• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cleaning the SA-20 For First Time

KaylenZ

Copper BB
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to guns and I recently decided to purchase the SA-20 for home defense. I'd like to clean the gunk (cosmoline?) in the gun before I go to a range and try it out.

I'd like to get 200 or so rounds through it, and then clean it while at the range.

I have no idea how to clean this thing. I'm assuming it's a lot more involved than putting a rag down the barrel.

I'm really worried about putting the gun back together after separating a few of the pieces to get to the parts that need cleaning and oiling.

If you one of you fine Mossberg owners would lend a kind hand and make a video on cleaning THIS particular model, I would very much appreciate it.

I'd particularly be interested in how to pull the various parts so that when it's time to put the gun back together, I won't have ruined the gun.

Any recommendations on cleaning kits, solutions, and tools would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can post a video!

Kaylen :D

Hello Kaylen Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on you new Mossy. You get a chance post a pic or two. :)

I've been searching around and I can't come up with a video showing the dismantle and cleaning of the SA-20.,,,,,,,but still working on it.

I did notice in the owners manual they do explain cleaning the gun.

edit: I also found this,,,,,
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1001

Hi Old Mossy,

Thanks for the reply. I've searched the entire web it seems. I've looked at any and all videos in regards to the SA-20 and other semi auto shotguns.

I think I've got an idea about the cleaning process. I've ordered all the cleaning tools needed. The only thing I'm still having trouble with is whether or not to take the magazine spring out for a cleaning. The owner's manual does not mention cleaning this. And from what I can tell, taking it out would be rather difficult and putting it back in, even harder.

From your experience, does the spring in the ammo magazine ever get dirty? Does it need to be cleaned?

Thanks,

Kaylen

Most shotguns, whether semiauto or pump, don't need regular cleaning of the magazine tube and spring, as this really only gets dirty from dirty shells. That being said, I would recommend cleaning it if the gun is brand new, as there could be some machining oil and burrs left that might affect reliability. From the Owners Manual it doesn't look too complicated to take apart, but very similar to the 930 take down.

I may be a little late here but welcome to the forum. I have learned a lot here.

I am fairly new to guns also but I have had the SA-20 for almost a year and have cleaned it many times. possibly too many from what I'm told. I have no idea how to make a video but I'll look into it further. Check that the chamber (barrel) and magazine have no shells in them. When you are SURE they are empty CHECK IT AGAIN. If you are not sure, STOP and ask someone at the local gun store.
When I first got it I read the manual and took it apart and reassembled in steps, only going a little further each time. The manual explains it pretty well. I currently use the OTIS cleaning system with the 20 ga shotgun adapter, 3 inch patches and 20 ga brushes after a day of trap and skeet. (Yes I use a 20 GA 20 inch barrel for trap and skeet and sometimes hit 18 - 20 on trap. I cheated and put a choke in) I use shooters choice cleaner and have had good results. the Hoppes did not seem to do as well for me but it works great on my rifle. The OTIS cable system is for cleaning the barrel and chamber only which is good for about 100-150 rounds depending on ammo. I pull 2 wet patches through from breach to muzzle, let it sit for 10 - 15 mins and then 20 ga brass brush 2-3 times. one more wet patch and then dry ones until clean, then 1 or 2 with light oil. Seems to work well. Repeat if particularly dirty. I actually use Tetra or Lubriplate grease on some of the action now, too much oil makes a mess. Light oil on the trigger group seems to work.

To disassemble the gun the cap must unscrew from the magazine tube. the forearm grip then slides off. I put it back together after that. Then I did it again and this time took the barrel out by sliding it off the magazine tube being careful not to force it or cock it to the sides. Watch how the piston comes out and be careful of it. You might have to work the charging handle a little (move the action to get it out and back in). I just wiped everything down and gave it some oil (I use Gun Slick) on the piston, mag tube and recoil spring and put it back together. moving the action back about half way seems to let the barrel seat easier. push it all the way into the action and put the forearm and cap back to hold it. Each time I just went a little further until comfortable.
If you are not sure have someone show you.

Good luck and let us know how you make out and if there are any questions.

It seems the magazine tube on the SA-20 cannot be cleaned as it is from the factory. At least I cannot figure out how. There is a lip that prevents the spring and follower from coming out.
Anyone find a way, please post it.

Great post Brian. Not too much info out there on the SA20.

The video is just about spot on for SA-20 disassembly/assembly. Clean the carbon from the gas port area if it gets too bad but otherwise, a little carbon won't hurt anything. You don't have to go too crazy cleaning it. Lightly lube moving parts with a good gun oil and a oily patch down the barrel. Although not really clear in the video, the bolt handle aligns with a "half-moon" section in the bolt for removal/reinstallation.

My mag tube was clean when I got it but if you wanted to clean it for whatever reason, you would unscrew it from the receiver. I would imagine some heat might be necessary to soften the Loctite it is probably installed with. Use a heat gun or similar--NOT an open flame! This would be similar to removing a 500 tube...

The only reason I would take the time to remove the lip from the mag tube is if I planned on putting on a tube extension.

Last edited:
"My mag tube was clean when I got it but if you wanted to clean it for whatever reason, you would unscrew it from the receiver."

I have read that unscrewing the tube is next to impossible

Back