• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shoten Armory Action Lock Extension

I am reviewing the Extended Slide Release Lever by Shoten Armory, $45.

http://www.shotenarmory.com

After installing the Blackhawk Knoxx Spec Ops NRS stock on my Mossberg 500 I came across a problem. I couldn't reach my action lock easily. In fact, the problem was bad enough that in order to cycle my weapon I had to remove my firing hand to press the button, and then pump. Then I'd have to renew my position and then prepare to fire.

I have a personal policy that all actions must be executed with minimal movement, and movement of my firing hand only in dire emergency. I recreated my manual of arms specifically to incorporate such requirements and have trained on them for the last decade. But with that mossberg, I was stuck.

I looked around and there's really nothing out there for extensions. People suggested grinding down the stock to access the action lock, but I don't like to grind away parts.

Enter Shoten Armory. Owner Mike Levy was very helpful in answering my questions, bringing conversations well into the night and not stopping where his products ended. Although his products are only the extension and a single point sling adapter, we discussed options for forging forends for smaller people, gunsmithing options for installation of the extension, and he recommended how I should have done it.

I placed my order for the part. After taxes I spent $48.71 for the Knoxx RR Lever. This one was designed for the recoil reduction version of my stock. This was a calculated risk. I had the option of sending in my stock and having one custom forged to my stock. But I got this one instead with the plan of bending it to fit my stock, if necessary.

It arrived in just a few days, and it didn't fit my stock. Using two pairs of pliers and some force, I bent it slightly, and now it fits.

Let me tell you, unless you are proficient with the inner workings of your trigger assembly, pay the $15 extra and have Shoten Armory install the extension.

I bent it and warped the paint, so it's not pretty anymore, but I received it with a great black oxide on it, much like the rest of my pieces are.

Even with the wooden stock back on it, using the action lock is now incredibly easy. This extension took the hunt for the button to an afterthought.

I will definitely go back to Shoten Armory for my next mossberg. This piece is a win and is now a no-brainer. I cannot believe this is the ONLY such product on the market.

BLUF: Get it.

image.jpg

Note the hack job my pliers did to the finish. I could've let them do it for me and it would've had a brilliant black oxide finish like the rest of my gun.

Thanks for posting up your experience and review.

We've heard nothing but good things about Shoten Armory...

Looks like you had to grind on the stock after all ? ....I like his ingenuity, I remember when he was getting the part figured out here and I'm glad he is getting it out there .
That said I have only used the action release a hand full of times since I am always either chambered or cruiser ready with the hammer dropped on an empty chamber, rendering the action unlocked 100% of the time

Unfortunately I did grind it a little. When I shoot I don't often go alone. I'm usually with my wife or a coworker, and I've yet to take someone who is used to a 12g. So it gets used a lot.

Besides, I take pride in keeping my firing hand in place during my manual of arms.

I am the Tactical Support Director for Shoten Armory and I can tell you that I was a customer first. The dilemma with the OEM Action Control Release
had gotten to the point where I needed a remedy. I actually found out about Shoten through Facebook who saw it discussed here at Mossberg Owners.
All of my Mossbergs now have the Shoten Armory Extended Slide Release AND our Custom Porting. The custom porting makes a Federal Power*Shok
feel like a hot 410 or light 20. That's even before you look at a Scorpion from ATI or a Limbsaver. Target acquisition is superb and followup shots
are deadon and fast. When you combine the benefits of the Extended Slide Release Lever and the Custom Porting, you have an extremely serious
setup. My only message to anyone based on my own experience in LE and Military is don't blow money on accessories that do not enhance your ability to
use your firearm to its fullest. Use the money instead on targets, dummy rounds, live ammo and FOCUSED range time. Shoten Armory now carries a full
line of Mesa Tactical for Remington and Mossberg. Check out the 3T Tactical line and TUFF1 Gun Grips. People know we stand behind our products
and so we only carry those items of direct tactical and practical necessity. Come visit! www.shotenarmory.com

I also have an extended slide release from Shoten Armory on my Mossberg. The first one they sent me broke after about 20 minutes on the range. When I called and told them about it, the first words out of Mike's mouth were, "We'll have another one on it's way to you tomorrow." I talked with Mike for a while and discussed how to improve the design to keep it from happening again. Talked about a few other things as well, he seems like a pretty decent guy.

I put the second one in and have used it for the last few months. I've had no issues with it. I've always believed that the mark of a good company to do business with, is not so much consistent perfection, but rather how they deal with their mistakes. I was very impressed with how Shoten dealt with theirs. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Now, if only Maverick Arms were anywhere even remotely close to being that decent....

Thanks for the post.

Glad to see they took care of you.

Now, if only Maverick Arms were anywhere even remotely close to being that decent....

We've been waiting on that one for a while too.

It seems to be hit or miss with them, but a little consistency would be really nice...

Things have really been evolving at Shoten Armory. Our customer service is the most important part of the business.
As Tactical Support Director, I have what some might call a very cool job. But it wouldn't be if I worked with those who
place little value in the customer. Hey, we're all customers somewhere, right? We know what it feels like to be treated right
and when we think we don't matter. At Shoten we place ourselves in the customer's position and only design and develop
as well as handle the products we know are solid and reliable. In the beginning, customers provided us suggestions to make
the product better. We listened. Thanks for checking us out. Drop on by and check out some of the new goodies. I call it my
personal wishlist sometimes.

Back