• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New MVP Owner & Issue with 5.56 Ammo

abysal

Copper BB
Hello Everyone, I'm a new owner of the MVP Varmint .223/5.56 rifle. I've had the rifle out twice and it's a joy to shoot. I've shot about 160 rounds through it so far, however not without encountering some issues, one of which I'm still trying to work out.

The first time I took it out, I was using the stock 10rnd aluminum magazine and 2 additional 10rnd D&H magazines (also aluminum with Magpul foliage green anti-tilt followers). I found that the brass casing around the bullet crimp would snag on the front metal lip of the magazine. This mainly happens because the magazine does not fit snug and tends to be a bit sloppy in the mag well (seems to be a common problem). I filed the front lip of each magazine slightly which seemed to solve the snagging issues.

However upon shooting the rifle, I found the aluminum magazines would fall out of the mag well, maybe once or twice every 20 shots. It seemed to happen with all 3, as I've marked and set them aside. 30 round AR PMAG Gen2 had no issues. On my second trip out with the rifle I switched to using 10 round PMAG Gen3s without any further magazine problems.

** The last issue has been the most frustrating. The rifle seems to shoot .223 without issue, however 2-3 out of every 10 rounds of 5.56 62gr XM855 fail to fire. There's a primer strike dimple in each of the FTF 5.56 rounds that seems identical to ones that did fire.

Additionally, sometimes you can re-cock the bolt and it will fire on a 2nd strike. These same rounds that would FTF in the MVP would then fire out of an AR rifle we had with us, when we cycled them again.

This makes me believe the issue may lie with the firing pin not hitting hard enough or slightly not out enough to shoot the thicker primed 5.56 rounds?

I'm curious if the firing pin be adjusted easily? Or am I miss-diagnosing the issue, could it be something else? I plan on contacting Mossberg support for assistance and see what they say, I'll report back at that point.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help & insight you may provide :)

I've had no feeding issues or seating issues with the stock mag or 10rd pmags.

I've found that pmc xtac primers had numerous light primer strikes.

All others I've had solid results.

Btw the rifle loves the hornady vmax bullet.

I've tried the 50gr fiocchi last weekend and was getting sub moa at 100 yards. 55gr vmax hits at 1 moa.

Back