• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 5500 MKII Bolt release issue** pics added

Deadeye762

Copper BB
Hello all,
Im hoping to get the answer I need to fix my old mossy.

Basically the gun cycles by hand when i have live shells loaded. The problem that I am having is when the bolt is open, I drop a shell in the chamber and hit the bolt release button. I hear a slight click and the bolt does not go forward. If I push up on the elevator, the bolt slams shut as normal. I just cant get the bolt to close with the bolt release. I have come to the conclusion that the shell stop assembly must be bent, however Im not 100% sure on that.

If I am correct in my idea, which way should I bend the shell stop? im assuming back in more, but Id like to hear any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I forgot to mention that when I removed the shell stop and tried releasing the bolt, it worked flawlessly, which I was expecting, however im not sure what part of the piece is bend and what direction

Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the 5500 so lets bump this one up and hopefully someone who has one can help out.

These are some questions off the top of my head that may help us to diagnose the problem:

Is this a new problem or something that has been ongoing since you got the gun?

Has the gun been cleaned/lubed recently? If so did this problem start after reassembling the gun?

Does any part of the piece show excessive wear or marks that would indicate excessive pressure?

Does this piece actuate another intermediary piece that may be bent or seized?

If all else fails you may want to contact Havlin Sales. They sell parts for older Moseebergs and they may be able to help you out.

Is this a new problem or something that has been ongoing since you got the gun?
This is a new problem

Has the gun been cleaned/lubed recently? If so did this problem start after reassembling the gun?
Yes, I have completely cleaned and lubed the gun from top to bottom. The problem started after a jammed shell from a dirty chamber. I had to replace the charging handle as there was a crack in it, im assuming it was from the jam that the piece has been tweaked beyond factory specs.

Does any part of the piece show excessive wear or marks that would indicate excessive pressure?
I am not seeing any other wear other than what you can see in the picture.

Does this piece actuate another intermediary piece that may be bent or seized?
Not to my knowledge. As stated once I remove this piece the bolt release works flawlessly.

If all else fails you may want to contact Havlin Sales. They sell parts for older Moseebergs and they may be able to help you out.
I am planning on ordering the piece new, however I wanted to get the gun running normally again sooner

Back