• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

About that warning shot....

I don't think there is a one answer for every situation but for sure in most I would not fire a warning shot. I guess it comes down to if you feared for your life and thats the only time the trigger should be pulled and that better be pointed to the person that you fear.

If someone comes into my house uninvited (stranger) I shoot to kill warnings are out of the question if I hear someone trying to come into my house I will wait for him on the otherside loaded and will not give him the chance to break into another house where someone may not be able to protect themselves

the only justification is that you feared for your life. anything else can and will get you in trouble. your one and only mantra is that you feared for your life.

castle law is not a blanket cover for killing someone in your house. best to read up on your states laws. no matter what, you most likely will face some expenses
hiring a lawyer.

I have a sign up trespassers will be shot that's more than enough warning at that point they enter at their own risk last time I checked Texas backs up the home owner in break in situations

For sure i'm no lawyer nor expert. But I have read enough that I will only shoot if I fear for my life or that of my family. But not if the person is just in my house. My son already faced an intruder and chose not to shoot. He said the persons fight left once he saw the gun my son was pointing at him. Cops commended my son for not shooting though he legaly could. We did not have to hire lawyers or deal with the police or prosecuter other than going to court to point the man out. If my son had shot him then the story would be much differant. Plus there would always be the second guessing and guilt hovering in your mind. So again, I will not shoot unless absolutely necessary.

My short and sweet reply to this thread.
If I pull the trigger I am aiming at center mass!

Agreed, just stateing my thoughts. For sure everyone has the right to take action to whatever situation they are up against. No arguement here on that point from me.

Got involved in a discussion of this issue today while sitting in the 'customer lounge' waiting on my truck to get fixed. Some interesting comments and stories by a couple older folks. One gent about my age related a incident he had with a local hoodlum (who was armed w/.22 pistol) who broke into his house last year, but subsequently decided to surrender when this gent confronted him with a 12 gage. A woman about my age, stated that she doesn't go anywhere without her .38 revolver, including to bed. She had also had occasion to use it in the past. Between myself, and these 2 folks we convinced another woman (also in her 60's) to buy and learn to use a gun, even tho she had never owned or fired a gun in her entire life.

We are making progress. Interesting how much progress can be made during casual conversations with complete strangers. :)

I just wonder how folks can go through life with out home protection. as long as the newbies and probably all of us, need to be trained.
to many stories of folks getting hurt or killed in home invasions around these parts. yesterday there was an home invasion were the bg got shot
several times. but now it seems its about money owed. but the guy that got shot did enter uninvited.

I understand people make terrible decisions. But i will give them one chance to re think. If they decide to proceed after being confronted with a deadly weapon then they alone have chosen the consequences.

I've never had the displeasure of making that decision at home. But I've been on the wrong end of a deadly weapon enough when outside the home. While I absolutely will defend my home to whatever extent is necessary, you have to realize that taking a life is HUGE. It's not fun like some might think. That power rush and adrenaline goes away very quickly.

This is just my experience. But there are faces and images I see every night when I go to bed, and likely always will. Take it from someone who knows, lethal force is serious business and if you're going there first, it sucks to be you.

While I do believe that taking a life should not be taken lightly there are way to many what if factors when someone is breaking into your house.its a huge risk for your family. the person coming in already know they are doing wrong what if the wife or kids are getting something from the kitchen in the middle of the night and stumble unto this person or what if the wife is home alone when someone breaks in. just to many variables to many what ifs if I lived alone than maybe not shoot right away but I have kids that depend on me for their safety and I would never take that lightly

and that's the conundrum. there is no easy answer. many thoughts have been put out there
and you can take from them what you will and maybe even form your own. I have talked to
a few local cops and got some ideas from them. suggest you do the same.

There was a case where a lady came out of her house and saw her kid getting a bad beat down from a gang of thugs more than a block away. Too far away to shoot, so she put a round into her lawn to attract their attention. It worked. Should she get 20 years in prison? It saved her kid but was a "warning shot". IIRC, she was handicapped and couldnt run down there. This was in FL.

It is legal to fire a warning shot here in FL. But AFAIAC, that would be a waste of ammo... ;)

Do I want to kill a home invader in cold blood? No, not really. I'm in an area that home invasion is rare (compared to the "money-owed" city invasions) but home break-ins are common. Anyone breaking into a house around here will likely face an armed homeowner inside or armed neighbor when they try to leave the area. Any threatening movement will likely involve shots fired in defense. Police station is 5+ minutes away so they can't be relied on to provide protection in a "timely" manner. If necessary, a convenient weapon (break-in tool or kitchen knife) will be put in the dead perps hand to facilitate closing of the investigation.

Back