• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

should i put iron sights on my flat top

bocaboca

Copper BB
i bought my 715t flat top (from a friend) with a BSA red dot on it. if im going to be shooting at different distances shouldnt i have the option of using iron sights? this is my first rifle with a scope so please forgive my inexperience. I haven't zeroed in the scope yet, but when I do.....isnt it "just for that" distance?

thanks

Ive checked the sponsors on this sight and none of them have iron sights for sale.

I've never understood why anyone puts a scope on a .22 anyway. It's not like you need one at under 100yds, or even under 500yds. Get some some good peep sights for it. You'll need to sight it in anyway, regardless.

the red dot should cover everything out to about 50 yards. if ya want to shoot farther its a good way to learn and practice holdover.

i bought my 715t flat top (from a friend) with a BSA red dot on it. if im going to be shooting at different distances shouldnt i have the option of using iron sights? this is my first rifle with a scope so please forgive my inexperience. I haven't zeroed in the scope yet, but when I do.....isnt it "just for that" distance?

thanks

Ive checked the sponsors on this sight and none of them have iron sights for sale.
I have front and rear flat top OEM sights (and a flat top OEM fore-end) I might be willing to part with. PM me if you are interested.
That goes for anyone interested in these parts!

Take a look at the Magpul PTS line.

This is a licensed brand that makes Magpul branded gear for airsoft rifles. Entire PTS branded MBUS sets sell for as little as $19.95. Much less expensive than the $59 for the standard Magpul rear sight. There's no reason this stuff wouldn't hold up just as well on a .22lr rifle and we have several members who have used them successfully on their 715t. Magpul may be discontinuing the license, so if you find one I would jump on it now...

Didn't that gun come with "battle" sights? (ie: AR pic-rail sights) My TAC-22 did... I kept them when I sold the gun and put them on my Oracle (for now). Note that I also installed a raised gas block... Zamazon has metal sights for $30 or so for "generic" metal jobs...

Attachments

• oracler1.jpg
    oracler1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3
OP hasn't visited in a while, but we've seen a lot of these rifles sold without iron sights.

The first few we figured were just factory oversight, but there have been far too many for that. It is more likely that there is a distributor exclusive or other model not listed on Mossberg's site that is sold as "optics ready". Many manufacturers sell rifles configured this way and I guess calling them "optics ready" reads better than "no sights included"...

Back