• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR Tactical loose barrel?

J H

Copper BB
Hi folks!,
Wanted to get some input on my new MMR Tactical. Wasn't looking for this tool but got a deal that I couldn't pass up. Went to the range to see if I could even hit paper and after a few adjustment clicks was grouping inside 2" at fifty yards, which is good for me, as I haven't used open sights in over thirty years. My excitement turned to concern when I got home and found the barrel loose. The quad rail is real sloppy and the barrel is slightly loose. The only thing keeping it from spinning off it the gas tube. My question is, if I chuck this in the vise and try to remove the rail, what keeps the tube from getting bent?
Looks like this gun is going to be a real learning tool for me.
Thanks
John

Welcome aboard @J H .

You'll have to forgive me, but I haven't put my hands on an MMR yet. How does the handguard attach to the barrel nut? Is it held in place by set screws or does it thread onto the barrel nut itself? There may be a thread locking compound at play, so if you can't get the handguard to break loose can you push the gas tube roll pin out? If so you should be able to back the tube out through the upper receiver. That would give you more freedom to manipulate the forend as needed...

I assume the hand guard threads on the barrel nut. The only set screws I see are on the receiver end of the nut (3 screws). No access to gas block and tube as they are covered by hand guard. Very muck like the hunter model except with quad rail hand guard. Before I put a wrench on the guard I want to be sure I won't cause any other damage .

Gotcha.

I know the Hunter handguard simply threads onto the barrel nut. Mossberg does like to use thread locker, so a few minutes with a heat gun should loosen it up plenty. If you keep a solid grip on the barrel you should be able to keep it from rotating as you turn the handguard. That should keep the gas tube from getting tweaked...

Back