• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Short action options ATR

Well some of this conversation was started in my introduction but thought if share the rest with you guys in the Optics forum.

I've been on a quest to find a better setup for bases and rings on my ATR 243. I originally was going with the DNZ mounts but they still only offer them for the long action calibers that I can find. In my various searches I looked at numerous fitment charts for weaver style scope bases and found differing results. Some stayed the Weatherby Vanguard mounts were compatable ans some said the Remington 700, also I read talk on numerous forums concerning the same issue.

I knew of another company that made integral mounts but they offered them in two pieces not a solid one, I've used them before so I figured I would give Talley Mfg. a call. That was yesterday after closing time but they called me back this morning. Of course I asked for a part number and they give it to me no problem and then I mentioned I was glad I called because I was ready to try the Weatherby setup. Here's his response.

"The Weatherby setup would work but they weren't the perfect fit on the rear, it was a match to the Remington 700". Alright sounds great but now I'm wondering if a DNZ for a short action 700 would work or are the screws in a one piece mount a little off?

Has anyone tried it?

Clint

Haven't tried that, but I do have two short action Remy 700's set up with DNZ mounts though. If you want to take the spacing measurements from your receiver I'll compare to my Game Reaper mounts...

Well I might not have all the measurements but here's what I came up with

From front of front hole to rear of rear hole 5.728

Same way of measuring on middle screws, 4.276

Basically outside to outside measurements

Hope that makes sense

Nope, not gonna work.

My 700 base measures 5.28" to ends of outside holes and 3.80" to ends of inside holes...

Thanks for checking, at least I know what options I have now. Believe I'll try the Talley set again, made just like the two piece DNZ mounts but I can get them a little cheaper. Still made in the USA just a different town in South Carolina

I will, just got done bedding the action, now just waiting for it to cure and the moment of truth, getting it apart and seeing if I used enough compound

I like a heaver shirt when I shoot....oh wait....(sorry i couldn't resist)

Hey, I responded when it suited me. ;)

Well the Talley setup worked but it's the first set of rings I ever had dent my scope where the two halves come together! I wouldn't have known but I was recently going to upgrade my scope and found it. Guess I'll just leave it be.

Back