• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Composite trigger group

Tater

I know the 590-A1 has a metal trigger group housing along with some other models while others have the composite.

I've had composite trigger guards on shotguns for years and have never chipped cracked or otherwise broken one.

Have any of you great folks ever had a composite trigger group fail because it was composite and not metal?

John I don't have any guns with the metal trigger group housing,,,,,,I can tell you that there has been none posted here on MO that I remember seeing about the composite breaking.

Thanks for replying, Mossy.

I was curious as I'd seen someone discussing this on another forum or perhaps Youtube. As far as I'm concerned they are tough as nails.

Have any of you great folks ever had a composite trigger group fail because it was composite and not metal?

Yes, and as a result, my 500 does not have a mechanical safety because the tab is broken off of the back of the composite trigger.

Don't know. It just started "not working" one day.

When I stripped it, the little broken plastic tab from the back of the trigger was found rattling around underneath of the trigger in the bottom of the trigger pack.

There have been others on here that the same thing has happened to.

I just don't chamber one until I'm ready to shoot that gun. That's safer than trusting a mechanical safety anyway.

That's interesting. (And bad as well.)

One thing that seems odd to me is that, for example, a 500 trigger assembly for a 12 or ?? gauge won't fit in the 500E (.410). I would think that machining would be easier if they were all interchangeable.

It may probably would be easier, but they're different guns. A Beretta 92 barrel doesn't fit in a Beretta 21 slide either.

I would only buy the metal group if it were a match / comp setup to gain some improvement other than durability ....

I'm quite happy with the materials used in my 500E but I was curious. I had at one time read (or thought I'd read) where the trigger groups were interchangeable on the 500 series.

Back