• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Frustrating 590a1 purchase!

Stegle

I made the purchase of a 590a1 item #51414 on 1/23/14 through gun genie (GOG) and the gun sent to my dealer had the wrong stock. I didn't accept it and on 1/30 was told by Davidsons customer service that they would go out and look at a replacement to make sure that it had the correct stock, and over nite ship it to my dealer. Today 2/5/14 I find out that all 9 guns in stock gave the wrong stock installed.

Davidsons and my dealer gave been very responsive to my calls and emails but this is out of their hands to get me a model with the right stock. They are offering $42 off my price if I accept the gun (which isn't shipped yet).

What do you guys think I should do here? Accept as is and deal with Mossberg or just cancel and order elsewhere? I'm not sure what Mossbergs solution will be and my dealer has tried to contact them twice now, only to be on hold to talk to anyone for 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

Can anyone point me in a direction that will resolve this issue? It would be much appreciated!
Steve N. :idea:

Contact Joe Zahker at jzakher@maverickarms.com and see what he might be able to do for you. Now my opinion.. if it's a good price and Davidsons will give you $40 off... I would just take it man. You can always auction off that stock here or on ebay and get what you want. As long as the internals and functional parts of the gun are good to go... everything else is dress up. JMHO though ;)

Thanks for that link,

I sent Joe an email. I agree that there's ways of dealing with just a stock problem, and that as long as the gun is functional it's really not a big deal. It's just that when you pay for something you expect to get exactly what you paid for.
Mossberg has had this listed incorrectly for over 3 years with a 3 dot site. I knew that, so wasn't surprised by the bead that's on it. But it clearly states and pictures a speedfeed stock everywhere you can find that version of the 590. I hope that mossberg will just send me the right one and I return the one it came with.

Contact Joe Zahker at jzakher@maverickarms.com and see what he might be able to do for you. Now my opinion.. if it's a good price and Davidsons will give you $40 off... I would just take it man. You can always auction off that stock here or on ebay and get what you want. As long as the internals and functional parts of the gun are good to go... everything else is dress up. JMHO though ;)

I sent Joe an email on the 5th and he said he would make it good (this time) as that model item #51414 doesn't come with a speedfeed stock. He asked me for my shipping info and I sent that to him along with pics and info that are on the mossberg web site showing and defining it with the speedfeed.
I hope that didn't tick him off as I didn't get any reply or confirmation from him. I realize he's plenty busy but not hearing back yet or having not received the stock yet I'm wondering if you guys think I should contact him again or just give it more time?

I still am confused how everywhere I went online to price check that gun showed the speedfeed stock, even mossberg!
I've noticed now that Davidson's is aware of it that they have changed the description and put it on sale till the 28th.
Why mossberg hasn't updated their description in over 3 years (3 dot site, and speedfeed) when it now comes with neither...

I may be coming across as anal here but I'm really not. I just expect a product to be as advertised. Sorry for going on and on about this issue.

I'd keep e-mailing/calling as often as you can until you're satisfied.

Doesn't change the situation or the fact that your shotgun didn't arrive as advertised, but I know that we've had several members here posting about failures in the factory SpeedFeed stocks. Seems there were issues with the butt pads cracking off under the spring tension. Pursue the matter as far as you wish, but personally I'm not a fan of the SpeedFeed set-up anyway...

Thanks for that LES. If it ever comes I'll keep an eye out on the pad. Maybe just load only one shell in each side for a while.
Went out and put 80 rounds through it today and practiced from 10 yards, mostly a variety of 7, 7.5, 8 birdshot and a few Winchester super X rifled slugs, Federal 00 buck, and Royal buck slugs.
Not one FTF or FTE and accuracy at that close range was pretty...should I say "devastating"
I was impressed with how flawlessly it performed. And being totally new to the shotgun I learned first hand about the phrase (you don't want to be on the business end) of a shotgun!
A couple pics my son took to post. These were the rifled slugs, you can just see a little flame coming out! They kicked way harder than the birdshot as I was expecting. Remember I'm new to this...but I was all grins after these shots!
The first pic is just a stock pic of the 51414. Looking forward to getting out again soon.

/ATTACH] image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Glad to see you're enjoying the new boomstick!

There's just something about sending lead down range out of a shotgun that puts a smile on my face every time. If you haven't seen this already, here's a great video by Rob Haught illustrating the "Push/Pull" method...

Using this shooting method will greatly reduce felt recoil and help keep fatigue to a minimum during extended shooting trips...

Glad to see you're enjoying the new boomstick!

