• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Making a carved knife blade from O1

diyguy

.270 WIN
After doing a lot of backbone filing I thought I would try my hand at carving a bit of detail into the blade of one of my own. I have done filing on the back edge of knives but this goes way beyond that.
The blade is O1 flat ground annealed. Here are a few images along the way. I am trying to make vines.
vines1.jpg

vines2.jpg

vines3.jpg

vines4.jpg

Files and chisels help remove the material from the opening. It's pretty slow going.
vines5.jpg

I use a Dremmel tool were ever I can.
vines6.jpg

vines7.jpg

vines8.jpg

I have it pre-beveled but not completly and will finish the bevel after I heat treat the blade.
vines9.jpg

I used a chisel to add texture to the vines and then applied gun bluing to color just the vines.
vines91.jpg

I made a set of Cocobolo Scales and then gave them 3 coats of super glue as a finish before epoxying them to the blade. Once I trim down the pins, I will give them one more coat of super glue.
I apply the super glue with my finger tip. You have to move fast and keep moving or you and the wood become one.
vines92.jpg

vines93.jpg

The gun bluing does not photograph well.
vines96.jpg

vines97.jpg

vines98.jpg

vines95.jpg

vines99.jpg

thats pretty awesome. im jealous of you dedication and patience. ive got the attention deficit of a squirrel. keep up the great work

Very nice diyguy. Have you ever thought of using an old car or truck leaf spring for material?

No. I have too much other known steel and O1 tool steel plue leaf springs are curved and usually thicker than I need. 10 in table saw blades make nice small knives but you want to use one piece blades and not soft steel blades with added carbide teeth. Here is a 10 inch table saw blade knife I made from a while back.

Moms1.jpg

Back