• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A little 22 Magnum fun Model 640 KD Chuckster

I have a Mossberg 640KD Chuckster in 22 Magnum. I got it a few years back, and finally got around to getting the furniture refinished. Of all my 22 magnum long guns this one is the most accurate so far. I'm surprised a little that the Mossberg rifles don't have a better reputation out there for the accuracy they produce. I guess it must be a bit of brand name snobbery, since I can't find any other reason not to like them.
It's hard to see but I had the checkering stained in a darker tone than the rest of the stock when it was refinished. The checkering was dark mahogany, and the rest was in a black walnut stain. It's a great rifle and fun to shoot. For the life of me, I can't get my camera to get a sharp photo of my rifles in full length. So the two long shots are the best I can offer for now.

Very nice!

I've got a Simmons .22 Mag on one of my plinkers and it's been a great little optic...

Nice! I also have a 640KD with the checkering. Some of the info I dug up says "plain stock" for the KD model. I would like to come across a 640KS with the gold still showing. My 640KD has a Bushnell scope but still shoots great. It doesn't get out as much since I got the 817s in .17HMR.

WOW, what a blast from the past. I can't recall if my old Chuckster was a K model, but for 60$ used in the late 70's it shot great, REALLY GREAT! Not as well made as my current Ruger all weather 7722Mag bolt, or my Win 9422M XTR, but accuracy was not so different. Maybe it was me being younger?

My two old Mossberg's are tack drivers.
I'm going to agree with you and call it "snobbery".
Beautiful Rifle. Keep her clean and your Grandchildren will be shooting that rifle.

Back