• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500/590 mod help

Goodoldboy

Copper BB
I'm sure it's been discussed numerous times but I'd like to get some info from guys that have changed barrels on their Mossberg 500. I have a 500A that was given to me new 20 years ago, so selling it to get another gun is not an option. I want to remove the 20" barrel and 7rd mag tube to make it 24" with 9rd+ capacity. I've read that the 590 & 835 barrels will fit the receiver and will have to get a 590 mag tube because the way they attach. Has anyone done this or anything like it?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Yes those barrels will fit your 500A receiver and will work with the proper mag tube.
(is it worth it just to gain 1 more shell?)

You get a chance post a pic or two.:)

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Yes those barrels will fit your 500A receiver and will work with the proper mag tube.
(is it worth it just to gain 1 more shell?)

You get a chance post a pic or two.:)

Thank you, glad to be here!

I have a guy that will give me $150 for my 20" barrel and 7rd tube, that should almost cover the 590/835 barrel. I'd need to get the 8rd 590 tube and an extention. I will be less out of pocket modding this shotty than selling it and buying a new one.

Welcome aboard @Goodoldboy .

Just a heads-up, there is a big issue with what you're trying to accomplish...

• 835 barrels only come set-up for the short 5 + 1 mag tubes (4+1 in magnum)
  • The 8 round 590 mag tubes only work with 20" 590/590A1 barrels
  • 590/590A1 barrels don't come any longer than 20"

Problem: The barrels used with each mag tube length have the barrel lug soldered on in different places.

That being said, you will not be able to use an 835 barrel with an 8 round 590 mag tube without having the barrel lug removed and re-soldered further out on the barrel. This modification will likely cost you more than a new barrel and mag tube combined.

Solution: To achieve the configuration outlined, you'll need to use a 24" 835 barrel with the shorter 5-shot 590A1/835 mag tube and a 4 round extension. This will give you a 24" barrel with a 9+1 capacity.

Hope that makes sense...

Welcome aboard @Goodoldboy .

Just a heads-up, there is a big issue with what you're trying to accomplish...

• 835 barrels only come set-up for the short 5 + 1 mag tubes (4+1 in magnum)
  • The 8 round 590 mag tubes only work with 20" 590/590A1 barrels
  • 590/590A1 barrels don't come any longer than 20"

Problem: The barrels used with each mag tube length have the barrel lug soldered on in different places.

That being said, you will not be able to use an 835 barrel with an 8 round 590 mag tube without having the barrel lug removed and re-soldered further out on the barrel. This modification will likely cost you more than a new barrel and mag tube combined.

Solution: To achieve the configuration outlined, you'll need to use a 24" 835 barrel with the shorter 5-shot 590A1/835 mag tube and a 4 round extension. This will give you a 24" barrel with a 9+1 capacity.

Hope that makes sense...

Thank you.
That all makes sense. I found a 24" 590 barrel that will suit my needs, just need the 590 mag and extension.

Just curious where you ran across a 24" 590 barrel?

As far as I know the 590 barrels have never been made in anything longer than 20"...

Well there you go.

It's interesting that Mossberg makes the barrels, but doesn't put them on any of their factory models. Good luck with the project and be sure to post some pics once it's finished...

Thanks guys for the help and comments. I had to buy a new follower, since I sold the barrel and tube, so went with a GG&G 590 follower and a Meprolight Tru-dot night bead sight. With selling the old parts, I'm in about $150 for all the upgrades...not bad in my opinion.

Back