• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 in 3 gun

BrianJ

.270 WIN
First time competing in a 3 gun match this weekend and used my SA-20. Steel knockdown targets to about 20 yds, a steel Texas star at 10-15 and steel knockdowns with popup clays as followup.

I was a little concerned about the power vs the 12 ga but no problems with any target. Used Remington Express Long Range #6, 1 oz, 1220 fps. I did have a choke added to the 20 inch cylinder bore barrel and I ran a Trulock improved modified choke. Also used a Choate 7 round mag extension and S.O. Tech velcro side saddles. Took off the pistol grip and used the standard stock.

Gun handled fine, now all I have to work on is the "little things" like aiming better and shooting much faster (mostly on rifle and pistol). Had 1 FTF after a combat reload but was likely operator error. Match was great fun and learned a lot. Very long day though.
If you get the opportunity to run one, DO IT.

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad to hear you got your sa-20 running smooth.

First time competing in a 3 gun match this weekend and used my SA-20. Steel knockdown targets to about 20 yds, a steel Texas star at 10-15 and steel knockdowns with popup clays as followup.

I was a little concerned about the power vs the 12 ga but no problems with any target. Used Remington Express Long Range #6, 1 oz, 1220 fps. I did have a choke added to the 20 inch cylinder bore barrel and I ran a Trulock improved modified choke. Also used a Choate 7 round mag extension and S.O. Tech velcro side saddles. Took off the pistol grip and used the standard stock.

Gun handled fine, now all I have to work on is the "little things" like aiming better and shooting much faster (mostly on rifle and pistol). Had 1 FTF after a combat reload but was likely operator error. Match was great fun and learned a lot. Very long day though.

Which (Area) match did you attend?

The match was at LIPSA. Long Island Practical Shooters Association in Westhampton Beach, NY. I almost had to bring my passport to go that far east.
A lot of sand. Like shooting at a beach with big sand dunes. It will take me a week to clean everything but it was great.

7 stages is a great day! The site front page sure does show the Long Island sand.
Club classes are interesting variations:
  • Pump-Limited: Pump action shotgun & a rifle with iron sights.
  • Limited: Iron sight semi-auto shotgun and a rifle with iron sights.
  • Tactical: Iron sight pump or semi-auto shotgun and a rifle with any type of scope or optic.
  • Heavy Metal: Rifle shooting 7.62x51 (.308WIN) or larger caliber.
  • Open: Optics on both guns or more than 1 option on any one gun. Magazine fed semi-automatic shotguns.
Note: Power factor is determined by the caliber of your rifle. 7.62x51 (.308WIN) or larger is considered major.

Do they score pistols major/minor as well?! Sounds like no chrono though.

Thanks for the 20g report - a lot of people ask about that!

Not sure about the pistols but no chrono. Normally my 9mm is classified minor. I ended up in Tactical because I have a scope on my Mini 14. With my eyes I can barely make out the 100 yd targets even with the scope.
Us old guys should get a dispensation.
No way to tell how much, if any, effect the choke had. I'll have to experiment one day.

I don't shoot 20 gauge but stepping down from cyl HAS to help in certain situations! Being able to shoot #6 is a plus too in my eyes. A club I like really requires chokes to do well with near and far shots and always some required buck and slug. The guys with the 18" cyl room sweepers take it pretty hard on some stages.

According to TruLock I can shoot any bird and buck through the improved modified and even a full choke because I have the extended choke. Slugs can only be used up to improved cylinder.
The IM choke in the 20" barrel took me from 8-10 on trap to 16-19. I have to break 20 soon.

Just getting around to checking this post. Gotta say, glad to hear about your SA 20 having that much knock down power. I had mine threaded, but haven't tried the steel. Pretty awesome with slugs and buckshot though. Also had the forcing cone opened while being threaded. Really like mine !!!

Ordered a SA-20 Bantam for my wife to use in 3G. Have read all the post about polishing different parts of the shotgun, too make it run better.

Have not seen a post about a larger bolt handle, similar to the one on my 930 JM Pro. Any such beast available???

You have been reading my mind. Been trying for a while but none that I can find. I even contacted someone who makes custom ones out of 4140 and 4150 but he said I would have to order 200 - 250 to make the price low enough. Apparently there is no demand.
I would like to get a backup stock Mossberg unit and customize mine but they do not sell them. I would also like to have a backup as I saw someone with a 930 lose his at a match and used a screw driver as a handle for the rest of the match.
Anyone have an extra or three they want to sell?
What else you doing with the bantam? Pics?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into having my machine shop come up with a knob he can add.

Not done anything too it yet. It's for my wife, and it's due in Tue. Right off the bat, the lifter is going to be welded, a CHOATE extension installed, the loading port opened up, polish all moving parts, and give it a bath in the sonic machine...

If I can get it running as well as my 930 JM Pro, I'll be very pleased.

Last edited:
Same here with the knob. I have seen some on line but they never give dimensions on the internal diameter.

The lifter on these can be very sensitive. I had feeding issues in the beginning as the shell would hang on the right rim of the chamber (by the extractor slot) at least 3 out of 10 shots. I had Mossberg replace the trigger group (with lifter) and never had the problem again. The lifter was slightly bent towards the outside.
Make sure it cycles properly before you modify it.
I might go with the loading port work also. I little bit chicken to take a file or grinder to it though. Keep us updated.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it slow on the mods now, knowing this. I'll get it shooting flawlessly, THEN work on the lifter mod.

Got the SA-20 Bantam in yesterday. Disassembled, and cleaned throughly in my sonic machine. Reassembled with no lube, and inspected the moving parts in receiver for metal to metal contact, and polished those areas. Cleaned once again, reassembled with lube. Action is much smoother. Tried some Federal 7/8 oz field loads, and of course would not cycle. Have some RIO 1 oz loads on the way. Crossing fingers they will work fine.

Installed the 9 shot extension from CHOATE. The 9 shot extension is the same tube that works on the Rem 870 20 gauge. The extension tube is just slightly shorter than the barrel. A 10 shot extension would have exceeded the length of the barrel. The SA-20 magazine tube had a lip at the end of the tube that I had to remove. The Dremel Tool took care of that fairly quick.

Got up with Southern Kentucky Tactical. He got a SA-20 lifter, and welded the fork. Waiting for that too arrive before I open up the loading port. Since this shotgun is for my wife, who has smaller fingers, I 'm figuring it's not going to have to be opened up all that much.

Only other component we're waiting on, is the fiber optic from sight to come in from Midway.

May get to run a few rounds through it this weekend at the range!

Was your FTF with the SA-20 or with one of the other guns? Take care. Tom Worthington

Was your FTF with the SA-20 or with one of the other guns? Take care. Tom Worthington

It was with the SA-20. I have actually had 2 issues. This time I loaded overhand to the ejection port after slide lock and then released the bolt and loaded 4 in the mag. first one fired and the next jammed on the rim of the chamber and didn't load. I was moving the gun at the time and may have had it rolled over with the port down.

The second issue was a slam fire. different match. Weak hand load to the ejection port, same as previous, hit the bolt release and it fired, a little out of battery. (RO saw no finger in trigger guard and we both saw some gas escape from port. Firing pin retaining pin came loose in bolt, Mossberg fixed it right away. No issues since.

Back