• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting with my oldest daughter

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Not sure if this is the right forum, but may have mentioned in another thread that my oldest daughter was visiting last week. Had a good time getting her familiar with my shooters. Wasn't particularly interested in accuracy, but more of a famfire, etc. Spent an hour or so teaching her the essentials of each gun: loading/unloading, assembly, disassembly, safety features, the difference between a single and double action, proper stances & target acquisition/sights, a little about internal, external and terminal ballistics, etc.

Covered and fired the following in the order below:

Sig 1911-22
Savage 6A
Winchester 9422M
Ruger NMB .41 mag.
Mossberg 590 Mariner

Then we went out back and she loaded and fired a full load of each one at a variety of targets I'd set up. A large paper stand, and a bunch of old plastic jugs filled with water.

She did very well with all of them and even had to clear a FTF in the Savage. Didn't take any pics or vids, since I didn't want to get distracted from her fam fire.

She was a little nervous about the Ruger and the 12 gage, but handled both well. Actually surprised her that the shotgun didn't knock her on her butt or break her shoulder, like she'd seen on some utube videos. Fired a few #4 birdshot, followed by 00 and Brenneke slugs.

Made me real proud of her. :D:D

One of the best things in life, being able to share with your kids, have just returned from a week staying in the Hollyford Valley with my son, took the .270 win ATR for a walk but nothing seen, nice brown trout however. Most important thing was just spending time with him. Google earth Gunns Camp, Hollyford Valley, New Zealand, real nice kick back place. Will work on posting some photos soon.

Btw, she was so impressed with the 590, that she is seriously considering getting one for HD instead of the P226 Sig she had her eye on :) . Also fixed a pocket knife she keeps in her purse & presented her with one of the boot knives I make as kinda a prize for how she handled the big guns.

bootopen.jpg~original

Back