• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vehicle purchase opinions.

NCMAV88

.270 WIN
So my beater crapped out on me. I scrapped it due to the repair bill would be twice what it was worth.

So that leaves me shopping for a new (to me) vehicle. I have looked around my area but due to having a $4000 budget and the fact that I am 6'1" and 385 lbs my choices are rather limited. I am not in a big rush to buy, as my parents have lent me a truck to drive back and forth to work and the wife-mobile is the primary family car. Whatever I buy will be primarily used for back and forth to work and the occasional errand. I have narrowed it down to two vehicles.

A 2001 Ford escape with 156k miles.

And a 1997 Toyota 4runner with 196k miles.

They are both inline 4 cylinders and both manual 5 speeds. They are also both two wheel drive. Escape is front wheel. 4runner is rear. They are both in really good shape mechanically and both have spotless interiors. All power options work and both have after market stereos. So now to my concerns.

The escape is nice but I have read some horror stories online about this model year because it is the first year they were produced. When I first test drove it the airbag light was on and the windshield seal was cracking and missing pieces along the bottom. I brought those issues up to the salesman and they sent it to the shop to get both issues fixed. The escape runs great and I could not find anything mechanically wrong with it.

The 4runner is clean as a whistle. It runs and rides really well. I could not find anything mechanically wrong with it either. However at some point in the past someone has been in the wiring. There is a small toggle switch mounted in the driver's foot well as well as a small indicator light mounted on the dash. I was unable to figure out what these were for. Also there is an aftermarket horn mounted under the hood that is not currently connected to anything.

My wife does not like the 4runner because of its age and mileage. She thinks I should buy the escape. I really like the 4runner. But I tend to be an impulsive buyer so I am trying to make a well thought out decision. That is why I am here asking for opinions. Which one would y'all buy?

P. S. Sorry for the long winded post. Tried to cover as many details as I could!

With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.

I'd go with the toyota...put some work into the engine just to be safe. And you're better off.....those things last forever....unlike the ford.

My wife has the 06 escape....nothing but problems....
I'd rather have her old 98 jeep grand cherokee with a straight 6....

2nd gen 4runner 3.0 v6 is prone to head gasket problems. Look for a 3rd gen 4runner with the 3.4l v6. excellent vehicles. I had a 2000 that i sold at 300k on the clock, and ran as it did the day i bought it. the 3.4l toyota v6 is an excellent motor, the only drawback is that the timing belt and water pump need to be replaced every 90,ooo miles. As well, find a 5 speed manuel, they are quick and high winding little trucks.
Just one guys opinion from experience.

I would go with the Toyota as well.
The small toggle and light could be an alarm system that may not be functioning properly, I installed a remote start in my '94 Land Cruiser, It instructed me to put the small toggle in the driver side footwell.
Other than that I am of no help.
Best of luck!

Buying new I'd say the Ford.

Buying used I'd definitely go with the Toyota.

I had a Geo Prizm years ago with a Toyota engine in it. I sold it with 288K miles on it just because the rest of the car was falling apart, the engine would probably have gone for another 200K. And the only thing that ever got changed on it was the oil and plug wires.

I'd also take a Honda, our 2008 CRV has over 240K miles on it and the engine has not had any maint other than plugs at 100K and oil changes. I hate to pick them over American brands, I come from a long time GM family, but Toyota and Honda have mastered small engine reliability and longevity.

Depends what your doing do you tie a boat drive a lot of dirt roads not sure where your from do you get snow will your wife drive it if yes to the first two Toyota is the way to go if you get snow and your wife drives it has she driven rear wheel drive in the snow

We get snow maybe once a year and my wife is from northern Illinois. This is mainly gonna be a back and forth to work car. I live on a dirt road but it is well maintained. No towing. If I'm gonna tow something I'm gonna use the wife's pathfinder.

Last edited:
Being that you are going to be going down dirt roads, again i say 3rd gen 4runner, you can put the coil overs from a trd tundra on and it will give you an excellent drive.

We recently had to trade in our trusty '04 Pontiac Grand Am. It was the 4th G/A that I had owned, but we traded it for an '08 Escape (V6) and it's been a good vehicle so far.

I cannot attest to the long term life of it or even long term maintenance costs, or even if any other car or production year is decent, but so far this one has been good.

Though I can't get the 20 MPG rating no matter how I try. Perhaps if I didn't live in the mountains with constant up/down driving and stop/go redlights around town I could, but not around here.

So after some more research and looking at our finances we have pretty much decided on the 4runner. I think it's gonna work better for me and the payment will definitely work better for my wallet. And with the 4runner I will probably be able to pay it off come tax time. The guy dropped the price 1200 bucks right out the gate so I am gonna do some haggling to see if I can get him a little lower but either way I'm buying it!

Back