from Midway USA. I wonder if your local home-improvement/hardware store would have bits like that available?

I'd assume so. These screws are used in the occasional pre-fabbed, put it together yourself kits like bookshelfs, desks, ect ect

oli700 said:
sure like mine alot more than the OEM

I bet im looking forward to putting one on mine. I am kind of scared to do it myself as im afraid I will lose the little ball.

Put a towel down where you're working. Stick your screwdriver through the bottom of a zip lock bag and put the bag over the receiver as you're working.

I put a little grease on the spring when I replace the safety, it will hold the ball in place. Be sure to take the steel plate off the factory safety and put it on your new safety button.

Replacing the safety can be a three handed job, be sure to have a "Warm Body" standing by to assist if needed. They will only be needed to start the new screw while you hold the internal part and new safety in place.

IF you have to take the entire fire control and bolt assembly out of the receiver, remember the "leg" of the safety goes to the rear of the receiver. (you'll see what I mean)

gumbydammit said:
I put a little grease on the spring when I replace the safety, it will hold the ball in place. Be sure to take the steel plate off the factory safety and put it on your new safety button.

Replacing the safety can be a three handed job, be sure to face a "Warm Body" standing by to assist if needed. They will only be needed to start the new screw while you hold the internal play and new safety in place.

IF you have to take the entire fire control and bolt assembly pour of the receiver, remember the "leg" of the safety goes to the rear of the receiver. (you'll see what I mean)

I will more than likely just pay my gunsmith 30 bucks to install it this way I can assure no screw ups.

tnxdshooter said:
oli700 said:

I bet im looking forward to putting one on mine. I am kind of scared to do it myself as im afraid I will lose the little ball.

Dont be afraid, remember the words of GhostRider;
"you cant live your life in fear."

You can do this man!

Rossignol said:
tnxdshooter said:
oli700 said:

Dont be afraid, remember the words of GhostRider;
"you cant live your life in fear."

You can do this man!

When it comes to things mechanical I have been a lifelong screw up. I dont know if I can do this or not.

I can get by nicely with the factory safety button, though I do like the looks of the brownells safety button and am going to give one a try. I've ordered it along with a new screw...just in case I bugger it up backing it out.

Back