• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OK Convince me...

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Not really I'm pretty convinced.

Seems the MVP has some really good qualities - 1) good looking, 2) solid accuracy 3) accepts AR mags 4) very affordable

Here's my use:

100 - 200 yard dabbling into a budget long range precision rifle with 5.56 NATO cause I'm sitting on a decent stock. And I really don't need another caliber to be stocking up on, at the moment.

There seems to be some models from the 20" sporter, 18.5" bull barrel, 18.5" medium bull barrel

What's the difference with regards to long range precision with the different barrels for 5.56 NATO 55gr.

Seems they all have 1:9 twist ratio. What's the best bullet weight with this ratio to get solid groups MOA or sub MOA.

How's the glass that comes with the combo package?

Neck is taking it's sweet time to heal. Probably not going to be shotgunning much this year. Might as well knock out quarters at 100/200 yards

The difference in performance between an 18.5" and 20" barrel length will be negligible.

The heavier bull barrels will be more rigid and less susceptible to shot placement variation due to barrel harmonics and thermodynamics compared to a standard profile barrel. The medium bull barrel is more-less a way to improve rigidity without adding all the weight of a full bull. As far as twist goes, the 1:9" is a good middle ground twist rate that will handle bullet weights ranging from 45 grains into the low 70's. At 100 yd you likely won't see too much difference in pattern consistency anywhere in the weight range, but out to 200 yd the heavier bullets will be much more resistant to wind drift. It'll depend on your barrel as much as the projectile design and weight, but my 1:9" twist 20" bull barrel 700 really likes 69 grain projectiles out to 300 yd. The 55 grainers start acting pretty squirrely at that distance.

I'll have to defer comments on the glass to someone with first-hand experience...

Looks like the glass is kinda iffy. Looks to be a Barska $40 3-9x40

Nikon has a P223 BDC 600 scope reasonably priced... and the wheels keep on turning.

Anyone recommend decent scope mounts for the MVP?

What's the difference between hi, med, low mounts? Never had to put glass on my rifle before... so I have noob questions.

Why do you need a scope for practically point blank range? Back in the day, I could hit the bull with a M-16 ( or M1 & M14) every time at 500yds (prone) and 200yds (offhand) using the standard Mil peep sights.

What's the difference between hi, med, low mounts? Never had to put glass on my rifle before... so I have noob questions.

Your mount height will depend on the objective diameter of your optic, the size of the bell. A scope with a 56mm objective will need to be set higher above the bore than one with a 32mm bell. Otherwise the front end of the optic would make contact with the barrel. I prefer the lowest mount possible that allows for adequate clearance...

Why do you need a scope for practically point blank range? Back in the day, I could hit the bull with a M-16 ( or M1 & M14) every time at 500yds (prone) and 200yds (offhand) using the standard Mil peep sights.

From the looks of the MVP, it seems specifically designed for the use of a scope in most of the models. I could be wrong.

BTW why you trying to bring me down man? Seems we need a wrestle off now.

Not trying to bring you down. I just don't see the need for a scope for shots under 500yds. But whatever. Your choice, your money. :)

Not trying to bring you down. I just don't see the need for a scope for shots under 500yds. But whatever. Your choice, your money. :)
Gunny !.....yeah its done with peeps but no way you could match the grouping of a scope.
No way you could identify targets as well as a scope,
no way you could see hidden targets as well as with a scope,
no way you could judge wind as well as with a scope(Mirage),
no way you could range as well as you can with a mil dot scope or a Bullet Drop Reticle,
no way you could lead a target as well as you can with a scope....at 300 yards the aperture starts to cover a man size target in a leading situation.
I have no doubt about getting lead on a man size target at 500 yards with peeps but you aren't putting out consistent head shots , if a target is turned sideways good luck.

