• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rescued an 835 Ultimag!

I was browsing my gunstores used rack, and I came across this near flawless 835 Ultimag - it was listed as a "smith's special" for $200 because it had issues feeding from the magazine tube.

For that price, even if I had to replace the entire mag tube assembly I'd still be coming out alright.

g6ug24H.jpg

I took it home and broke it completely down to give it a thorough cleaning and see if I could ID the problem with the mag tube.

I found it pretty fast, lol

spFPbFB.jpg

Looks like the previous owner didn't read their manual about the mag limiter, forced another shell in and split it.

This is about how I found the dowel inside the mag tube, which was causing the spring to bind.

Pulled it out, cleaned everything and it functions flawlessly.

Now I need to get myself a Slug barrel with a cantilever rail, and one of the 18.5" 835 barrels!

Nice find!
I can't believe the stupidity......

I went to my LGS to pick up some targets on the way to the rifle range, and I found this little goodie sitting on the used rack among a few other shotgun barrels.

6uVbgd3.jpg

It's a 24" rifled barrel with rifled sights, and matching camo pattern, for $100 flat.

yzTZlio.jpg

I also picked up some TruGlo fiber optic sights for the vent-rib barrel - I used a friends 835 equipped with them and was sold on them on the first shot.

i1q9RH9.jpg

I did some clay shooting a few days ago, and for giggles and grins I tried a few from the rifled barrel.

It's worse than cheating, scatters the shot like a hurricane and makes it near impossible to miss, but limits you to an extremely close range.

Then I put the vent-rib back on and took a shot at a clay with my first 3.5" 2 1/8oz #4 turkey load, which was quite an experience.

I thought I missed for a second, because that clay was just . . GONE.

I love these 835s.

Last edited:
That looks like the one you posted in the op, for $200....
Or are you just updating us?

It is the original I posted in the OP, I just stumbled across the used rifled 835 barrel, with matching camo at a gun store.

I wish I had got a cantilever rifled barrel for mine. It's nice to have a stable scope mount for shooting sabot rounds.

Now that's a score! What a nice looking 835. I wish I could find good deals like that. ;)

Very nice. Every once in awhile I stumble on a deal like that. It is like winning the lottery and makes you want to keep shopping!

Back