• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How expensive is the hobby?

.40-.45 said:
when reloading you wont spend less money but you will shoot 30-40 percent more for the same money
thats partially true...
I do save a bit of money reloading for my 7mm Rem Mag... I just cant shoot that thing that much... Im good for a 20 or 30 shots, but after that, I get tired of it...
I do shoot more with my AR reloading for it. Then you start the whole "buy in bulk" to save money which really turns into shoot in bulk...
I haven't started reloading for pistol or shotgun yet....

i've been lurking on the 3gun site. it seems like something that would appeal to me. i'll have to check on it around these parts. although i'd just like to watch.

for now.

ok, been doing a bit of studying.
a local range has monthly matches in 10 different events (SASS, .22 silohette, multigun, CMP, and others)
I wanna do multi-gun, but think im outgunned with a sub compact XD and a pump shotgun. I could probably run my 1911, but would be handicapped with capacity.
I dont have a .308 for heavy metal division.

Maybe just give up on multigun for now and go with pistol.

Do some lookin into all the classes Fronty, if you havent already.

I had begun lookin into all this as my daughter and I are tryin to get started with competition. I still dont have a rifle though and was considering a Mini14. We arent trying to keep up with everyone else really, just to challenge ourselves and get out and have some fun!

There are amature classes and also classes that support not fancy high end tac weapons that are straight up iron sights.

Our plan is to use my 590A1, 1911, and whatever i settle on rifle wise, like I said, quite possibly the Mini14, though I really want the M1A Scount rifle... thats gonna be a ways off though.

Like you, I'm not looking to out run everyone else, just go shoot and have fun and see who is better btween me and my boys.

from what Ive read so far, I would like to add two guns to the collection, but that can wait.

What two guns are you likin?

I had thought about down the road changing up what we're usin. I've looked at possibly a 930 24" barrel maybe and extended magazine from Nordic Comp. And for a handgun, I really like the FN-P .45 with the 14 round magazine. The FNH handgun is made in the Columbia South Carolina plant!

Just as range guns, but I would like to have an XD Service in 9mm and either an SA-20 or an 1187 in 20 gauge.
Mostly, from my reading, it looks like those are the smallest I can go with for most competitions. I could get a bit more capacity out of an XDm, but I like the XD.
Ill take a look at the FN.

I'm likin the SA-20 also! Just started lookin at those recently!

I like the FNH, made in the USA, high capacity .45 Auto and priced very reasonably! The owner of the shop I go to said he can order a new one and have it delivered for like $630!!!

Im needing a better 9mm...
I have a Hi-point that was my first pistol and it works most of the time. Its fun to shoot, but has a habit of light primer strikes. Its great for shooting when you want failure drills.

A few thoughts:

1. Check to make sure the league in which you intend to compete allows handloads or reloads. You may only be able to use them for practice. That will save you money but will also mean you're shooting a different load in competition than you are in practice.

2. If you want to be really, really good ... practice ammunition will most likely end up being your biggest expense, including the firearms you purchase to use in competition.

3. I LOVE competition but I don't care for rules that seem inane to me. For that reason, I'm still on the fence about certain types of competitions. You'll need to assess your own tolerance for all the rules in a given league.

4. Some would say that too much competition will ruin your actual practical shooting abilities. Others would argue exactly the opposite. As with most things the reality is probably somewhere in between, but it is something to be considered. Personally, I like to practice like I intend to fight. For example, it's highly unlikely that I'll be wearing a specialized belt carrying 8+ magazines when the time comes to defend my life or the lives of my loved ones.

5. Steel pistol matches are probably a good place for a noob to start. Jumping right into three-gun is sort of like diving from the tallest platform the first time you dive into a pool. Bowling pin matches might be another good type of match to start with. If you're going to start with steels, you might want to use a .22.

rules have their point.
My turn off on steel is shooting the same patterns over and over. kinda like skeet. its fun a few times, but other than the wind, its the same.
Three gun or multigun may be a bit over the top for a beginner.
Im still studying a bit. I started this thread to get an idea of how much ammo gets used in a competition and how much to join the competition.

Fronty Owner said:
rules have their point.
My turn off on steel is shooting the same patterns over and over. kinda like skeet. its fun a few times, but other than the wind, its the same.
Three gun or multigun may be a bit over the top for a beginner.
Im still studying a bit. I started this thread to get an idea of how much ammo gets used in a competition and how much to join the competition.

I won't argue that rules have their point. IMO, however, some rules have limited benefit.

I'm not suggesting you shoot steel matches for the rest of your life. It's just a good, simple way to get the feel for competition if you haven't shot in firearms competitions before. A friend of mine decided this year that he wanted to start shooting competitively. He started with steels on my recommendation. After his first match, his adrenaline was so high that he could barely load his magazines. His hands were shaking. His knees were a bit wobbly.

If you have previous experience in shooting competitions, by all means start with something more complex.

Nothing like jumping in the deep end to see if you can swim. What’s the worst that can happen.....you lose, so what. It’s about fun, its not life or death. Might be a waste of money and time at worst. Learning session at best. Might be a natural and in that case you saved a bunch of money and time by cutting to the chase.

My two cents on training is to start collecting lead...any lead, learn to cast and reload and shoot your guns till they catch fire WOOO WOOO !!

ok, If I start with steel pistol, do I have to use solid lead bullets or are FMJ factory ammo legal?
Im not currently reloading for pistol.

I spent a a little over $300 on a holster mag holders belt & shotshell carrier ....pretty much basics you need plus at least 3 magazines ..... uploadfromtaptalk1411057147060.jpg

Back