• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hawaii

Lived there for 4 yrs when wife #2 was stationed there. Small island, eh?

We do have a few members from Hawaii, but they don't post too often.

I know I'm jealous though. The Mrs. and I were married in Lihue, Kauai and we try to get back every few years. Next trip is planned for 2016. It's one of my favorite places on earth...

Anyone here from hawaii? I'm new to oahu and trying to navigate this anti 2a state.

Good Luck! I know they are now supposed to be "Shall Issue", but don't know that restrictions on what you can carry have been hashed out by the legislature yet.

Lived there 88-91. Bread, milk, and anything else of note sure is expensive. Take care. Tom Worthington

I've been here for a few days. I haven't even received my guns yet so I haven't been able to experience their 2a policies. I'm trying to ignore their limitations and focus on how amazing this place is. It really is, otherwise.

I've heard horror stories about their gun laws though. And their use of taxpayer funds stresses me out already.

I'm hoping that by linking up here with another Hawaiian, I can wade through the beauracratic bullspit that much easier.

We do have a few members from Hawaii, but they don't post too often.

I know I'm jealous though. The Mrs. and I were married in Lihue, Kauai and we try to get back every few years. Next trip is planned for 2016. It's one of my favorite places on earth...

LES, do you stick on Kauai or do you travel the islands?

So far we've just been beach bums on Kauai.

Some friends moved to Oahu a little while back, so the next time over we plan to hop over...

It doesn't look quite as bad as NY, CT or CA but it's not good either. Looks like you have 3 days to register your guns after they arrive including getting fingerprints.

Hawaii is a "may issue" state for concealed carry. "In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property," a license to carry a pistol or revolver may be granted or denied at the discretion of the county police chief.[4] In practice however few if any concealed carry licenses are granted, and issuance of carry permits is normally limited to active or retired law enforcement officers, security professionals and military members. Hawaii does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states.
Acquiring a firearm in Hawaii requires a permit to acquire, issued to qualified applicants by the county police chief. There is a minimum 14-20 day waiting period for receiving a permit. A separate permit is required for each handgun(s) transaction to be acquired (valid for a period of 10 days), while a "long gun" permit can be used for any number of rifles or shotguns for a period of one year. In addition to passing a criminal background check, applicants must provide an affidavit of mental health, and agree to release their medical records. First time applicants must be fingerprinted by the FBI (fee applies). When applying to acquire a handgun, a handgun safety training course affidavit or hunter's education card is also required.
Firearms acquired within the state must be registered with the chief of police within 5 days. Firearms brought in from out of state, including those owned prior to moving to Hawaii, must be registered within 3 days of arrival. Registration of firearms brought in from out of state does not involve a waiting period, however a FBI fingerprint and background check will be conducted. Registration is not required for black-powder firearms or firearms manufactured before 1899.
Carrying a loaded firearm, concealed or not concealed, including in a vehicle, is a class A felony. Unloaded firearms that are secured in a gun case and are accompanied by a corresponding permit are allowed to be transported in a vehicle between the permitted owner's residence or business and: a place of repair; a target range; a licensed dealer's place of business; an organized, scheduled firearms show or exhibit; a place of formal hunter or firearm use training or instruction; or a police station.[10]
Fully automatic firearms, shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches long, and rifles with barrels less than 16 inches long are prohibited by state law. Also banned are handgun magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and semi-automatic handguns with certain combinations of features that the state has defined as "assault pistols".

And that pretty much sums it up. In the last 5 years one carry permit was issued, but was quickly revoked.

Supposedly, to be get to the counter to register a gun here, people have to get in line as early as 2 am. Ridiculous.

So an update seems due.

Using google's help I located a gun dealer in oahu. I went to Kaneohe Gun Shop today.

http://www.kaneohegs.com/

I met Daniel, the owner. I walked in and told him I was new to the state and was trying to get involved in the gun culture here and trying to wade through the gun laws.

I was met with hostility! He started lecturing me about how I don't know what I'm talking about and it's a very gun friendly state and who do I think I am?

I'm not one for confrontation unnecessarily so I asked him if I did something to offend him. His response led to a two hour conversation about his gun philosophies and training ideas. He's not a nice guy, he may be a little prejudiced against me, I couldn't tell, but I have a feeling I will be back. He's definitely full of good ideas and information, and although he seems a bit a-hole-ish, he seems to be squared away. Plus he knows the right people as one of the directors of the hawaii rifle association.

So that's my first experience with the gun culture in hawaii. More will follow.

Anyone else?

Not making excuses for the man but you very well could have approached him wrong.
I haven't been to Hawaii but had a girlfriend for a few years who was half hawwain and learned a lot from her family about culture there.
Its like other places with active native cultures. If you are a tourist you are tolerated for you money, if you became a resident ......well that's different.
Alaska is very similar with Native Americans.......you are a visitor, will always be a visitor.
Be polite respectful and don't act like you own the place or know everything.........just learn all you can about the culture before you interact too much and get a label or reputation.....your a Haole, will always be to them, and being military doesn't help so respect and humility should be at the forefront of all your interaction, listen more talk less. Just friendly advice

^^^ Yep. Keep your eyes and ears open. It will take a while but you may make some inroads. Parts of the society there are very closed, no outsiders accepted. You will see the same thing if you take up surfing. You will be challenged, ostracized and belittled if you try to wade into their pool.

But if you hang out, don't ask lot of what they may consider stupid questions and act respectfully you will eventually see a different side of them. Just takes time.

Found a brick of .22 today. Actually, several. At $40 a pop. I bought one and when my wife saw the $90 spend on ammo, she was less than pleased.

Story for anyone who may move to HI. I registered my weapons today. I cased them up, brought them took the Honolulu PD, filled out a few forms (request firm, permission slip for them to get my medical records, NICS style questionnaire) and paid for fingerprinting.

I also requested my permit to acquire a long gun. I can go back in 14 days to pick it up.

The whole process took maybe 2 hours or so. Not as bad as I expected.

Interesting fact about hawaii. You need a separate permit for a long gun vs a handgun. A handgun permit is good for a few days only, and must be requested each specific weapon. A long gun permit is good for a year and for as many guns as you want. And, for a state with so many loopholes, here's the weirdest thing. With these permits, you do not need to do an NICS check on purchase, as it's done when requesting the permit.

So in a few weeks I can get an SKS.

having lived in Hawaii for over 18 years, the biggest mistake you can do is act or look like you are better than the locals. has always been an issue. keep it low key and friendly and you will be ok. almost all my friends there were locals so I had no problems.

Good notes to remember. I'm a relatively low key guy and I try to be respectful to everyone. That's definitely important around here. He's still the only one I saw who seemed to have a problem. I'll just stay away from his shop.

Aloha and welcome to the 808 sorry you went to the wrong dealer Daniel is a bit eccentric and moody. Try O.G.C. on Kahai str. in honolulu or Young guns on paa str. Also try 2A Hawaii Hawaii's firearm community. Another thing to remember is live Aloha and its not who you are its who you know. Aloha

Good to hear. He definitely knew his stuff, and he's the only one like that I've met yet. I'm still looking for a place to shoot. Haven't pulled a trigger since I was in kansas, sadly. Know of any ranges that don't require a membership or insane amounts of cash?

I'm beginning to think they make it hard to shoot so people won't do it.

Back