There's just something about sending lead down range out of a shotgun that puts a smile on my face every time. If you haven't seen this already, here's a great video by Rob Haught illustrating the "Push/Pull" method...

Using this shooting method will greatly reduce felt recoil and help keep fatigue to a minimum during extended shooting trips...

I will definitely try that more squared off stance next time. I did end up bending my knees and slightly lean forward which helped quite a bit. Thanks for the video!

I've had to send Joe at Maverick 4 emails now and I think my stock might be coming.
He apologised for the delay on the 3rd one but that was 23 days ago. It's just a matter of time I hope...:)

Last edited:
You know, I really hate that you've had to wait this long. It's just ridiculous. If Joe is the only one there who's handling these issues it's easy to understand that he's got his hands full, but still there's no reason you should not have your stock after this long. I really do love my Mossbergs, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to stand behind their business practices. Quality control is all but non existent and customer service is working some serious overtime to make up for it. Somebody in their organization needs to figure out how to fix this...

You know, I really hate that you've had to wait this long. It's just ridiculous. If Joe is the only one there who's handling these issues it's easy to understand that he's got his hands full, but still there's no reason you should not have your stock after this long. I really do love my Mossbergs, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to stand behind their business practices. Quality control is all but non existent and customer service is working some serious overtime to make up for it. Somebody in their organization needs to figure out how to fix this...

You know LES, I've now sent 10 emails to him. 6 after he apologised on March 4, stating my order was being sent soon.
Here it is April 22 and he isn't responding anymore. My last one I just asked him to be straight up and tell me:
Am I or am I not getting the stock you stated you would send?
He has ignored those requests. It's sad that a company with an excellent product treat what might be repeat customers this way, it leaves a bad feeling in my mind about customer service that acts like this.
I stated to him: I know your busy, and he replied that that wasn't the case...so Joe, what is it? :(

That's unreal. I can't believe in the world of search engines that their customer service reputation isn't costing them a lot of sales.

That's unreal. I can't believe in the world of search engines that their customer service reputation isn't costing them a lot of sales.

It kind of gives you the impression that they think they're too big to worry about one little customer. While forgetting the fact that they built their business one customer at a time. I love my shotgun, and have strongly considered some other guns they make, but that will be pretty hard for me to justify making that purchase!
The website still shows that model with 3 dot sites and speedfeed stock, but comes with neither.

HOME / SHOTGUNS / PUMP ACTION / MOSSBERG 590A1 SPECIAL PURPOSE / 590A1 (LPA™ TRIGGER) / 51414

BUY NOW

SPECIFICATIONS

Gauge12
Chamber Size3"
Capacity6
Barrel18.5" Fluted
Sights3 Dot
ChokesCylinder Bore
Overall Length39.5"
Length Of Pull13.875"
Barrel FinishParkerized
StockSynthetic (Black - SpeedFeed)
Weight7.25 lb

You know LES, I've now sent 10 emails to him. 6 after he apologised on March 4, stating my order was being sent soon.
Here it is April 22 and he isn't responding anymore. My last one I just asked him to be straight up and tell me:
Am I or am I not getting the stock you stated you would send?
He has ignored those requests. It's sad that a company with an excellent product treat what might be repeat customers this way, it leaves a bad feeling in my mind about customer service that acts like this.
I stated to him: I know your busy, and he replied that that wasn't the case...so Joe, what is it? :(

I just got off the phone with Mossberg CS. I spoke to Angle, he stated Joe Z. has been out of the office for various Gun Shows and is currently at a Shot Show. It seems that Joe Z. is a BUSY man with little backup support for his role.

But on March 4 he stated that my order would be out shortly. On February 12 he stated that he wasn't that busy and I would be taken care of.
I understand he's now busy, but how do you explain the previous comments from him? How long would it take him to send out the stock to me? It's no excuse as far as I'm concerned. I'm a man of my word, and if I say your order will be out shortly I guarantee that it will be done!

I just got an email from Joe and he said he will be out of the office from 4/23 till 4/28.

I just got an email from Joe and he said he will be out of the office from 4/23 till 4/28.

Wow, could you tell him to answer one of my emails please. Did you mention any of this to him?
I have high hopes for a reply on the 29th then right?
How am I supposed to justify his lack of action when his words are spoken here on 3/4/14
-------
Is it on it's way yet? Will it come UPS or FED EX or USPS?

On Mar 4, 2014, at 7:29 AM, "Zakher, Joseph" <JZakher@maverickarms.com> wrote:
Your order will be out shortly. I do apologize.

Joseph Zakher

Product service leadman technical support.

Maverick Arms inc.

1001 industrial blvd

Eagle pass,TX 78852

1-800-363-3555

Back