• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern Musket~~never DONE~~

@oli700 ,

Rather than the hammer, I'm wondering if it's not the trigger group housing on your CMC unit that's chewing up the carrier. The width of the scarring and greater damage at the outer edges makes me think that could be the culprit. Looking down into the open lower, do you notice any movement in the housing when you manipulate the trigger? If the rear of the housing indexes up high enough when the trigger is pulled that could cause contact. Is there any wear on the top surface of the housing that would suggest contact with the carrier?

Bill,

It ain't the hammer, 'cuz the width of the peening is more than the hammers width.

Take your rifle completely apart and throw ALL the pieces in a river and let them sink to the bottom. Better yet, do it in the ocean so you expose everything to corrosive seawater. Yeah. Don't salvage a single component. Your problem is most obviously going to start with that barrel so make sure that goes in the SEAL TEAM SIX Training Ground... pronto. Obviously you have multiple issues that cannot be resolved.

Well, actually you can likely save the buttstock and the sights but that's it. I think that the brake and barrel are mostly behind this, but you need to take a shotgun approach and ditch as much as is feasable. You have your command. Do what needs to be done, and then start all over after next fire season.
^^^This

@oli700 ,
Rather than the hammer, I'm wondering if it's not the trigger group housing on your CMC unit that's chewing up the carrier. The width of the scarring and greater damage at the outer edges makes me think that could be the culprit. Looking down into the open lower, do you notice any movement in the housing when you manipulate the trigger? If the rear of the housing indexes up high enough when the trigger is pulled that could cause contact. Is there any wear on the top surface of the housing that would suggest contact with the carrier?
don't think so, there is no sign of any contact other than the hammer and the hammer pad on the carrier

Dude, none of my carriers look like that.
I know you're using an aftermarket trigger, but they sure are slamming together. Whether upon the hammer striking the firing pin and/or when the bolt cycles rearward.
But honestly, that's the first time I've seen that big of a bite on the carrier.
I can tell its on the cycle rearward but the way the burr is rolled toward the front of the carrier

Bill,
It ain't the hammer, 'cuz the width of the peening is more than the hammers width.
Look again and compare the wear width to the firing pin width.....it’s the hammer…..you got doughnut crumbs in your eyes ?

Take your rifle completely apart and throw ALL the pieces in a river and let them sink to the bottom. Better yet, do it in the ocean so you expose everything to corrosive seawater. Yeah. Don't salvage a single component. Your problem is most obviously going to start with that barrel so make sure that goes in the SEAL TEAM SIX Training Ground... pronto. Obviously you have multiple issues that cannot be resolved.
Well, actually you can likely save the buttstock and the sights but that's it. I think that the brake and barrel are mostly behind this, but you need to take a shotgun approach and ditch as much as is feasable. You have your command. Do what needs to be done, and then start all over after next fire season.
You’re an asshole

So are you

I think its improper heat treating of the carrier. The bolt suffered that, stand to reason the company that made the BCG was consistent in sucking though the entire manufacturing process.
I am thinking once the wear broke through the feeble hardening process it just stared going to town on the material under the surface. The rocket wire used in the CMC trigger group is stiffer and more powerful than OEM to assure reliable primer strikes and this could have accelerated the process
To further bash the carrier manufacturing process look at the edge of the rail in one of those picks and you can see a rough edge…..the BCG has been nothing but crap parts of it are just wearing out a different rates way premature IMO

Damn I wonder now if this is the same bolt I bought. I know we were passing back links when we found parts available.

I'll have to check it out but i don;t think I have even 500 rounds through my pistol. The concept was cooler than the reality. LOL

you would know, the lugs on the bolt were so beat up after the first 200 rounds that you could see damage without looking for it, put in a RRA bolt and it looked better after a couple thousand than the AR Stoner looked after the first mag

AR Stoner, Midway

Look again and compare the wear width to the firing pin width.....it’s the hammer…..you got doughnut crumbs in your eyes ?

You’re an asshole

What does firing pin width have to do with it?

Sincerely,

An Asshole

AR Stoner

I've read some bad reviews on their barrels...

Trust your gut dude, this is a case of a bad BCG... cut your losses and drop yourself a Benjamin on a new one... or get a whole BCG with a new bolt and keep the extra as a spare.

What does firing pin width have to do with it?

Sincerely,

An Asshole
you said the mark is bigger than the hammer so it can't be the hammer
As a reference I suggested looking at the firing pin......assuming 2+2 would be calculated

The firing pin is slightly narrower than the mark
The firing pin is also slightly narrower than the hammer face
Using your minds eye you can see that the mark is the same width as the hammer

Furthermore you can see the faint finish wear as the hammer rides down the carrier perfectly lined up with the mark

What else could possibly come into contact with the hammer pad on the carrier ?

You are far wiser and more experienced than me so if you know something just come out with it and quit playing around, I don't care if your bored it's not my job to help you past your shift as you toy with me to pass the day

I've read some bad reviews on their barrels...

Trust your gut dude, this is a case of a bad BCG... cut your losses and drop yourself a Benjamin on a new one... or get a whole BCG with a new bolt and keep the extra as a spare.
This is actually helpful and I believe this too.....

Joe Bobs has the melonited Seekins M16 BCG on sale for 122 to the door so I took a chance on it....."far exceeds Mil Spec...." they say. Hard to find any info on it but the price is right and i'm sure it GTG. I almost went 100 bucks more for a fancy BCG but I got a grip

yeah, people swear by them....I have no clue but they seem to have awesome deals every now and then

yeah, people swear by them....I have no clue but they seem to have awesome deals every now and then
LES turned me on to them, They do run pretty good deals every now and again.

Joe Bob Outfitters is United States Veteran owned and operated...

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/

Selection and service is excellent. I buy almost all of my parts, components, etc. from them and even though they usually have the best prices on a lot of stuff I would gladly pay a few more bucks to buy from them than most other places out there...

Back