• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

This weekend I went to my tree stand for bowhunting wild boar at night.One hour after dusk I had a boar coming to my hunting spot slowly and quietly.
Once the boar begun to eat corn I started toraise the bow for aiming.I pressed the flashlight remote switch at bow.The animal was in a bad position.It was slightly quartered to me.Quickly ,I aimed to the right side trying to reach lungs.I released the string and the arrow reached the boar.
It made a super fast running.
My hunting buddy and me found a 200 pounds male forty yards away with the help of his dog ,a teckel.
The arrow,with an australian broadhead( WIDOWMAKER )reached one lung .
aqazenyr.jpg

rega4e4y.jpg

I've take wild boar here in South Florida with a 4" 357 Mag, my Marlin 336 in 30-30 all quick kills. And once grabbed a little piggy and did it in with a knife so as not to spook other game around, bad Idea.... it literally squealed like a stuck pig.
A friend shot one with 00 Buck shot in his Mossy 500 and it dropped on the spot also. Moral of the story is you can kill a pig with almost anything if you shoot it correctly. I always try for an ear canal shot.
Good luck and good hunting.

That´s true that shoot placement is one of the keys for a sucessfull hunting.But,in this case,bowhunting wild boar,also the type of broadhead and its weight is very important.
Here,the wild boar (mainly the male)has a very thick hide in the vitals area that helps to protect from the tusks from anothers male,specially during the rut season.The thickness and hardness of this part of the skin is incredible.We call this part "escudo"(shield).
I have seen mechanical broadheads failing,00 shoots that didn´t penetrate and also people with problems to reach the vitals with a knife due to the hardness.
I try to do it the best possible and use a good broadhead with a heavy arrow.
That wild boar in picture(about 3 years old) ,with a weight around 200 pounds,has a hard skin with a weight around 50 pounds.Normally,the older the male the bigger the shield.
I don´t know if it is the same in your State.
Thanks for your comments.Good hunting ¡¡¡

This 140 pounds female wild boar was hunted last weekend by a friend.The arrow with a Grizzly broadhead reached the heart making exit hole and massive blood trail.It was found at 30 yards.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386860129644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386860129644.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 47
Sometimes there is injuries in wild boar driven hunts.Those two hunters were injured by a big boar.It was two hundred kilometers from my home.I received pictures by Whatsapp;I do not know details
You can see the boar in last picture.uploadfromtaptalk1393876032652.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393876093841.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393876140698.jpg

I went to Bow Safari near Coalgate. The hog produced 55 lbs of meat. I didn't weigh it before it was dressed and quartered but I would have guessed her at about 175 lbs. I shot it with my AR using .223 62 grain soft-nose. It dropped like a rock and twitched for a bit after a single shot right behind the skull. So much for .223 not being big enough to take a hog. :lol:

While I think the .223 is more than adequate to take a hog, it does have its limitations. If you are competent and patient enough to always go for a neck shot, you're good to go. I know I'm not.

But a shoulder shot or heart shot would potentially just wound it. And a quartering forward shot through a gristle plate would probably not end neatly.

For my money the 30-40 Krag is the shizz....

I hunted this 150 pounds male wild boar with the Mossberg 500,Vortex Strikefire red dot and Federal sabot slug from 30 yards on a very fast shoot in a driven hunt.There was exit hole and found boar in 40 yards.

uploadfromtaptalk1412620498291.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412620525661.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412620548020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. Well done Sir!!

Back