I know you have done it, I have killed game at 400 +- and 400-500 yards is a super long way and that was with my -06.
223 , 55gr beyond 2-300 yards is more of a wind game than anything IMO.
Those 55grers MOVE with a slight breeze that far out. I don't know if I would trust it to stop anything beyond 400 without a good shot to the dome so I think a scope on a 223 being shot that far is pretty important its the reason they are giving the troops SPR's with scopes and 77gr HPBT in the Middle East......If you just throwing lead on a wing and a prayer and hoping for a center mass OK, if your looking for a dependable, repeatable best at killing with one round, you simply cant beat scope IMO

The only MVP model that seems to have iron sights is the Patrol model with a 16.5" barrel. The rear sight is mounted forward of the scope mount, approx. 1/3 down the barrel. That doesn't seem ideal for 200-500 yard shots compared to the rifles that you were using Gunny.

WM, I don't have an MVP but would love to get one. Designing it to use AR mags was brilliant.

From my experience, 1:9 twist barrels are very good from the 45-mid 60 gr range. Not so good with the heavier bullets.

1:8 or 1:7 twist is better suited for the 65-77 gr pills.

At the same time, 50-62 gr bullets are by far the most common and available out there. After all, they've been making buttloads of 55 gr bullets for decades and decades.

As for optics, I'd skip the barska. I have owned several of them, but the last two I got were total junk. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

The electronics (illuminated reticle) was bad when I got one--it actually stunk from the internal meltdown while it was still in the box, and the other, the whole front of the tube bent upon the recoil of a 223 bullet due to the thin wall tube they use for the scope body. I have a picture of that saved somewhere, but I'd have to find it if you needed proof of what I'm saying is legit but I am not making any money off of my post, so I have no reason to mislead you or anyone else.

For the price range you're at, you could consider a simmons 3-9x50 would have you in the same ballpark as the barska and simmons are a much better scope.

But Nikon is better than the simmons if you're getting into bdc reticles and such for longer range.

Cool thanks guys!

John just saw a youtube video of a dude using 69gr PPU making a clover leaf at 100 yards with his MVP. Interesting stuff here.

I think I'm going to pony up for the Nikon P223 BDC 600 for $150. Pulled a move. Signed up for a capitol one card and I can get $100 credit if I spend $500 in 3 months. Ammo purchase will fund the glass… bam.

getting the process moving. scored a few 10 round pmags.... yes I'm hanging my head in shame.... 10 round pmags feels wrong.

WM, for the mounts and rings, I bought a stock one piece mount, they are actually made by UTG and I got one of those for cheaper than from OFM. Be warned however, it's significantly taller than the weaver mounts, and I find that the comb height is already a problem (too low). I'm actually getting some lower rings, to hopefully fix that problem. I have a 6-18x44 Redfield Revenge on it, which has made it a pretty accurate rifle. As far as ammo, I haven't had luck with the 75gr from either Hornady TAP, PPU or Federal, but have done well with a couple different variations of 69gr match offerings (Fiocchi and another, can't recall at the moment).

Hope you enjoy it!

WM, for the mounts and rings, I bought a stock one piece mount, they are actually made by UTG and I got one of those for cheaper than from OFM. Be warned however, it's significantly taller than the weaver mounts, and I find that the comb height is already a problem (too low). I'm actually getting some lower rings, to hopefully fix that problem. I have a 6-18x44 Redfield Revenge on it, which has made it a pretty accurate rifle. As far as ammo, I haven't had luck with the 75gr from either Hornady TAP, PPU or Federal, but have done well with a couple different variations of 69gr match offerings (Fiocchi and another, can't recall at the moment).

Hope you enjoy it!

Cool thanks for the heads up!

I contacted DNZ and they said get the low mount for a plain 3-9x40 scope. If I play my cards right I should be all locked and ready to hit the range by mid June. Perfect time to get dialed in, take a week off and nail quarters from 100, 200, and 300 yards. I have to get a comb raiser for my 930 spx so it can be a dual purpose for both long guns.

getting the process moving. scored a few 10 round pmags.... yes I'm hanging my head in shame.... 10 round pmags feels wrong.
yeah, but still 5 more rounds than 98% of all bolt guns out there. You wont feel the pain like on a semi, you'll be taking your time anyway and I bet mag changes are fast.
All the pistol work you have been putting in is really going to come out on that rifle. I'll go through waves of mostly handgun shooting because its the toughest for me and it always sharpens up my rifle shooting, and long guns come natural to me, always room for improvement though

Last edited:
Back