• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SilencerCo. Salvo 12 Shotgun Suppressor

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
If you haven't seen this yet, it's definitely worth a look...

SilencerCo. Salvo 12

Models, specs, and price can be found in the quoted link below...

OVERVIEW

The SilencerCo Salvo 12 is the first and only commercially-viable shotgun suppressor on earth. It represents an incredible advance in engineering and technology, and carries with it the same quality and service as SilencerCo’s other products.

Every year, millions of sportsmen and women venture into the fields to hunt. While rifle and handgun suppressors continue to increase in popularity, shotgun owners have been without a real solution for ear protection. Some choose hearing preservation in the form of earmuffs or plugs for relief in controlled environments, but spurn their use in the field or in a home protection scenario, where the ability to detect other sounds is critical.
The Salvo 12 is modular in nature — the shooter can add or remove sections to balance their sound suppression, weight and length needs. At its full length of 12 inches, it brings sound down to 137 dB at the muzzle — well below the 140 dB hearing-safe level set by OSHA.
Whether you grab a shotgun for hunting, shooting clays or home defense, the Salvo 12 fits most common shotguns — provided you have a choked barrel. The suppressor attaches to the the existing choke threads via an adapter. Due to differences in shotgun manufacturer and choke preference, it is important that you select the correct adapter.
The Salvo 12 is just one more example of the type of innovation that has garnered a fiercely loyal customer base for SilencerCo.

http://www.silencerco.com/salvo

I'm sure we've all seen the folks at Red Jacket suppress a Saiga 12, so we know that shotguns have been successfully suppressed before. The original Red Jacket Saiga models are integrally suppressed and they are all custom built in their shop. They do offer a detachable model, but it will only work on 8"-8.5" Red Jacket custom Saiga SBS conversions. Their units are more for a niche market within a niche market.

While SilencerCo.'s claim to be the first "commercially viable" shotgun suppressor on earth is open for debate, they'll very likely be the first successfully marketed and distributed model at retail. With this Salvo 12, an individual can simply buy the suppressor, acquire the ATF approval and $200 tax stamp, and install with the proper adapter in virtually any 12ga shotgun that's threaded for chokes. I'm going to be watching this Salvo 12 suppressor very closely as more information and reviews become available...

The rjf suppressor design was based around the old WW2 Delisle and MP5SD suppressors that use a ported barrel to bleed off some of the gas before exiting to atmosphere. It is a very good design.

With that said, silencerco is one of the best suppressor companies today. And this is unlike anything I have ever seen tried on a shotgun before. I too am interested in seeing more.

I don't see how they make this claim though. It goes against everything I have ever heard or been told.

"the shooter can add or remove sections to balance their sound suppression, weight and length needs"

I would assume that each section houses a number of baffles. Reducing the number of baffles by removing sections would reduce the sound moderation, wouldn't it?

Yes it would, though there is always a point of diminishing returns.

In this video, you can see (through thermal) that the last few baffles do very little, other than what a muffler does (allow the exhaust to cool before exiting to atmosphere).

My main concern is the ATF's prior determinations that says (paraphrasing) that a silencer cannot be modified in any way unless you apply for a new tax stamp, and/or are a licensed (SOT) manufacturer. They have said for years that a suppressor may be shortened (never lengthened), but shortening one is usually reserved for when one becomes damaged.

But another concern is where they consider each part as a suppressor itself, and thus why you cannot have spare "parts" laying around, that's what I don't get.

And also, for what it's worth, silencerco also made a shotgun silencer several years ago.

There has.

Most of the ones I have seen on shotguns over there are reflex type.

I think their claim of being first rests on their definition of "commercially-viable".

There are and have been suppressed shotguns before the Salvo 12, but this will likely be the first one that you or I could walk into a Class III dealer and buy. This is something my LGS would actually keep in stock. Whatever the reason, most other designs have never been successfully commercialized or distributed in any meaningful way...

Whatever the reason, most other designs have never been successfully commercialized or distributed in any meaningful way...

Low demand is my first guess?

And then taking into consideration where one would obtain a subsonic (less than 1050 fps) shotshell to make the most of it.

Interesting concept.

I really need to get the ball rolling on getting a suppressor.

You would love it. Especially on a good host gun with a round that suppresses well.

$1,400 :( Ouch but I guess early adopters always get raked over the coals to have cutting edge equipment. Eventually others will mimick and drive the cost down with more competition. I'm sure in the next couple of years we will be seeing more and shotgun suppression enter the market place. Its insane these days how cluttered the suppressor market has become compared to just 10 years ago. Its no wonder the NFA ATF process is so damned swamped and has spiked for turnaround timeframes if your snail mailing in your paperwork. The efile system shows promise but its got its own "issues" but in theory your hurry up and wait time is effectively cut practically in half going that route once they get it all sorted out.

Mike I agree with you I need to get into the stamp collecting club too one of these days. I still think registering an AR lower as SBR or getting a 590 AOW will be how I'm getting my feet wet on that one. With the SBR then a can down the road makes more sense to me. YMMV.

Its insane these days how cluttered the suppressor market has become compared to just 10 years ago.

There is definitely more variety in the market to choose from, but still only a handful that I would spend good money on...

Back